the non-existence of files.  wouldn't returning #f, say, make a lot
more sense?

david carlton

Wed, 04 Aug 1993 01:27:08 GMT
 open-{input,output}-file

   Date: 15 Feb 91 17:27:08 GMT

   Why does the scheme standard require that open-{input,output}-file
   signal an error if the file can't be opened?  As far as i can tell, it
   makes it impossible to write (portable) programs which can deal with
   the non-existence of files.  wouldn't returning #f, say, make a lot
   more sense?

Your suggestion was discussed at the last Scheme Meeting and was rejected for
reasons which I cannot remember at this time.  As I remember, one of the
overriding considerations was that someone presented a portable alternative.
Could someone refresh my memory as to the details of this discussion.
--------------------
Morry Katz

--------------------

Sun, 08 Aug 1993 00:42:48 GMT

1. newbie would like to break input file and output to separate files

2. Reading from input file writing to output file

3. sed: input file = output file

4. comparing an input file with an output file

5. Mutiple output files single Input file

6. Single file input ==> multi file output

7. with-input-from-file, with-output-to-file

8. with-input-from-file, with-output-to-file

9. Open multiple files based on user input?

10. open-input-file

11. Input via OPEN(5,file='..')

12. Help on opening multiple input files(test vector files)