How does C# app compare to MFC app??
Author Message
 How does C# app compare to MFC app??

I'd like to learn how to write desktop shareware apps, but was wondering how
a C# app compares to a MFC app? Is it as responsive? Is the file size
significantly bigger? How much more memory will it need?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

-Ted

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:12:40 GMT
 How does C# app compare to MFC app??
Hi Ted;

For an overview of C# check out the following MSDN article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0900/csharp/csharp.asp

Aside from this, there are some radical differences between a C# and MFC C++
app:

1)    C# code runs under a managed framework, the CLR or Common Language
Runtime.  Similar in concept to the JVM, the CLR provides you with a robust
framework for housing your code;  it's also what gives .Net language
agnosticism.  You can write an object in VB.Net and call that object in a C#
or managed C++ app.  You also get automatic memory management!  No more
worries about memory leaks and mallocs and callocs!  Another fundamental
difference is that under C#, EVERYTHING is an object.  It is fully OO--
there are no primitive datatypes.  An int, bool or short is just as much an
object as a string.  Oh yeah-- you'll love the built-in functionality with
strings-- no more hand-crafting or finding library routines for strings.

2)    Your target systems must have the Framework installed-- this can be
bundled with your app by the installer, however your deliverable will often
balloon out to 15MB+, irrespective of how simple your app is.

3)    .Net apps can run under as little as 64MB, but I believe they're
happiest with more-- 128MB+.

4)    Responsiveness has been a bugbear for some;  the CLR employs a
highly-optimized compiler called the JIT or Just-In-Time.  It only compiles
those portions of your app that are immediately required for startup,
compiling the rest as it goes on a just-in-time basis.  This usually means
that the first run of the app is slower than subsequent runs.

For more info, I suggest looking in the MSDN for .Net articles;  also try
looking at Microsoft Press' Inside C#, O'Reilly's second edition of C#
Essentials or Wrox Press' second edition of Professional C#.

Cheers!
--
Chris R Chapman
.Net Software Development Consultant

Quote:
> I'd like to learn how to write desktop shareware apps, but was wondering
how
> a C# app compares to a MFC app? Is it as responsive? Is the file size
> significantly bigger? How much more memory will it need?

> Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

> -Ted

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:03:51 GMT

1. MFC and DOS apps - Redirecting console output to an MFC app (Newbie)

2. What's different between MFC App and MFC App as NTService

3. How to execute a MFC app in the another MFC app

4. MFC and DOS apps - Redirecting console output to an MFC app (Newbie)

5. How to execute a MFC app in the another MFC app

6. VB(app.path) VB C#(app.path) HOW-TO

7. How to print a word document from C# app without bringing up MSWord app

8. C++ MFC App to IE/IIS App

9. C++ MFC App to IE/IIS App

10. Open Control panel app (*.cpl) from MFC app?

11. Customize own App Wizard for non Mfc apps

12. Drag drop from VB app to MFC app problem