Global Assembly
Author Message
 Global Assembly

Hi,

I generated a strong name using
sn.exe and used it to compile an assembly.

i then drag- dropped the exe into the global assembly cache under winnt \
assembly

Now when i use vs.net to add reference, i am not able to see the listing of
my assembly in the add reference screen ?

what else should i do to see the listing in that area ?

thanks,
subramanian

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:45:36 GMT
 Global Assembly
Several people made the same remark some times ago.

Here is the answer :

Quote:
> The GAC is useful for runtime only.  It was never intended to be used

during "development".  You will have to put a local copy in some other
directory (probably the bin you are developing).  Then you can reference it
there. The compiler does not follow the logic path that the CLR does in
regards to "assembly hunting".

( you may find the original thread in the dotnet.framework NG. It is titled
"GAC". )

--Philippe

--
_________________________________
Philippe Barthelemy - Ingenieur Consultant

Quote:
> Hi,

> I generated a strong name using
> sn.exe and used it to compile an assembly.

> i then drag- dropped the exe into the global assembly cache under winnt \
> assembly

> Now when i use vs.net to add reference, i am not able to see the listing
of
> my assembly in the add reference screen ?

> what else should i do to see the listing in that area ?

> thanks,
> subramanian

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:56:55 GMT
 Global Assembly
what do i do, if i need to list my assembly in the
'add reference  box ' inside the vs.net environment

thanks,
subramanian

Quote:
> Several people made the same remark some times ago.

> Here is the answer :
> > The GAC is useful for runtime only.  It was never intended to be used
> during "development".  You will have to put a local copy in some other
> directory (probably the bin you are developing).  Then you can reference
it
> there. The compiler does not follow the logic path that the CLR does in
> regards to "assembly hunting".

> ( you may find the original thread in the dotnet.framework NG. It is
titled
> "GAC". )

> --Philippe

> --
> _________________________________
> Philippe Barthelemy - Ingenieur Consultant
> Business Design Consulting
>         Groupe Air Liquide Services
> http://www.bdesign.fr
> +33(0)1 44 51 50 32 / +33(0)6 20 87 43 66

> > Hi,

> > I generated a strong name using
> > sn.exe and used it to compile an assembly.

> > i then drag- dropped the exe into the global assembly cache under winnt
\
> > assembly

> > Now when i use vs.net to add reference, i am not able to see the listing
> of
> > my assembly in the add reference screen ?

> > what else should i do to see the listing in that area ?

> > thanks,
> > subramanian

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:59:00 GMT
 Global Assembly
You copy your assembly somewhere on the disc.
then you "add reference" it by looking for it with the "browse" button.
Brutal, I admit.

--P
_________________________________
Philippe Barthelemy - Ingenieur Consultant
Business Design Consulting
        Groupe Air Liquide Services
http://www.bdesign.fr
+33(0)1 44 51 50 32 / +33(0)6 20 87 43 66

Quote:
> what do i do, if i need to list my assembly in the
> 'add reference  box ' inside the vs.net environment

> thanks,
> subramanian

> > Several people made the same remark some times ago.

> > Here is the answer :
> > > The GAC is useful for runtime only.  It was never intended to be used
> > during "development".  You will have to put a local copy in some other
> > directory (probably the bin you are developing).  Then you can reference
> it
> > there. The compiler does not follow the logic path that the CLR does in
> > regards to "assembly hunting".

> > ( you may find the original thread in the dotnet.framework NG. It is
> titled
> > "GAC". )

> > --Philippe

> > --
> > _________________________________
> > Philippe Barthelemy - Ingenieur Consultant
> > Business Design Consulting
> >         Groupe Air Liquide Services
> > http://www.bdesign.fr
> > +33(0)1 44 51 50 32 / +33(0)6 20 87 43 66

> > > Hi,

> > > I generated a strong name using
> > > sn.exe and used it to compile an assembly.

> > > i then drag- dropped the exe into the global assembly cache under
winnt
> \
> > > assembly

> > > Now when i use vs.net to add reference, i am not able to see the
listing
> > of
> > > my assembly in the add reference screen ?

> > > what else should i do to see the listing in that area ?

> > > thanks,
> > > subramanian

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:42:48 GMT
 Global Assembly
hmm,

oh god !!

subramanian

Quote:
> You copy your assembly somewhere on the disc.
> then you "add reference" it by looking for it with the "browse" button.
> Brutal, I admit.

> --P
> _________________________________
> Philippe Barthelemy - Ingenieur Consultant
> Business Design Consulting
>         Groupe Air Liquide Services
> http://www.bdesign.fr
> +33(0)1 44 51 50 32 / +33(0)6 20 87 43 66

> > what do i do, if i need to list my assembly in the
> > 'add reference  box ' inside the vs.net environment

> > thanks,
> > subramanian

> > > Several people made the same remark some times ago.

> > > Here is the answer :
> > > during "development".  You will have to put a local copy in some other
> > > directory (probably the bin you are developing).  Then you can
reference
> > it
> > > there. The compiler does not follow the logic path that the CLR does
in
> > > regards to "assembly hunting".

> > > ( you may find the original thread in the dotnet.framework NG. It is
> > titled
> > > "GAC". )

> > > --Philippe

> > > --
> > > _________________________________
> > > Philippe Barthelemy - Ingenieur Consultant
> > > Business Design Consulting
> > >         Groupe Air Liquide Services
> > > http://www.bdesign.fr
> > > +33(0)1 44 51 50 32 / +33(0)6 20 87 43 66

> winnt
> > \

> listing
> > > of

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:40:00 GMT
 Global Assembly
To see the files in the AddRef box, I found that copying
strong assemblies in
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\%version% will work.

I don't know if it is a good idea though.

But if you need to add a reference, it is only during the
development process of your application, why not add a
reference to the bin directory where your debug.dll can be
found ?

Quote:

message

>> > what do i do, if i need to list my assembly in the
>> > 'add reference  box ' inside the vs.net environment

>> > thanks,
>> > subramanian

>> > "Philippe Barthelemy"

intended to be
>used
copy in some other
Then you can
>reference
>> > it
that the CLR does
>in

dotnet.framework NG. It is

>> > titled

message

assembly cache under

>> winnt
>> > \

able to see the
>> listing

area ?

>.

Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:53:24 GMT

1. Global Assembly Cache (GAC) question

2. How to retrieve global assembly attributes

3. Global Assembly Cache and Updates

4. Programmatic access to Global Assembly Cache

5. Referencing DLL's in Global Assembly Cache

6. Global Assembly

7. Global Assembly Cache woes

8. COM object into Global assembly cache

9. Global Assembly Cache Woes

10. Global Assembly Cache

11. Global Assembly Cache Contains Assembly but cannot use it in aspx files???

12. HOWTO Mark a global assembly C# Windows Control as "safe".