Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET
Author Message
 Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET

Whenever I want to add a cs-file from another directory to a project by
using 'Add existing item', VS.NET creates a copy of that file in the project
directory. By I want to use the original files, so I can share them in
multiple projects. In a C++ project no copy is beeing made.

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:22:01 GMT
 Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET
The reason it makes a copy of this file is because it is a private assembly. This
measns that everything referenced must be contained with in the root diectory of
the project or a subdirectory under that. By default this is the case. If you
wanted to create a shared assembly which allows other apps to use your libraries
you have to make it a shared assembly. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Whenever I want to add a cs-file from another directory to a project by
using 'Add existing item', VS.NET creates a copy of that file in the project
directory. By I want to use the original files, so I can share them in
multiple projects. In a C++ project no copy is beeing made.

.

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:16:23 GMT
 Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET
But what if someone is working on a large project and wants to put commonly
used files in a separate subdirectory, without making separate DLL's? Is
this possible at all?
-/renji

The reason it makes a copy of this file is because it is a private assembly.
This
measns that everything referenced must be contained with in the root
diectory of
the project or a subdirectory under that. By default this is the case. If
you
wanted to create a shared assembly which allows other apps to use your
libraries
you have to make it a shared assembly. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Whenever I want to add a cs-file from another directory to a project by
using 'Add existing item', VS.NET creates a copy of that file in the project
directory. By I want to use the original files, so I can share them in
multiple projects. In a C++ project no copy is beeing made.

.

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:05:08 GMT
 Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET
And why can I do it in C++ using managed classes ?

Carlo

Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:12:37 GMT
 Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET
We use makefiles in general, so I'm not sure, how you can do this
from within the VisualStudio.NET workbench.

Compile the CSharp files you want to reuse in a "library" by using the
following command line:

        csc $(_IMPORTS) /t:module /out:Common.lib Common.cs

Then, you can simply add your module to the executable (or DLL) with the
following command line:

        csc $(_IMPORTS) /addmodule:Common.lib /out:MyProg.exe MyProg.cs

Hope this helps!
Arthur

Quote:
> Whenever I want to add a cs-file from another directory to a project by
> using 'Add existing item', VS.NET creates a copy of that file in the
project
> directory. By I want to use the original files, so I can share them in
> multiple projects. In a C++ project no copy is beeing made.

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:58:04 GMT
 Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET
In the "Add Existing Item" dialog, before you select the "Open" button,
select "Link File" from the list of options presented when you select the
down arrow next to the "Open" button.  This will allow you to use the
original file.

Isaac

Quote:
> Whenever I want to add a cs-file from another directory to a project by
> using 'Add existing item', VS.NET creates a copy of that file in the
project
> directory. By I want to use the original files, so I can share them in
> multiple projects. In a C++ project no copy is beeing made.

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:06:45 GMT

1. VS.NET: Adding one .cs file to more then one project

2. problem:: want to split files across different directory in VS.NET studio

3. problem:: want to split files across different directory in VS.NET studio

5. How to add image into resource file using VS.NET

6. Deployment tool crashes VS.NET if you add a .obj file

7. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

8. Adding virtual directory to IIS using .NET

9. Creating a Virtual directory through a program as done by VS.NET IDE

10. VS.NET IDE VC++ Directories

11. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

12. ANN: Xtreme Simplicity C# Refactory add-in for VS.NET released