Debug and release vsrions
Author Message
 Debug and release vsrions

Hi,
Is there any difference between debug and release version of assembly(bcoz size of both assemblies are equal) ??

Thanks,
Venkatesh

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:36:02 GMT
 Debug and release vsrions
You'll find that the "debug" version has a pdb file associated with it.
Also the "debug" version will run slower.  You'll need to wait for one of
the MVP to tell you exactly why though.

Simon Stewart

Quote:
> Hi,
> Is there any difference between debug and release version of assembly(bcoz

size of both assemblies are equal) ??
Quote:

> Thanks,
> Venkatesh

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:07:08 GMT
 Debug and release vsrions
The different versions will have different assembly or module attributes set
that effect the optimizations produced by the JIT compiler, and whether a
map of IL to native instructions is generated (which effects working set).
The actual level of optimization by the C# and VB.NET compilers is pretty
minimal, and I haven't seen big differences between the two builds.  See the
System.Diagnostics.DebuggableAttribute in MSDN for further details on the
effect of the different attribute settings between the two build
configurations.

Program database (PDB) files can be produced for either type of build.

Nick Wienholt
Sydney Deep .NET User Group www.sdnug.org

Quote:
> You'll find that the "debug" version has a pdb file associated with it.
> Also the "debug" version will run slower.  You'll need to wait for one of
> the MVP to tell you exactly why though.

> Simon Stewart

> > Hi,
> > Is there any difference between debug and release version of
assembly(bcoz
> size of both assemblies are equal) ??

> > Thanks,
> > Venkatesh

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:46:27 GMT
 Debug and release vsrions
Hi!

The main differences between 'Debug' and 'Release' mode are:

1. Compiling in 'Release' mode your code is optimized, but it's not
optimized in 'Debug' (by default)
2. Compiling in 'Debug' mode 'Program Debug Database' file is created, which
contain all neccessary info to make debuging easier (like source code, line
numbers, etc)

Hope this helps

--
Jevgenij, MCP

Quote:
> Hi,
> Is there any difference between debug and release version of assembly(bcoz

size of both assemblies are equal) ??
Quote:

> Thanks,
> Venkatesh

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:01:09 GMT

1. Helps need on adding debug info to release mode so to debug release code

2. Debug build fine, release crashes unless we link with debug Multi-Threaded library

3. Managed VC++.NET (2002): Run the .exe file in the Debug or Release Folder

4. Release builds have debug info on by default?

5. debugging release version of exe

6. debug exe OK but release exe crashes

7. Debug/Release problems

8. Debug the release vesion?

9. Debug vs. Release configuration

10. Debug vs. Release

11. .NET Visual C++ Release vs Debug builds

12. Works in Debug mode but not in Release mode