Object pooling without using COM+
Author Message
 Object pooling without using COM+

Could someone point me to an article that discusses implementing object
pooling without using COM+???

TIA,
KC

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:30:49 GMT
 Object pooling without using COM+

Quote:
> Could someone point me to an article that discusses implementing object
> pooling without using COM+???

Google.com is a wonderful thing!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=.NET+object+po...

http://www.CSharphelp.com/archives/archive285.html

Here's a Java-based pooling framework which will probably get you a
long way in .NET:
http://poolit.sourceforge.net/

-c

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:13:36 GMT
 Object pooling without using COM+
lol, what is google ;^P ... actually I already searched google and other
that the one link from www.csharphelp.com everything else seemed to deal
with COM+.  Really what I am going after is a way to get a "caching" effect
by using object pooling - and correct me please if I am think about this the
wrong way.  A team member of mine had mentioned that in the "Java world" he
could pool objects and determine what "fields" he could pool them on.  For
example, if I were to use this same type of logic in the .net world, I could
say "pool this data set on the FilterID".  I know that ASP.NET has a similar
mechanism with Caching, but what if I am in a middle tier and do not have
access to the ASP.NET runtime???  Am I way off course here or could object
pooling be used in this fashion??

TIA,
KC

Quote:

> > Could someone point me to an article that discusses implementing object
> > pooling without using COM+???

> Google.com is a wonderful thing!

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=.NET+object+po...

> http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive285.html

> Here's a Java-based pooling framework which will probably get you a
> long way in .NET:
> http://poolit.sourceforge.net/

> -c

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:48:14 GMT
 Object pooling without using COM+
Caching and pooling are somewhat different as caching caches
data where pooling just provides quick access to objects
to cut down a little on the time it takes to construct the
object (allocate the memory, run the constructors, do all
the security checks, etc) which, in an enterprise environment
can be significant.

I implemented a caching mechanism in the middle teir of
an ASP.NET app I did. It was a small app and I know that
the number of objects to cache was usually <1000 so it
worked for me. Also, I didn't have a scaling/multi-server
requirement, so it was perfect.

I built a little Task/to-do app in ASP.NET because I
couldn't think of a better app, and I wanted to do a
complete ASP.NET app from the ground up with a middle
teir, etc.

You should consider your scaling requirements because
Caching with your own mechanism can be very difficult
in an enterprise scalability environment.

If you're interested I can discuss it without, but
I won't waste both our time if you need scalability.

-c

Quote:
> lol, what is google ;^P ... actually I already searched google and other
> that the one link from www.csharphelp.com everything else seemed to deal
> with COM+.  Really what I am going after is a way to get a "caching"
effect
> by using object pooling - and correct me please if I am think about this
the
> wrong way.  A team member of mine had mentioned that in the "Java world"
he
> could pool objects and determine what "fields" he could pool them on.  For
> example, if I were to use this same type of logic in the .net world, I
could
> say "pool this data set on the FilterID".  I know that ASP.NET has a
similar
> mechanism with Caching, but what if I am in a middle tier and do not have
> access to the ASP.NET runtime???  Am I way off course here or could object
> pooling be used in this fashion??

> TIA,
> KC

> > > Could someone point me to an article that discusses implementing
object
> > > pooling without using COM+???

> > Google.com is a wonderful thing!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=.NET+object+po...

> > http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive285.html

> > Here's a Java-based pooling framework which will probably get you a
> > long way in .NET:
> > http://poolit.sourceforge.net/

> > -c

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:35:11 GMT
 Object pooling without using COM+
Great explanation, thanks.

Quote:
> Caching and pooling are somewhat different as caching caches
> data where pooling just provides quick access to objects
> to cut down a little on the time it takes to construct the
> object (allocate the memory, run the constructors, do all
> the security checks, etc) which, in an enterprise environment
> can be significant.

> I implemented a caching mechanism in the middle teir of
> an ASP.NET app I did. It was a small app and I know that
> the number of objects to cache was usually <1000 so it
> worked for me. Also, I didn't have a scaling/multi-server
> requirement, so it was perfect.

> I built a little Task/to-do app in ASP.NET because I
> couldn't think of a better app, and I wanted to do a
> complete ASP.NET app from the ground up with a middle
> teir, etc.

> You should consider your scaling requirements because
> Caching with your own mechanism can be very difficult
> in an enterprise scalability environment.

> If you're interested I can discuss it without, but
> I won't waste both our time if you need scalability.

> -c

> > lol, what is google ;^P ... actually I already searched google and other
> > that the one link from www.csharphelp.com everything else seemed to deal
> > with COM+.  Really what I am going after is a way to get a "caching"
> effect
> > by using object pooling - and correct me please if I am think about this
> the
> > wrong way.  A team member of mine had mentioned that in the "Java world"
> he
> > could pool objects and determine what "fields" he could pool them on.
For
> > example, if I were to use this same type of logic in the .net world, I
> could
> > say "pool this data set on the FilterID".  I know that ASP.NET has a
> similar
> > mechanism with Caching, but what if I am in a middle tier and do not
have
> > access to the ASP.NET runtime???  Am I way off course here or could
object
> > pooling be used in this fashion??

> > TIA,
> > KC

> object

> > > Google.com is a wonderful thing!

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=.NET+object+po...

> > > http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive285.html

> > > Here's a Java-based pooling framework which will probably get you a
> > > long way in .NET:
> > > http://poolit.sourceforge.net/

> > > -c

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:59:30 GMT

1. LOOKING FOR: ATL Com+ C++ Object Pooled Connection Object (PAID JOB)

2. HELP: How to cache data efficiently using COM+ Object Pooling

3. Need tutorial to create object that can be pooled in Com+

4. Problem with scripting context when using VB com object inside VC com object

5. Using COM objects within COM objects

6. Object Pooling (COM+)

7. Using C++ pooled object from VB

8. Is there a MFC Class for using the WebBrowser Control (Without using COM)

9. disposing of all objects in object pool

10. COM object without output parameters

11. why com object with alt 7.0 can't run on win2000 without visual.net

12. Web Com Object without MFC