Where can I find the language specification for C#?
Author Message
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?

Hello everyone,

Where can I find the language specification for C#? If it is possible the
most updated one.

Thanking you all

Anonymous

Sat, 28 May 2005 11:44:09 GMT
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?

Quote:
> Where can I find the language specification for C#? If it is possible the
> most updated one.

That depends on what you call "the most updated one". The one for a released
version is the ecma spec, which you can get from [1] or the ECMA site and a
number of mirrors. However, it will probably take some time until an updated
version with planned changes for the VS.NET for Yukon release (with
generics, iterators and such) comes into being.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/ecma/

--
Tomas Restrepo

Sat, 28 May 2005 11:44:34 GMT
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?
The ECMA website should have the specification

Slide

Quote:
> Hello everyone,

> Where can I find the language specification for C#? If it is possible the
> most updated one.

> Thanking you all

> Anonymous

Sat, 28 May 2005 11:45:37 GMT
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?

Quote:
> Hello everyone,

> Where can I find the language specification for C#? If it is possible the
> most updated one.

> Thanking you all

> Anonymous

If you're  looking for the .NET spec, that's on MSDN. But my frustration is
to find the specs for specific method calls in C#. And so far (I've googled)
I can't find them. Probably in Visual Studio, you have a great help system,
but I'm using SharpDevelop.

I've found the language reference (the free stuff) almost useless.

Greg

Sat, 28 May 2005 11:57:24 GMT
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?

Quote:
> If you're  looking for the .NET spec, that's on MSDN. But my
> frustration is to find the specs for specific method calls in
> C#. And so far (I've googled) I can't find them. Probably in
> Visual Studio, you have a great help system, but I'm using
> SharpDevelop.

> I've found the language reference (the free stuff) almost
> useless.

Greg,

I'm not clear as to what you mean by "the specs for specific
method calls in C#".  Do you mean parameter passing behavior, or
something else?  FWIW, since C# compiles into MSIL, looking at the
MSIL code with ILDASM might answer some of your questions.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
-------------
C.R. Timmons Consulting, Inc.
http://www.crtimmonsinc.com/

Sat, 28 May 2005 14:27:38 GMT
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?

Quote:

> If you're  looking for the .NET spec, that's on MSDN. But my frustration is
> to find the specs for specific method calls in C#. And so far (I've googled)
> I can't find them. Probably in Visual Studio, you have a great help system,
> but I'm using SharpDevelop.

At http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/ecma/ there are various zip files,
including one titled "Class Library Detailed Specifications". Note that
this will *only* include the standardised parts of the library.

Quote:
> I've found the language reference (the free stuff) almost useless.

The language specification is absolutely invaluable when it comes to the
*language*, but says almost nothing (understandably) about *libraries*.

--

http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

Sat, 28 May 2005 16:43:39 GMT
 Where can I find the language specification for C#?

Quote:

>>If you're  looking for the .NET spec, that's on MSDN. But my frustration is
>>to find the specs for specific method calls in C#. And so far (I've googled)
>>I can't find them. Probably in Visual Studio, you have a great help system,
>>but I'm using SharpDevelop.

> At http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/ecma/ there are various zip files,
> including one titled "Class Library Detailed Specifications". Note that
> this will *only* include the standardised parts of the library.

The Platform SDK (which is required to use SharpDevelop I would imagine)
  includes the full set of API docs.  And by full, I mean *full*.  And
(unlike VS.NET) MS was kind enough (as far as I can tell) to not include
the ability to filter the help, so one is stuck looking at VB.NET, C++
and C# docs all mixed together.  What fun.

Jim S.

--
Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via e-mail.

Sun, 29 May 2005 10:03:12 GMT

1. C# language specification - which version should I use?

2. Suggestions to C# Language specification

3. language specifications

4. Problem compiling the sample code from language specification .....

5. C as 2nd CS language (was Re: Languages ...

6. I can not find Managed Extensions for C++ Specification

7. Where can I find ODBC specification?

8. API Specification for C#

9. Cosmetic error in C# doc specification

10. Convert registry date format specification to COleDateTime format specification

11. Usage of the "Standard ECMA-334 C# Language Specification"

12. Determining what canned preprocessor symbols are available