RnRS legal identifier names
Author Message
 RnRS legal identifier names

seem to prefer the former.)

In any case, the need to exclude one or the other for
this particular kind of identifier seems not of a piece
with the rest of Scheme.

--d

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RnRS legal identifier names

Quote:

>seem to prefer the former.)

pretty clear that the specification "If a comma appears followed

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RnRS legal identifier names

Quote:

>>seem to prefer the former.)

>If it were the latter, how would you ever get unquote-splicing?  After all,

>pretty clear that the specification "If a comma appears followed

You're right.  I didn't think this through.

I guess my question should have been: Why allow legal

of them won't unquote them the way it does for other
identifiers?  The "Identifiers" section doesn't

to some considerable effort toward making illegal what
would have been rather harmless identifiers (e.g.,
401k, 9-to-5, -!-, .iota).

--d

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RnRS legal identifier names

Quote:

>seem to prefer the former.)

former would be the correct parsing.

-Steve

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RnRS legal identifier names

Quote:

>>seem to prefer the former.)

>former would be the correct parsing.

The formal BNF in sec. 7.1.1 confirms what you say.  I
got stuck on the English description in sec. 2.1, which
doesn't seem to have caught up with the formal
description.

--d

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RnRS legal identifier names
+---------------
| I guess my question should have been: Why allow legal

| of them won't unquote them the way it does for other identifiers?
+---------------

It *will*, if only you will put some whitespace in to disambiguate

        > (define foo '(bar baz))

        (gorp bar baz)

        (gorp bletch)

-Rob

-----

Applied Networking              http://reality.sgi.com/rpw3/
Silicon Graphics, Inc.          Phone: 650-933-1673
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy.         FAX: 650-933-0511
Mountain View, CA  94043        PP-ASEL-IA

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. identifier names

2. Identifier name length in g77

3. String representation of an identifier's name

4. identifiers vs. IDENTIFIERS

5. CALL, identifier-2, and address-identifiers

6. Legal proc name and namespace

7. Time for a Fresh Scheme Standard: Say Goodbye to the RnRS Relic

8. Derived Syntax in RnRS and beyond

9. Time for a Fresh Scheme Standard: Say Goodbye to the RnRS Relic

10. Old RnRS available?

11. Time for a Fresh Scheme Standard: Say Goodbye to the RnRS Relic

12. Time for a Fresh Scheme Standard: Say Goodbye to the RnRS Relic