C# MSIL
Author Message
 C# MSIL

Dear all,

It is possible to decompile C# from the MSIL format into source code?   If
so,  is there any native method from MS that can prevent this?  Thanks.

Regards,
Kueh.

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:06:42 GMT
 C# MSIL

Quote:
> Dear all,

> It is possible to decompile C# from the MSIL format into source code?   If
> so,  is there any native method from MS that can prevent this?  Thanks.

> Regards,
> Kueh.

Hi,
yes it is poosible, - you can upload an assembly at www.remotesoft.com for
decompilation.
Decompilation of IL is much easier than for executables. Because .NET code
is designed to be transportable between platforms - it's representation
is at a much higher level than machine-code.
Also machine-code can be decompiled to high-level c like language.
Our LSW-Binary-Lab is capable of decompiling pure Win32-Binaries:
http://www.lesser-software.com/en/content/products/LSW_Binary_Lab/Scr...
s2.htm

We use decompilation techniques in our LSW-DotNet ReflectionBrowser, which
will go soon in beta ( as a service on http://Smalltalk.biz )

You can use an Obfuscator to make reverse engineering attempts difficult and
unattratcive.
look at our LSW IL-Obfuscator - www.lesser-software.com/ilobf.htm
Regards,
Frank, www.lesser-software.com

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:49:57 GMT
 C# MSIL
I've been to your site. How does a person get your Binary_Lab product???

G.

Quote:

> > Dear all,

> > It is possible to decompile C# from the MSIL format into source code?
If
> > so,  is there any native method from MS that can prevent this?  Thanks.

> > Regards,
> > Kueh.

> Hi,
> yes it is poosible, - you can upload an assembly at www.remotesoft.com for
> decompilation.
> Decompilation of IL is much easier than for executables. Because .NET code
> is designed to be transportable between platforms - it's representation
> is at a much higher level than machine-code.
> Also machine-code can be decompiled to high-level c like language.
> Our LSW-Binary-Lab is capable of decompiling pure Win32-Binaries:

http://www.lesser-software.com/en/content/products/LSW_Binary_Lab/Scr...

> s2.htm

> We use decompilation techniques in our LSW-DotNet ReflectionBrowser, which
> will go soon in beta ( as a service on http://Smalltalk.biz )

> You can use an Obfuscator to make reverse engineering attempts difficult
and
> unattratcive.
> look at our LSW IL-Obfuscator - www.lesser-software.com/ilobf.htm
> Regards,
> Frank, www.lesser-software.com

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:28:07 GMT
 C# MSIL
Hi,
LSW-BL  is not released. It is working pritty well - we did it to prove our
code protection techniques.
To make it public available would be against the ethics of decompilation.
Publishing MSIL decompilation in contrary shows the danger of not
obfuscating the code and because it is much more easy to decompile MSIL  I
would expect a lot of MSIL decompilers in future.

LSW-BL shows that decompilation from binary code is possible. It can be
sayed that binary code by it's nature is very well obfuscated.
it put's the barrier to reverse engineer very high. To get a real readable
sourcecode from binary is virtual impossible - but our results were quite
encuraging.
A binary decompiler like LSW-BL can be used to get certain aspects of code -
e.g. certain algorithms - even its protection scheme. To protect against
binary decompilation customized PE-loaders can be used - so that important
parts of code are loaded under control of the program itself.

I am not sure - but I believe that other products similar to ours exists.

So one good reason is always to apply obfuscators to but te barrier for
stealing code high.Other reasons are ensuring that no internals are
published   - e.g. the decompiled code can show "unreadyness", design which
needs to be refactored etc.

with best regards
Frank Lesser, www.lesser-software.com

Quote:
> I've been to your site. How does a person get your Binary_Lab product???

> G.

> > > Dear all,

> > > It is possible to decompile C# from the MSIL format into source code?
> If
> > > so,  is there any native method from MS that can prevent this?
Thanks.

> > > Regards,
> > > Kueh.

> > Hi,
> > yes it is poosible, - you can upload an assembly at www.remotesoft.com
for
> > decompilation.
> > Decompilation of IL is much easier than for executables. Because .NET
code
> > is designed to be transportable between platforms - it's representation
> > is at a much higher level than machine-code.
> > Also machine-code can be decompiled to high-level c like language.
> > Our LSW-Binary-Lab is capable of decompiling pure Win32-Binaries:

http://www.lesser-software.com/en/content/products/LSW_Binary_Lab/Scr...

> > s2.htm

> > We use decompilation techniques in our LSW-DotNet ReflectionBrowser,
which
> > will go soon in beta ( as a service on http://Smalltalk.biz )

> > You can use an Obfuscator to make reverse engineering attempts difficult
> and
> > unattratcive.
> > look at our LSW IL-Obfuscator - www.lesser-software.com/ilobf.htm
> > Regards,
> > Frank, www.lesser-software.com

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:15:46 GMT

1. C# and MSIL

2. Another C# article: "C# (C Sharp) Part 2: Plugging Into The .NET With MSIL"

3. asp.NET or .aspx to Msil (Intermediate Language)

4. unmanaged template code generating MSIL?

5. How Virtual Functions are handled in CLR(MSIL)

6. Source Code Analysis on MSIL (.NET platform)

7. MSIL problem

8. MSIL vs. ECMA CIL

9. Will VC++.NET compile to MSIL?

10. How to write in MSIL?

11. security , reverse engineering, MSIL and decompiling issues

12. MSIL chip