No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
Author Message
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products

I finally got someone smart at Microsoft and they said that you can only
distribute applications made in Visual Studio.  You cannot distribute
applications made in Visual C#, C++ or VB.NET (standalone products).  So
with all of the standard editions of the individual software, you are NOT
allowed to redistribute applications made with those.  I think that is kinda
cheap but anyhow...
Kory

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:39:03 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
Are you sure about this, Kory? It sounds pretty dubious.

-glenn-

Quote:
> I finally got someone smart at Microsoft and they said that you can only
> distribute applications made in Visual Studio.  You cannot distribute
> applications made in Visual C#, C++ or VB.NET (standalone products).  So
> with all of the standard editions of the individual software, you are NOT
> allowed to redistribute applications made with those.  I think that is
kinda
> cheap but anyhow...
> Kory

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:37:47 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
That doesn't sound right at all.  Because you are allowed to redistribute
applications using the command line tool as far as I understand.  and Visual
Studio is just an IDE for the command line tool?  Plus how would anybody
ever find out?

Nick

Quote:
> I finally got someone smart at Microsoft and they said that you can only
> distribute applications made in Visual Studio.  You cannot distribute
> applications made in Visual C#, C++ or VB.NET (standalone products).  So
> with all of the standard editions of the individual software, you are NOT
> allowed to redistribute applications made with those.  I think that is
kinda
> cheap but anyhow...
> Kory

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:00:46 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
What is redistribution anyway? Does that only relate to commercial use? How
about open source? Me giving an app(no compensation) to a friend? Two
friends? 10?

--
Arild Fines

- The computer was conceived as a tool to reduce complexity. Some people
found this loss of complexity unacceptable, and developed UNIX to
reintroduce it.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:03:38 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
The license agreement I have with Visual C# standard does not say this at
all. In fact, it actually mentions things you can redistribute, like the Jet
stuff, MDAC, dotnetfx.exe, and other things. It never says you can't
distribute things you write. In fact, it says you hold Microsoft harmless
from issues arising from the distribution of your code (they call it your
Licensed Product).

Eric

Quote:
> I finally got someone smart at Microsoft and they said that you can only
> distribute applications made in Visual Studio.  You cannot distribute
> applications made in Visual C#, C++ or VB.NET (standalone products).  So
> with all of the standard editions of the individual software, you are NOT
> allowed to redistribute applications made with those.  I think that is
kinda
> cheap but anyhow...
> Kory

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:36:42 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
Well I called and asked a question regarding the software in Visual C# .NET
Deluxe Learning Edition.  It says it includes the Visual C# .NET Standard
software (then it also has Deluxe Learning Edition written on it), so I was
wondering what kind of license it had on it and according to the guy at
Microsoft (he asked their help desk thing there) and he said that you would
not be able to redistribute the applications made with that program.  He
said only Visual Studio .NET allows that.  But then you bring up the issue
with csc (CSharp free compiler), are there any licenses for that, has anyone
actually read them?  It would be interesting to find out.  Also, maybe
someone else can call microsoft's sales line and ask the same question and
see what kind of reply they get.  I've been having mixed results, so unless
someone has the actual license agreement from those packages will we know.
Take care all,
Kory

Quote:
> What is redistribution anyway? Does that only relate to commercial use?
How
> about open source? Me giving an app(no compensation) to a friend? Two
> friends? 10?

> --
> Arild Fines

> - The computer was conceived as a tool to reduce complexity. Some people
> found this loss of complexity unacceptable, and developed UNIX to
> reintroduce it.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:44:12 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
i have VS.NET for enterprise architects.
It  does not say anything about redistributable .
I read the license agreement!!
I think ur problem is associated with VS edition u got (may be because of
learnign edition?)?

Quote:
> Well I called and asked a question regarding the software in Visual C#
.NET
> Deluxe Learning Edition.  It says it includes the Visual C# .NET Standard
> software (then it also has Deluxe Learning Edition written on it), so I
was
> wondering what kind of license it had on it and according to the guy at
> Microsoft (he asked their help desk thing there) and he said that you
would
> not be able to redistribute the applications made with that program.  He
> said only Visual Studio .NET allows that.  But then you bring up the issue
> with csc (CSharp free compiler), are there any licenses for that, has
anyone
> actually read them?  It would be interesting to find out.  Also, maybe
> someone else can call microsoft's sales line and ask the same question and
> see what kind of reply they get.  I've been having mixed results, so
unless
> someone has the actual license agreement from those packages will we know.
> Take care all,
> Kory

> > What is redistribution anyway? Does that only relate to commercial use?
> How
> > about open source? Me giving an app(no compensation) to a friend? Two
> > friends? 10?

> > --
> > Arild Fines

> > - The computer was conceived as a tool to reduce complexity. Some people
> > found this loss of complexity unacceptable, and developed UNIX to
> > reintroduce it.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:01:59 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
Yeah this is what I've been thinking, but then why would they say that that
isn't true and that you can only distribute your apps made in VS.NET...  I
couldn't believe how long it took for them to answer my question but I
called twice and the first one said to ask in here (she thought the same
thing as the guy I called the second time).  Is the Visual C# .NET standard
the version that came with Visual C# .NET Step by Step in the Deluxe
Learning Edition?  Or did you purchase it separately?

Quote:
> The license agreement I have with Visual C# standard does not say this at
> all. In fact, it actually mentions things you can redistribute, like the
Jet
> stuff, MDAC, dotnetfx.exe, and other things. It never says you can't
> distribute things you write. In fact, it says you hold Microsoft harmless
> from issues arising from the distribution of your code (they call it your
> Licensed Product).

> Eric

> > I finally got someone smart at Microsoft and they said that you can only
> > distribute applications made in Visual Studio.  You cannot distribute
> > applications made in Visual C#, C++ or VB.NET (standalone products).  So
> > with all of the standard editions of the individual software, you are
NOT
> > allowed to redistribute applications made with those.  I think that is
> kinda
> > cheap but anyhow...
> > Kory

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:23:21 GMT
 No distribution rights for Visual .NET standard products!! Only for Visual Studio .NET products
I purchased the standard edition for $99. It says nothing about Deluxe
Learning. Maybe that's the difference.

Eric

Quote:
> Yeah this is what I've been thinking, but then why would they say that
that
> isn't true and that you can only distribute your apps made in VS.NET...  I
> couldn't believe how long it took for them to answer my question but I
> called twice and the first one said to ask in here (she thought the same
> thing as the guy I called the second time).  Is the Visual C# .NET
standard
> the version that came with Visual C# .NET Step by Step in the Deluxe
> Learning Edition?  Or did you purchase it separately?

> > The license agreement I have with Visual C# standard does not say this
at
> > all. In fact, it actually mentions things you can redistribute, like the
> Jet
> > stuff, MDAC, dotnetfx.exe, and other things. It never says you can't
> > distribute things you write. In fact, it says you hold Microsoft
harmless
> > from issues arising from the distribution of your code (they call it
your
> > Licensed Product).

> > Eric

> > > I finally got someone smart at Microsoft and they said that you can
only
> > > distribute applications made in Visual Studio.  You cannot distribute
> > > applications made in Visual C#, C++ or VB.NET (standalone products).
So
> > > with all of the standard editions of the individual software, you are
> NOT
> > > allowed to redistribute applications made with those.  I think that is
> > kinda
> > > cheap but anyhow...
> > > Kory

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:27:18 GMT

1. Visual C# .NET Standard vs. Visual Studio.NET

2. Differences between Visual C# .Net Standard and Visual Studio.Net Professional

3. Install Visual VB.NET and Visual C#.NET

4. Visual C++.Net Step by Step book/Visual C++.Net Software

5. what is best - Visual C# .NET or Visual C++.NET

6. Visual Studio.NET vs. Visual C#.NET

7. Visual C++.net STANDARD compatible HOME EDITION XP

8. using the old iostream stuff in Visual C++ .Net standard

9. find localhost for Visual C++.NET standard edition?

10. Visual C# Standard vs VS.NET Pro

11. Visual C# .Net Standard

12. Visual .NET C++ 7 standard