Using command-line tools in VS.NET 
Author Message
 Using command-line tools in VS.NET

Is the XSD.exe tool (that can create a typed dataset/class from an xsd file)
available only from the command prompt? Is there any way to integrate it
into VS.NET?

In general, are there a lot of command-line tools not available within
VS.NET? I find it annoying to have to use a command line especially if the
command prompt (current path) is large. Any tips?



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:50:26 GMT  
 Using command-line tools in VS.NET


Quote:
> Is the XSD.exe tool (that can create a typed dataset/class from an xsd
file)
> available only from the command prompt? Is there any way to integrate it
> into VS.NET?

> In general, are there a lot of command-line tools not available within
> VS.NET? I find it annoying to have to use a command line especially if the
> command prompt (current path) is large. Any tips?

You can add XSD files to an existing project and VS.NET has a cool
editor for it (Query view).

Also, if you want to create a typed dataset/xsd from scratch,
you can add a new item, data folder, "Data Set".

-c



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:58:45 GMT  
 Using command-line tools in VS.NET
Chad's reply probably means that this won't interest you, but if the large
paths you are talking about are paths to the .NET tools, then you may be
interested in using the Visual Studio .NET Command Prompt - it's in the
start bar, off of the Visual Studio .NET group.  It basically launches the
command prompt window, but also sets up paths to the .NET tools, so you just
have to go to the directory of your app, and type 'crc test.cs', or
whatever.

For what it's worth... :-)

Mike


Quote:
> Is the XSD.exe tool (that can create a typed dataset/class from an xsd
file)
> available only from the command prompt? Is there any way to integrate it
> into VS.NET?

> In general, are there a lot of command-line tools not available within
> VS.NET? I find it annoying to have to use a command line especially if the
> command prompt (current path) is large. Any tips?



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:54:20 GMT  
 Using command-line tools in VS.NET
By default VS.NET puts your projects in "My Documents/Visual Studio
Projects" which is where I want them. However when working there the command
prompt ($p$g in old speak) is the full width of the command window. I want
to know where I am but I don't want that.


Quote:
> Chad's reply probably means that this won't interest you, but if the large
> paths you are talking about are paths to the .NET tools, then you may be
> interested in using the Visual Studio .NET Command Prompt - it's in the
> start bar, off of the Visual Studio .NET group.  It basically launches the
> command prompt window, but also sets up paths to the .NET tools, so you
just
> have to go to the directory of your app, and type 'crc test.cs', or
> whatever.

> For what it's worth... :-)

> Mike



> > Is the XSD.exe tool (that can create a typed dataset/class from an xsd
> file)
> > available only from the command prompt? Is there any way to integrate it
> > into VS.NET?

> > In general, are there a lot of command-line tools not available within
> > VS.NET? I find it annoying to have to use a command line especially if
the
> > command prompt (current path) is large. Any tips?



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:59:53 GMT  
 Using command-line tools in VS.NET
I guess what I'm asking is this: if I have created an XSD from an xml doc,
how do I then create a typed dataset (or class) from it without using the
command-line XSD.exe utility?


Quote:



> > Is the XSD.exe tool (that can create a typed dataset/class from an xsd
> file)
> > available only from the command prompt? Is there any way to integrate it
> > into VS.NET?

> > In general, are there a lot of command-line tools not available within
> > VS.NET? I find it annoying to have to use a command line especially if
the
> > command prompt (current path) is large. Any tips?

> You can add XSD files to an existing project and VS.NET has a cool
> editor for it (Query view).

> Also, if you want to create a typed dataset/xsd from scratch,
> you can add a new item, data folder, "Data Set".

> -c



Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:03:04 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Compiling,assembling,deploying thru command line NOT thru VS.NET

2. passing commandline parameters using Vs.net HELP???

3. Replacing resources of an EXE file using command line commands

4. preventing the logo and command line from being printed during command line build

5. Command Line Modify Tools->Options->Directories

6. vc152 command line tools...

7. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

8. Build differences for IDE vs command line

9. SPARCcompiler vs. gnu - command line options

10. Command line vs IDE

11. Service Control Manager vs. Command Line

12. command line vs. prompt loop

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software