Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Author Message
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?

I have a windows forms based app in which I need to send an email via an SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail
namespace for doing this.

Everything works fine, IF the program is running on a machine with IIS and SMTP services installed.

I need to be able to send emails from my program when it is running on an NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install
on NT4 WS)

Are there any other solutions/components out there that do not rely upon the SMTP services installed with IIS?

-- Stacy

Sorry for the cross post to m.p.d.l.c, but the CSharp ng has become, for better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I
thought it might get a better response.  ;)

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:47:59 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Use the SmtpServer static propery on the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail
class.

Point it to an SMTP server on the Internet (this should be your
ISP or corporate email server).

Then send your mail.

SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.mycompany.com";

-c

Quote:
> I have a windows forms based app in which I need to send an email via an

SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail
Quote:
> namespace for doing this.

> Everything works fine, IF the program is running on a machine with IIS and

SMTP services installed.
Quote:

> I need to be able to send emails from my program when it is running on an

NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install
Quote:
> on NT4 WS)

> Are there any other solutions/components out there that do not rely upon

the SMTP services installed with IIS?
Quote:

> -- Stacy

> Sorry for the cross post to m.p.d.l.c, but the csharp ng has become, for

better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I
Quote:
> thought it might get a better response.  ;)

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:58:22 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Hi,

I made it with rush, it may contain errors - but source is included, you may
fix it.
(This is full implementation - no other components are used.
It can send mail using dns.
)

http://www.gotdotnet.com/userfiles/iivari/SMTP_Client.zip

Quote:
> I have a windows forms based app in which I need to send an email via an

SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail
Quote:
> namespace for doing this.

> Everything works fine, IF the program is running on a machine with IIS and

SMTP services installed.
Quote:

> I need to be able to send emails from my program when it is running on an

NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install
Quote:
> on NT4 WS)

> Are there any other solutions/components out there that do not rely upon

the SMTP services installed with IIS?
Quote:

> -- Stacy

> Sorry for the cross post to m.p.d.l.c, but the csharp ng has become, for

better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I
Quote:
> thought it might get a better response.  ;)

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:24:38 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?

Quote:

>Are there any other solutions/components out there that do not rely upon the SMTP services installed with IIS?

If you want a complete, supported, email solution check out mail.net at
www.abderaware.com.  It's the best, but I would think that since I wrote it. :-)

--

*--------={ Fine Art for .NET }=--------*

*---------------------------------------*

       Turn on, tune in, download.

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:06:19 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Hi,

I get an exception when I try this.

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.Web.HttpException' occurred in
System.web.dll
 Additinal information: Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. "

/Johan

Quote:
> Use the SmtpServer static propery on the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail
> class.

> Point it to an SMTP server on the Internet (this should be your
> ISP or corporate email server).

> Then send your mail.

> SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.mycompany.com";

> -c

> > I have a windows forms based app in which I need to send an email via an
> SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail
> > namespace for doing this.

> > Everything works fine, IF the program is running on a machine with IIS
and
> SMTP services installed.

> > I need to be able to send emails from my program when it is running on
an
> NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install
> > on NT4 WS)

> > Are there any other solutions/components out there that do not rely upon
> the SMTP services installed with IIS?

> > -- Stacy

> > Sorry for the cross post to m.p.d.l.c, but the csharp ng has become, for
> better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I
> > thought it might get a better response.  ;)

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:43:22 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
My original point exactly.  Even if you specify an external SMTP server, the System.Web.Mail namespace uses CDO under the covers,
which is only installed with IIS.

-- Stacy

Quote:

> Hi,

> I get an exception when I try this.

> "An unhandled exception of type 'System.Web.HttpException' occurred in
> System.web.dll
>  Additinal information: Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. "

> /Johan

> > Use the SmtpServer static propery on the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail
> > class.

> > Point it to an SMTP server on the Internet (this should be your
> > ISP or corporate email server).

> > Then send your mail.

> > SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.mycompany.com";

> > -c

> > > I have a windows forms based app in which I need to send an email via an
> > SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail
> > > namespace for doing this.

> > > Everything works fine, IF the program is running on a machine with IIS
> and
> > SMTP services installed.

> > > I need to be able to send emails from my program when it is running on
> an
> > NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install
> > > on NT4 WS)

> > > Are there any other solutions/components out there that do not rely upon
> > the SMTP services installed with IIS?

> > > -- Stacy

> > > Sorry for the cross post to m.p.d.l.c, but the csharp ng has become, for
> > better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I
> > > thought it might get a better response.  ;)

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:44:59 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Hi,

I used this as the foundation of my own class...
http://www.kbcafe.com/articles/csharp.smtp.html

Perfect for sending simple and small mail messages.

/Johan

Quote:
> My original point exactly.  Even if you specify an external SMTP server,

the System.Web.Mail namespace uses CDO under the covers,
Quote:
> which is only installed with IIS.

> -- Stacy

Quote:
> > Hi,

> > I get an exception when I try this.

> > "An unhandled exception of type 'System.Web.HttpException' occurred in
> > System.web.dll
> >  Additinal information: Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. "

> > /Johan

> > > Use the SmtpServer static propery on the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail
> > > class.

> > > Point it to an SMTP server on the Internet (this should be your
> > > ISP or corporate email server).

> > > Then send your mail.

> > > SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.mycompany.com";

> > > -c

> > > SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail

IIS
> > and
> > > SMTP services installed.

> > an
> > > NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install

> > > the SMTP services installed with IIS?

> > > better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:56:29 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Here's a link:  http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/smtpemailer.asp

It works (for the most part, still a little trouble with some exchange
server/outlook combinations).  Feel free to comment/help out.

Steaven

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:55:42 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Stacy,

Make sure you're specifying proper email addresses. I have successfully used
.NET to send SMTP mail while specifying a Notes SMTP server (which doesn't
have CDO). When I failed to include a proper email address in the From

Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.

worked. I believe there's some work being done for you behind the scenes
that parses the To and From properties and kicks out an exception if they
aren't valid addresses. Not an accurate exception, just an exception.

HTH

Jim McFadden

Quote:
> My original point exactly.  Even if you specify an external SMTP server,

the System.Web.Mail namespace uses CDO under the covers,
Quote:
> which is only installed with IIS.

> -- Stacy

Quote:
> > Hi,

> > I get an exception when I try this.

> > "An unhandled exception of type 'System.Web.HttpException' occurred in
> > System.web.dll
> >  Additinal information: Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. "

> > /Johan

> > > Use the SmtpServer static propery on the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail
> > > class.

> > > Point it to an SMTP server on the Internet (this should be your
> > > ISP or corporate email server).

> > > Then send your mail.

> > > SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "smtp.mycompany.com";

> > > -c

> > > SMTP server.  Currently, I am using the System.Web.Mail

IIS
> > and
> > > SMTP services installed.

> > an
> > > NT4 Workstation box -- without IIS (IIS will not install

> > > the SMTP services installed with IIS?

> > > better or worse, a clearinghouse for dotnet Q's, and I

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:32:23 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
That is a useful class.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks
/Johan

Quote:
> Here's a link:  http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/smtpemailer.asp

> It works (for the most part, still a little trouble with some exchange
> server/outlook combinations).  Feel free to comment/help out.

> Steaven

Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:58:34 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Thanks!  I'll give it a look.  Of course, we are running Exchange and Outlook here -- so I'll see what happens...
Quote:

> Here's a link:  http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/smtpemailer.asp

> It works (for the most part, still a little trouble with some exchange
> server/outlook combinations).  Feel free to comment/help out.

> Steaven

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:00:46 GMT
 Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?
Ok.
The only wierd problem I'm having has something to do with exchange or
outlook settings, I believe.
I can send the exact same message through my isp at home and view it with
outlook at home and it looks fine, but the same message sent through our
exchange server at work and it's outlook client don't show it correctly.
Since one outlook client shows it ok, I'm beginning to think it's something
to do with our mail server.
Oh well, life without problems == boring.

Steaven

Quote:
> Thanks!  I'll give it a look.  Of course, we are running Exchange and

Outlook here -- so I'll see what happens...

> > Here's a link:  http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/smtpemailer.asp

> > It works (for the most part, still a little trouble with some exchange
> > server/outlook combinations).  Feel free to comment/help out.

> > Steaven

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:23:41 GMT

1. How to send email without smtp server.

2. how to send an Email via SMTP (with attached file)

3. How to send email using smtp server.(Problem)

4. How to send and get email via SMTP ?

5. Obtaining IIS's SMTP status programmatically

6. receiving SMTP email

7. Getting Bounced MAPI/SMTP Email Responses

8. library for email message object, IMAP, POP,SMTP

9. Retrieving EMail Account (POP,SMTP etc) information

10. smtp-mail and no check if them mail was realy send

11. Error sending SMTP mail

12. Help with Sending E-mail with SMTP server