System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException
Author Message
 System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException

Using C# or VB7 I still get the same error using a 3rd Party OCX called
DBCAD (a CAD viewing OCX)

An unhandled exception of type
'System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException'
occurred in blah, blah dbcad.dll

I have tried to wrap these in Tm{*filter*}and aximp.exe but still get the same
message when I try to do something in the code.
Any help on the explanation of this error would be a great deal more helpful
that the non-exisitant MSDN help !!
Dave

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:57:02 GMT
 System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException

Quote:
> Using C# or VB7 I still get the same error using a 3rd Party OCX called
> DBCAD (a CAD viewing OCX)

> An unhandled exception of type
> 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException'
> occurred in blah, blah dbcad.dll

I had the same problem with some Rationa Rose API's I was trying to use.
I believe this is a limitation in Beta 1.  I was able to get around it
by late binding my variable.  So, instead of:

dim oModel     as RationalRose.Model

I did:

dim oModel     as Object

Yes, you'll lose intellisense and statement completion on that variable,
but at least it will get you running.

--
Patrick Steele

Lead Software Architect
Image Process Design

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:56:20 GMT
 System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException
Hi,

This is documented in the NET Framework readme and will be fixed in
Beta2.
For late binding Option Strict must be OFF.

 - Tom

From the Readme
***************
Calling members on a COM object's pure dispatch interface
(dispinterface) throws an
exception
ISSUE:
When a dispinterface is imported into metadata, it will appear as an
interface with
the attribute
System.Runtime.InteropServices.InterfaceTypeAttribute(ComInterfaceType.I
nterfaceIsIDispatch).
Although compilers will not show an error at compile time if you try to
call members
on the interface or class in an early-bound fashion, such calls will
fail at run time
with a VTableCallsNotSupportedException.
WORKAROUND:
Use reflection to locate the declaration of the interface during run
time (late binding)
for such calls. See the documentation on reflection, discovering type
information at
run time, and the System.Type class for more information.
***************

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:23:08 GMT
 System.Runtime.InteropServices.VTableCallsNotSupportedException
Hopefully this is more readable.

Hi,

This is documented in the NET Framework readme and will be fixed
 in Beta2. For late binding Option Strict must be OFF.

 - Tom

From the Readme
[...]

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:50:56 GMT

1. System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.StringToHGlobalAuto

2. catching System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

3. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040100)

4. Graphics.DrawLine() produces error: A generic error occurred in GDI+, InteropServices.ExternalException

5. Unhandled Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException: Could not create System Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System

6. bufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbufferoverrunbuf

7. System.Security.SecurityException

8. System.Security.SecurityException

9. ? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_

11. System::Runtime::InteropServices::Out with Arrays

12. about the namespace System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp