intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
Author Message
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes

Greetings being from the futur. Now leave us from the past
the hell alone! Set back your system clock and you might
be getting more answers then you think.

--
Andreas H?kansson
Student of Software Engineering

Quote:
> posted this a while back but never resolved the problem.

> when i have an XML DataSet called lets say OrdersDataSet
> with a table inside Orders i want to use intellisense to get to

> OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow.OrderID

> but no menu pops up even though OrdersRow is a public class.

> I try both:

> OrdersRow row;
> row.<ctrl-space>

> and

> OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow row;
> row.<ctrl-space>

> and nothing happens

> now i thought it NEVER worked, but the other day it DID
> and now it doesnt again. is there anything i can do to get
> intellisense to work on nested classes like this consistently
> or it is just a bug.

> -simon

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:04:00 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
ok, well first of all just wanted to let you guys know that the future is
awesome. everything always compiles and this is in fact the only
remaining problem i have with VS.NET (well apart from my other
post in this newsgroup).

on the inaccurate clock - i have a nice brand new dell but the system

screws up so i guess we're stuck with it. aparently its an XP bug.

oh yes and why on earth does MS's newsserver take MY date
and not use its own. methinks thats a bug.

i wish i could take you all 'back to the future', but i am afraid that i
cannot. anybody care to answer my question :-D

-simon

ps. methinks is in the dictionary before anyone complains about that

Quote:
> Greetings being from the futur. Now leave us from the past
> the hell alone! Set back your system clock and you might
> be getting more answers then you think.

> --
> Andreas H?kansson
> Student of Software Engineering
> andreas (at) selfinflicted.org

> > posted this a while back but never resolved the problem.

> > when i have an XML DataSet called lets say OrdersDataSet
> > with a table inside Orders i want to use intellisense to get to

> > OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow.OrderID

> > but no menu pops up even though OrdersRow is a public class.

> > I try both:

> > OrdersRow row;
> > row.<ctrl-space>

> > and

> > OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow row;
> > row.<ctrl-space>

> > and nothing happens

> > now i thought it NEVER worked, but the other day it DID
> > and now it doesnt again. is there anything i can do to get
> > intellisense to work on nested classes like this consistently
> > or it is just a bug.

> > -simon

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:38:10 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
On Wed, 8 May 2002 17:38:10 -0700, "Simon Weaver"

Quote:

>oh yes and why on earth does MS's newsserver take MY date
>and not use its own. methinks thats a bug.

That has nothing to do with Microsoft or Microsoft's news server.
These groups are standard Usenet groups following the NNTP protocol.
Microsoft provides a fancy web-based interface but it's not actually a
web board.  When you send a Usenet message it's tagged with the time
of origin (which is the time on your system) and keeps it forever.

No idea about your original question, though. :-)

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:30:33 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes

Quote:
> That has nothing to do with Microsoft or Microsoft's news server.
> These groups are standard Usenet groups following the NNTP protocol.
> Microsoft provides a fancy web-based interface but it's not actually a
> web board.  When you send a Usenet message it's tagged with the time
> of origin (which is the time on your system) and keeps it forever.

So why wont Microsoft come up with their own stuff to fix this date problem?
I agree with Simon the time should be taken from the server hosting the
newsgroup not from our computer times.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:46:18 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
Sadly this is not the way NNTP s supposed to work.

This server is mirrored into most of usenet.

--
Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Quote:
> > That has nothing to do with Microsoft or Microsoft's news server.
> > These groups are standard Usenet groups following the NNTP protocol.
> > Microsoft provides a fancy web-based interface but it's not actually a
> > web board.  When you send a Usenet message it's tagged with the time
> > of origin (which is the time on your system) and keeps it forever.

> So why wont Microsoft come up with their own stuff to fix this date
problem?
> I agree with Simon the time should be taken from the server hosting the
> newsgroup not from our computer times.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:53:46 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes

Quote:

>So why wont Microsoft come up with their own stuff to fix this date problem?

I hope they won't because using NNTP means we can read and post to
these groups using regular newsreader software such as Forte Agent
(http://www.forteinc.com) which is much faster & more convenient than
having to go through a web-based interface!

Quote:
>I agree with Simon the time should be taken from the server hosting the
>newsgroup not from our computer times.

Well, that's not how NNTP works.  There's a good reason for that, too.
The idea of NNTP is that there is no single server hosting any
particular group.  Instead, all posts to (potentially) all groups are
broadcast over the entire Internet, to any NNTP server who's
listening.  This broadcast can take hours or days, and every server
eventually stores a local copy of all posts it's interested in.

Microsoft is a bit, um, special in that their NNTP server isn't
completely open -- it doesn't accept posts from other servers.  It
does, however, broadcast the posts it accepts, so you can read &
search the MS newsgroups from other NNTP servers.

But that's not too important IMO, the really important thing is that
it's a standard protocol for text broadcasts, so I can read them
offline with my Agent newsreader instead of having to stay online and
navigate a slow and cumbersome web interface.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:59:59 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
I've seen the same thing. Contacted Microsoft about it and they said "either
it's a limitation in the software that you've come across, or it's a
software bug, which will require additional research to figure out. If you
have an MSDN Universal subscription, you can call yada yada." Sometimes with
the typed dataset, the intellisense-{*filter*}lists every member. Other days, it
just lists the standard methods like "equals" and none of the members in the
typed dataset.

Tom

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:07:44 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
Simon,

    Is there a cure for Parkinson's disease in the future, Michael J Fox
could sure use one, and I'm assured he's not alone...

Colin B

Quote:
> posted this a while back but never resolved the problem.

> when i have an XML DataSet called lets say OrdersDataSet
> with a table inside Orders i want to use intellisense to get to

> OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow.OrderID

> but no menu pops up even though OrdersRow is a public class.

> I try both:

> OrdersRow row;
> row.<ctrl-space>

> and

> OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow row;
> row.<ctrl-space>

> and nothing happens

> now i thought it NEVER worked, but the other day it DID
> and now it doesnt again. is there anything i can do to get
> intellisense to work on nested classes like this consistently
> or it is just a bug.

> -simon

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:41:26 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
Simon,
    I have seen the clock problem you are referring to with
WinXP. My solution is to get a program called NIST  Time ( do a
google search ) which is a free program which will connect to a
time server on the internet and set your system clock. Run it
when Windows is up and running so that your date and time will be
correct.
HTH

Quote:
> ok, well first of all just wanted to let you guys know that the
future is
> awesome. everything always compiles and this is in fact the
only
> remaining problem i have with VS.NET (well apart from my other
> post in this newsgroup).

> on the inaccurate clock - i have a nice brand new dell but the
system

still
> screws up so i guess we're stuck with it. aparently its an XP
bug.

> oh yes and why on earth does MS's newsserver take MY date
> and not use its own. methinks thats a bug.

> i wish i could take you all 'back to the future', but i am
afraid that i
> cannot. anybody care to answer my question :-D

> -simon

> ps. methinks is in the dictionary before anyone complains about
that

message

> > Greetings being from the futur. Now leave us from the past
> > the hell alone! Set back your system clock and you might
> > be getting more answers then you think.

> > --
> > Andreas H?kansson
> > Student of Software Engineering
> > andreas (at) selfinflicted.org

> > > posted this a while back but never resolved the problem.

> > > when i have an XML DataSet called lets say OrdersDataSet
> > > with a table inside Orders i want to use intellisense to
get to

> > > OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow.OrderID

> > > but no menu pops up even though OrdersRow is a public
class.

> > > I try both:

> > > OrdersRow row;
> > > row.<ctrl-space>

> > > and

> > > OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow row;
> > > row.<ctrl-space>

> > > and nothing happens

> > > now i thought it NEVER worked, but the other day it DID
> > > and now it doesnt again. is there anything i can do to get
> > > intellisense to work on nested classes like this
consistently
> > > or it is just a bug.

> > > -simon

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:32:29 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
he's not THAT far into the future.. cure for parkinson in 6days..
I wouldnt bet my money on it thats for sure =)

--
Andreas H?kansson
Student of Software Engineering
andreas (at) selfinflicted.org

Quote:
> Simon,

>     Is there a cure for Parkinson's disease in the future, Michael J Fox
> could sure use one, and I'm assured he's not alone...

> Colin B

> > posted this a while back but never resolved the problem.

> > when i have an XML DataSet called lets say OrdersDataSet
> > with a table inside Orders i want to use intellisense to get to

> > OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow.OrderID

> > but no menu pops up even though OrdersRow is a public class.

> > I try both:

> > OrdersRow row;
> > row.<ctrl-space>

> > and

> > OrdersDataSet.OrdersRow row;
> > row.<ctrl-space>

> > and nothing happens

> > now i thought it NEVER worked, but the other day it DID
> > and now it doesnt again. is there anything i can do to get
> > intellisense to work on nested classes like this consistently
> > or it is just a bug.

> > -simon

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:54:41 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
Perhaps the server that is taking the message should read the date and time
of the message and if it's higher than it's current date and time it should
discard it. This way if someone posts to this newsgroup for example, with a
date in the future, the server would ignore the message stopping it from
getting in to this server and others.

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:19:39 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
the server should just check the date NOT the time... I think it has
someting to do with different timezones... while it might happen that
someone is a half day ahead in time, it will never happen that this someone
is ahead years in time...

Quote:
> Perhaps the server that is taking the message should read the date and
time
> of the message and if it's higher than it's current date and time it
should
> discard it. This way if someone posts to this newsgroup for example, with
> date in the future, the server would ignore the message stopping it from
> getting in to this server and others.

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:59:05 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
That is why there is something called UTC as a timezone :-) The server
should actually (and DOES) write down the time in a cordinated way, not as
local time.

--
Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Quote:
> the server should just check the date NOT the time... I think it has
> someting to do with different timezones... while it might happen that
> someone is a half day ahead in time, it will never happen that this
someone
> is ahead years in time...

> > Perhaps the server that is taking the message should read the date and
> time
> > of the message and if it's higher than it's current date and time it
> should
> > discard it. This way if someone posts to this newsgroup for example,
with
> > date in the future, the server would ignore the message stopping it from
> > getting in to this server and others.

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:20:39 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
I too have noticed that behavior, but only  with the c# intellisense. Works
like a charm in the VB intellisense.  I would suspect it being a bug. I've
just gotten used to not being able to rely on the c# intellisense, it's not
100% trustworthy.

Bob

Quote:

> I've seen the same thing. Contacted Microsoft about it and they said
"either
> it's a limitation in the software that you've come across, or it's a
> software bug, which will require additional research to figure out. If you
> have an MSDN Universal subscription, you can call yada yada." Sometimes
with
> the typed dataset, the intellisense-{*filter*}lists every member. Other days,
it
> just lists the standard methods like "equals" and none of the members in
the
> typed dataset.

> Tom

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:08:09 GMT
 intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes
Since when Microsoft cared about standards? fix it and call it NNTP.Net or
something.

Quote:
> Sadly this is not the way NNTP s supposed to work.

> This server is mirrored into most of usenet.

> --
> Regards

> Thomas Tomiczek
> THONA Consulting Ltd.
> (Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

> > > That has nothing to do with Microsoft or Microsoft's news server.
> > > These groups are standard Usenet groups following the NNTP protocol.
> > > Microsoft provides a fancy web-based interface but it's not actually a
> > > web board.  When you send a Usenet message it's tagged with the time
> > > of origin (which is the time on your system) and keeps it forever.

> > So why wont Microsoft come up with their own stuff to fix this date
> problem?
> > I agree with Simon the time should be taken from the server hosting the
> > newsgroup not from our computer times.

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:33:08 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. BUG in Intellisense was: intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes - PLZ discuss NNTP-Probs. in the appropriate Group - THANK YOU

2. context completion in service pack 4 doesnt seem to work with macros or template classes

3. IntelliSense not working with header file only classes

4. C++/ATL/ADO - Intellisense not working (statement completion options) not working

5. Using unmanaged nested classes of a managed class

6. call from nested class method nonstatic of the class containing

7. Performance of stuct and class definitions nested in a class definition

8. nested class in class template

9. Addressing to members of surrounding class from nested class

10. system("D:"); doesnt work

11. ServiceController doesnt work with C# Web Service anymore ?????

12. Why doesnt this work