Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)
Author Message
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>    For our next generation systems, we want to network together the real
>time boxes, and use a workstation for the human interface.  We will bring all
>the measurement data into an SQL data base, and do all the human interaction
>through the data base, using triggers to make it all event driven.

>    We are currently evaluating new software application development
>environments, including Neuron Data & ObjectCenter, PP Visual Works, and
>NextStep.

>    We are looking for enhanced productivity, maintainability,
>(flexibility & customizability), and quality of the delivered product.  We
>need support for a team of programmers working together on projects.

>    We need the best possible GUI, with accurate graph displays, and
>hardcopy outputs.

>    We have some desire for portability across OS's, like Unix boxes, and
>Windows.  A perfect solution would include a GUI framework that could easily
>be ported to our real-time box, with proprietary graphics hardware.

>    One thing we have been wrestling with is the true value of strong type
>checking vs weak typing & late binding.  We feel that there is an inherent

                        .
                        .
                        .
Which key do I hit to say "tie all existing threads together"?  It's
past time that someone mention ScriptX as an alternative to
1.  Visual Works as a cross-platform development
    environment;
2.  TCL and Scheme as a prototyping tool; and
3.  Smalltalk as a "pure" object-oriented language.

I don't know whether Kaleida is ready to deliver the goods--well, in

who sounds to be ready to start moving into implementation--but their
propaganda department certainly has done a good job of associating
them with the right labels:  object-oriented, multiplatform, multimedia,
dynamic, robust, multithreadable, ...  Is there anyone looking to Kaleida
and General Magic and Taligent, rather than, say, QNX and Next and Tcl
and Scheme, in constructing a technologic base for the future of his or
her organization?

Incidentally, I'll probably float an RFD for comp.interoperable this
fall.  If it existed already, I'd send follow-ups there.  I think those
of us with persistent requirements to move between platforms need a good
place to talk.  More on that, later.

I've pruned follow-ups a lot.
--

Cameron Laird

Sat, 08 Feb 1997 05:16:33 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

Quote:

> I don't know whether Kaleida is ready to deliver the goods--well, in

> who sounds to be ready to start moving into implementation--but their
> propaganda department certainly has done a good job of associating
> them with the right labels:  object-oriented, multiplatform, multimedia,
> dynamic, robust, multithreadable, ...

Cameron,

Thanks for helping to spread the word about Kaleida Labs' ScriptX
software.  ScriptX is a programming language and class library designed
for use in developing multimedia titles.  As you state, it is
object-oriented, multiplatform, multimedia,  dynamic, robust, and
multithreadable.

What follows is some general information about ScriptX.  To request
additional printed information and an application to join Kaleida's
Worldwide Developer Program, please contact Kaleida's Developer Services
group; please send your name, organization, mailing address, and
optionally your phone number and fax number.

--Harvey Alcabes
  Kaleida Developer Services

    Kaleida Developer Services:

            AppleLink: kaleida.dev

            Kaleida Labs, Inc.
            1945 Charleston Road
            Mountain View, CA  94043 USA

            Phone: 415-966-0846

            Fax: 415-966-0496

What Is ScriptX?

ScriptX is a foundation technology upon which new multimedia applications
and tools will be built.  Engineered by Kaleida Labs as a multimedia
development environment, ScriptX eliminates the hardened constraints
imposed by metaphor specific high-level authoring tools.  ScriptX is
similar in flexibility and expressiveness to other large scale general
purpose programming languages.  However, it is more precisely defined as a
dynamic, second generation object oriented programming language and
application framework, designed specifically for the creation of
interactive multimedia.

The Kaleida Media Player (KMP) is a multimedia playback engine that
delivers ScriptX content across a broad range of operating environments.

When will ScriptX be available?

Beta versions of the ScriptX Software Development Kit (SDK) for both
Macintosh and Windows are available now to members of Kaleida's Worldwide
Developer Program.

Version 1.0 of the ScriptX SDK and KMP for both Macintosh and Windows will
be available by the end of 1994.

Who will use ScriptX?

At introduction, the ScriptX SDK will be targeted at professional
multimedia designers and experienced programmers.  Those programmers and
designers who have an in-depth knowledge of object oriented systems and
methodologies should find ScriptX particularly well suited for their
skills.

What are the key development features of ScriptX?

Object Oriented
ScriptX embodies all of the key concepts of Object Oriented Programming,
including encapsulation, inheritance (including multiple inheritance) and
polymorphism. More importantly, ScriptX offers the expressiveness and the
leverage characteristic of true object oriented languages. Expressiveness,
measured by the directness with which a design intention can be expressed
in a software design solution. Leverage, measured by the savings in time
that results from the ability to concurrently develop pieces of an
application and the opportunity to reuse previously designed and tested
components.

Dynamic
The ScriptX architecture supports dynamic object binding during run-time.
A ScriptX application is capable of adapting and adjusting to user input
during playback, for more realistic modeling and simulation. In addition,
ScriptX applications may be open ended. Developers can provide add-on
accessories (e.g. new characters, new tools, new data for collections,
etc.) that their users can dynamically add to a running application.

Time Based
The concept of time is built into the core of the ScriptX architecture.
This feature allows you to create time based animations and complex
audio/visual synchronizations that can be precisely controlled and run
predictably cross platform.

Data-rich
ScriptX includes advanced data handling support (linked lists, keyed
lists,
hash tables, and B-Trees), which offers developers tremendous flexibility
for structuring and storing data, scripts and media assets. ScriptX also
includes a search engine for data retrieval.

Metaphor Neutral
ScriptX features a foundation authoring model that allows authors to
choose
the authoring metaphor most appropriate to their application (e.g. - page
layout, card and stack, frame-based score, or flow diagram) and provides
the ability to freely mix and match authoring metaphors within a single
application.

Cross Platform
ScriptX offers developers the ability to create a single, platform
independent application by combining the media assets and programmatic
code
into a single format.  This, in combination with the portability of the
Kaleida Media Player (playback engine), ensures developers that their
application will run on a large installed base across a broad range of
devices.

What is Kaleida's Worldwide Developer Program?

Kaleida's Worldwide Developer Program is a program for multimedia
developers and programmers who will produce titles, applications and tools
based on ScriptX technology.  The program is designed to familiarize
professional multimedia developers with the next-generation
technology-ScriptX, an object-oriented multimedia system that includes a
powerful, multi-threaded scripting language, a sophisticated real-time
scalable media engine, and a rich set of multimedia building blocks.

The Kaleida Developer Program provides early access to ScriptX software,
training, consulting, technical support, referral services, co-marketing
activities, workshops, conferences and quarterly mailings in order to
assist developers to fully utilize the advanced features of ScriptX and
rapidly deliver compelling products.

Who should join the developer program?

Kaleida's program is designed for content and tool developers, programmers
and authors of major multimedia project-both independent and corporate.
Producers, publishers, content owners, and peripheral hardware
manufacturers are also encouraged to join. A note to those new to
Kaleida...Developing a title in ScriptX currently requires that you work
in
a text-based programming environment.  In order for early adopters to
develop successful titles and products with ScriptX, you or someone on
your
team should have strong programming experience.

What is provided to members of the developer program?

As an Associate member of the Kaleida Worldwide Developer Program, you are
entitled to the following:

- ScriptX Developer Releases (Including Beta and Version 1.0 of both the
Kaleida Media Player and the ScriptX Software Development Kit.)

- Technical support via e-mail, fax and phone for one year
(Twenty-four hour response target for technical questions, with priority
access to early adopters.)

- Opportunity to attend training for a fee

- Opportunity to receive consulting for a fee

- Informative quarterly mailings

- Participation in co-marketing programs

- Invitation to the Kaleida Worldwide Developer Conference

What are the requirements to join Kaleida's Associate developer program?

- Complete the Kaleida Developer Program application, review and sign the
Confidentiality, Licensing and Testing Agreement and return the
information
to Kaleida's Developer Services group

- Include a company profile, resume of experience, and/or press releases
and articles reviewing titles or applications you have produced.  In
addition, you may submit a copy of a multimedia title or application that
you have produced in the last year, so that Kaleida can get to know you
better.

- Pay a fee of  US$1000

Q. What will the system requirements be to run ScriptX titles at Version
1.0?

The current set of minimum requirements for the KMP call for:

Windows:  25 MHz 386DX, 8 Mb RAM, Windows 3.1
Macintosh: 25 MHz 68030, 8 Mb RAM, System 7.1

The current recommended configuration for the KMP call for:

Windows:  25 MHz 486SX, 8 Mb RAM, Windows 3.1 (MPC2)
          CD-ROM  (for installation & playback)
          Audio:  SoundBlaster compatible (Wave, MIDI, output only)
          Video:  S-VGA

Macintosh: 25 MHz 68040, 8 Mb RAM, System 7.1
          CD-ROM  (for installation & playback)
          Audio:  Sound Manager 3.0
          Video: 8-bit

Q. What are the systems requirements to develop in ScriptX today?

For development purposes, the recommended system requirements include:
(the following is a super set of those listed above, plus additional sound
card and video modes).

Windows: 25 MHz 486SX, 16 Mb RAM, Windows 3.1 (MPC2)
                  (8 Mb RAM is possible, but limited)
         CD-ROM  (for installation)
         Audio:  SoundBlaster compatible (Wave, MIDI, output only)
         Video: S-VGA
         Hard Drive: Large capacity, 15 Mb free

Macintosh: 25 MHz 68040, 16 Mb RAM, System 7.1
                  (8 Mb RAM is possible, but limited)
         CD-ROM  (for installation)
         Audio: Sound Manager 3.0
         Video:  8-bit
         Hard Drive: Large capacity, 15 Mb free

Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:17:08 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

Quote:

>What Is ScriptX?
>ScriptX is a foundation technology upon which new multimedia applications
>and tools will be built.
>Time Based
>The concept of time is built into the core of the ScriptX architecture.
>This feature allows you to create time based animations and complex
>audio/visual synchronizations that can be precisely controlled and run
>predictably cross platform.

Can someone explain more about what it means to have "The concept of time is
built into the core of the ScriptX architecture"?

In particular, what would be different from embedding the concept of time into
the objects and/or syntax of a language like Smalltalk, Scheme, or Dylan?

Thanks much,
Patrick

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:23:33 GMT
[...]

I've thought about this too, much of what ScriptX contains could be
implemented in smalltalk. Basically (all the World Wide Developers are
under a non-disclosure agreement so this will be pretty basic) lots of the
scriptX objects have a clock attached to them and thus can register interest
in a number of ticks being consumed. From this comes a number of
facilities; animation, real-world modelling etc. that can be relied upon
across platforms.

Defining a set of objects to facilitate multi-media development(make up
what ever you will) and attaching clock objects to them should be possible
in Smalltalk.

OK having opened the door a little on scriptX let me close it with a
recommendation that scriptX is not smalltalk with time added, its lots more
and may be well worth a look as an alternative to smalltalk when the full
production release is with us. Suffice to say our investment in learning
smalltalk will not be wasted.

Lindon Parker
(OK better add the disclaimer here..)
Speaking for myself and not my employer.

Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:53:23 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>software.  ScriptX is a programming language and class library designed
>for use in developing multimedia titles.  As you state, it is
>object-oriented, multiplatform, multimedia,  dynamic, robust, and
>multithreadable.

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>What Is ScriptX?

>ScriptX is a foundation technology upon which new multimedia applications
>and tools will be built.  Engineered by Kaleida Labs as a multimedia

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>Who will use ScriptX?

>At introduction, the ScriptX SDK will be targeted at professional
>multimedia designers and experienced programmers.  Those programmers and
>designers who have an in-depth knowledge of object oriented systems and
>methodologies should find ScriptX particularly well suited for their
>skills.

>What are the key development features of ScriptX?

>Object Oriented
>ScriptX embodies all of the key concepts of Object Oriented Programming,
>including encapsulation, inheritance (including multiple inheritance) and
>polymorphism. More importantly, ScriptX offers the expressiveness and the

                        .
                        .
                        .
The big question I have about Kaleida is to what extent you'd
like world {*filter*}.  Press releases always talk about multi-
media and authoring and such; however, there are a lot of us
looking for industrial strength object-orientation, which is
network savvy, extensible, ..., just to fulfill MIS- or engi-
neering-level projects.  If ScriptX can do those basics
adequately, we'd be willing to overlook the parts of the manuals
that deal with the glitzy stuff.  To what extent should those of
us thinking about NextStep, or NT, or General Magic (!), or
UNIX, just to implement our conventional applications in a strate-
gically sound manner, widen our search to consider also ScriptX?

I've trimmed follow-ups.
--

Cameron Laird           ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/users/claird/home.html

Wed, 19 Feb 1997 03:33:31 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

Thanks for this! Is there somewhere a person can go to find out even
more about ScriptX -- what it's for, where it comes from, etc.
Are there any papers on it? I assume it's commercial?

thanks!
matt

   Newsgroups: comp.lang.dylan,comp.lang.smalltalk,comp.lang.misc,comp.lang.scheme,comp.multimedia
   Date: 2 Sep 1994 03:53:23 GMT

[...]

Wed, 19 Feb 1997 03:47:14 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

Quote:
>Thanks for this! Is there somewhere a person can go to find out even
>more about ScriptX -- what it's for, where it comes from, etc.
>Are there any papers on it? I assume it's commercial?

Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:16:20 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

Quote:

>>Thanks for this! Is there somewhere a person can go to
find out even
>>more about ScriptX -- what it's for, where it comes from,
etc.
>>Are there any papers on it? I assume it's commercial?

I just got the new release.  The enclosed contact address is:

Kaleida Worldwide Developer Program
Kaleida Labs, Inc.
1945 Charlston Road
Mountain View, CA 94043
(415) 966-0400

Note that I am under a non-disclosure, so can't say anything
about
ScriptX.  But it is fun!

Cheers,
-Ken

Mon, 03 Mar 1997 00:09:09 GMT
 Good things *not* from a garage? (was: Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??)

Quote:

>I just got the new release [of ScriptX].  The enclosed contact address is:
>Kaleida Worldwide Developer Program
>Kaleida Labs, Inc.
>1945 Charlston Road
>Mountain View, CA 94043
>(415) 966-0400

Note that we also just put up some official-type information on our
www server:
   http://web.kaleida.com/official/

-dan

Mon, 03 Mar 1997 07:17:59 GMT

1. Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??

2. Visual Works vs NextStep vs NeuronData & ObjectCenter vs ??

3. Visual Works vs NextStep & SmallTalk Deployment

4. Visual Age vs Visual Works with Gemstone

5. stdcall vs c vs cdecl vs pascal vs whosyerdaddy

6. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

7. Visual Basic VS. REALBasic (MS VS. MAC)

8. C++ vs VisualAge for SmallTalk vs Visual Basic

9. not vs !, and vs &&

10. vs. SmallTalk (Visual Works) or GUI builders

11. MDI vs. Visual Works

12. MASM vs TASM vs VC++ vs DJGPP vs A*^ vs PCC vs DEBUG,, "Hello World!"