Java vs. C# (functionality)
Author Message
 Java vs. C# (functionality)

Ok, I know it is once or twice a week question but mine is of a little bit
different nature.

Are there any constructs, syntax or functionality which can not be
implemented in C# the same way?
The reason for this question is that currently I do some Java programming
but in the future I might want to port my code to C#. So I'd like to
know in advance if there is any think I should avoid using to make future
conversion easier.

Cheers,
Tom Jastrzebski

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:59:36 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)
inner classes ...
events are handled different in C#

Quote:
> Ok, I know it is once or twice a week question but mine is of a little bit
> different nature.

> Are there any constructs, syntax or functionality which can not be
> implemented in C# the same way?
> The reason for this question is that currently I do some Java programming
> but in the future I might want to port my code to C#. So I'd like to
> know in advance if there is any think I should avoid using to make future
> conversion easier.

> Cheers,
> Tom Jastrzebski

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:45:27 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)

Quote:
> inner classes ...

C# does have the equivalent to inner static classes in Java. What it doesnt
have is inner classes that have an implicit reference to the outer class,
and anonymous inner classes.

--
Arild Fines

- The computer was conceived as a tool to reduce complexity. Some people
found this loss of complexity unacceptable, and developed UNIX to
reintroduce it.

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:33:41 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)

Quote:

> > inner classes ...

> C# does have the equivalent to inner static classes in Java. What it doesnt
> have is inner classes that have an implicit reference to the outer class,
> and anonymous inner classes.

That's easy to fix.  For inner classes, simply replace the implicit
reference to the outer class with an explicit reference.

public class Foo {
   private class Bar {
      private readonly Foo outer;
      public Bar(Foo f) {
         outer = f;
         // ...
      }
      // ...
   }
   // ...

Quote:
}

And anonymous classes can be converted to named classes.

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:33:24 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)
Java vs. C#, a Code-for-Code Comparison

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=1455&a=1616,00.asp

C#: A language alternative or just J--?

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2000/jw-1122-csharp1_p.html
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1221-csharp2_p.html

Quote:

> > inner classes ...

> C# does have the equivalent to inner static classes in Java. What it
doesnt
> have is inner classes that have an implicit reference to the outer class,
> and anonymous inner classes.

> --
> Arild Fines

> - The computer was conceived as a tool to reduce complexity. Some people
> found this loss of complexity unacceptable, and developed UNIX to
> reintroduce it.

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:24:38 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)

Quote:

>Java vs. C#, a Code-for-Code Comparison

>http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=1455&a=1616,00.asp

>C#: A language alternative or just J--?

>http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2000/jw-1122-csharp1_p.html
>http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1221-csharp2_p.html

Also check out the C# FAQ and read the articles -glenn- doesn't
want you to read.

C# FAQ is available at http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:02:58 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)
Hah hah hah hah hah! This is too funny. This person is using my name in
his/her posts now. I'm flattered! Oh please, please, please,
pleeeaaassseeee, post that sentence just at it is in all your posts!

For the record: I never said people shouldn't read your so-called FAQ. I
said they should ignore them. Can you discern the difference between those
two sentences? Or, like your FAQ, do you have to twist my words around like
you do with your commentary about C#? Of course, once any programmer with a
whit of experience with C# will know them for what they are. Highly twisted
and baseless attacks at a language, made possible by a hired-gun from Sun.

In fact, I encourage anyone with interest in C# to read these so-called
FAQs. (If you can deal with all of the JavaScript errors on each and every
page, that is.)

Also for the record: I really like Java. It's a great language to work with.
It has its good points and bad - like any other language.

-glenn-

The petilon FAQs available at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=5ea5ef1fbd061707&rnum=6
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=21479cec67c92d25&rnum=7
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=f0437b998eaccbdc&rnum=9
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=a2b7c330af072f8a&rnum=13

Quote:

> >Java vs. C#, a Code-for-Code Comparison

> >http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=1455&a=1616,00.asp

> >C#: A language alternative or just J--?

> >http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2000/jw-1122-csharp1_p.html
> >http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1221-csharp2_p.html

> Also check out the C# FAQ and read the articles -glenn- doesn't
> want you to read.

> C# FAQ is available at http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:48:37 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)

Quote:

>Hah hah hah hah hah! This is too funny. This person is using my name in
>his/her posts now. I'm flattered! Oh please, please, please,
>pleeeaaassseeee, post that sentence just at it is in all your posts!

It doesn't take much to flatter you, does it? You must have a very
low opinion of yourself.

Quote:
>For the record: I never said people shouldn't read your so-called FAQ. I
>said they should ignore them.

Why don't you let them make up their own minds? If you know any technical
arguments as to why my articles are wrong or inaccurate then post them so
that they can evaluate your arguments and compare them to mine. Are you
afraid of doing that? If you don't have any opposing technical points,
shut your mouth.

Quote:
>Can you discern the difference between those
>two sentences? Or, like your FAQ, do you have to twist my words around like
>you do with your commentary about C#? Of course, once any programmer with a
>whit of experience with C# will know them for what they are. Highly twisted
>and baseless attacks at a language,

Can you tell me which sections of the FAQ you consider "baseless"?
Last time I checked there were compilable code samples to support most
arguments.

Quote:
>made possible by a hired-gun from Sun.

Now there's a baseless attack if I have ever seen one.

Quote:
>In fact, I encourage anyone with interest in C# to read these so-called
>FAQs. (If you can deal with all of the JavaScript errors on each and every
>page, that is.)

What JavaScript errors? There is no JavaScript at all on any of the pages,
except those inserted by GeoCities.

Quote:

>Also for the record: I really like Java. It's a great language to work with.
>It has its good points and bad - like any other language.

Same here. I really like C#. It has its good points and bad.

You admit there are bad points in any language, and yet you attack anyone
that points out the bad parts in C#. What's up with that?

For the record, the FAQ isn't all negative about C#. There is a link to
the genomics.com article, for example. If I only wanted to highlight the
negative aspects of C# I wouldn't have done that, would I? Also, there
are links to MSDN articles, gotdotnet articles, C# books, SDK download,
tests to evaluate your knowledge of C#, etc.
     http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq

---
Find out why -glenn- is attacking me! Read the C# FAQ!

C# FAQ is available at http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:16:18 GMT
 Java vs. C# (functionality)

Quote:

> >Hah hah hah hah hah! This is too funny. This person is using my name in
> >his/her posts now. I'm flattered! Oh please, please, please,
> >pleeeaaassseeee, post that sentence just at it is in all your posts!

> It doesn't take much to flatter you, does it? You must have a very
> low opinion of yourself.

My self-esteem is just fine, thank you for asking.

Quote:

> >For the record: I never said people shouldn't read your so-called FAQ. I
> >said they should ignore them.

> Why don't you let them make up their own minds? If you know any technical
> arguments as to why my articles are wrong or inaccurate then post them so
> that they can evaluate your arguments and compare them to mine. Are you
> afraid of doing that? If you don't have any opposing technical points,
> shut your mouth.

English must be your second language. I said, "In fact, I encourage anyone
with interest in C# to read these so-called FAQs." Sorry, I'm not taking
your bait. Others have very eloquently shown your "FAQs" to be terribly
misleading; I don't feel that I have to add to that already sufficient
evidence. People should read your FAQs so they can see them for what they
are.

Quote:

> >Can you discern the difference between those
> >two sentences? Or, like your FAQ, do you have to twist my words around
like
> >you do with your commentary about C#? Of course, once any programmer with
> >whit of experience with C# will know them for what they are. Highly
twisted
> >and baseless attacks at a language,

> Can you tell me which sections of the FAQ you consider "baseless"?
> Last time I checked there were compilable code samples to support most
> arguments.

They all are.

Quote:

> >made possible by a hired-gun from Sun.

> Now there's a baseless attack if I have ever seen one.

Yeah, right. You just keep telling us that.

Quote:

> >In fact, I encourage anyone with interest in C# to read these so-called
> >FAQs. (If you can deal with all of the JavaScript errors on each and
every
> >page, that is.)

> What JavaScript errors? There is no JavaScript at all on any of the pages,
> except those inserted by GeoCities.

All I know is that there is JS on the page, and none of it works. At least
three error dialogs popup on each page.

Quote:

> >Also for the record: I really like Java. It's a great language to work
with.
> >It has its good points and bad - like any other language.

> Same here. I really like C#. It has its good points and bad.

Yes, that was implied in my statement.

Quote:

> You admit there are bad points in any language, and yet you attack anyone
> that points out the bad parts in C#. What's up with that?

> For the record, the FAQ isn't all negative about C#. There is a link to
> the genomics.com article, for example. If I only wanted to highlight the
> negative aspects of C# I wouldn't have done that, would I? Also, there
> are links to MSDN articles, gotdotnet articles, C# books, SDK download,
> tests to evaluate your knowledge of C#, etc.
>      http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq

> ---
> Find out why -glenn- is attacking me! Read the C# FAQ!

I am not attacking you; I'm letting people know the truth about your
so-called FAQ and why they should ignore it. After reading it and coming to
that inevitable conclusion on their own.

> C# FAQ is available at http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq

See why petilion is a troll. Read the petilion FAQs:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=5ea5ef1fbd061707&rnum=6
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=21479cec67c92d25&rnum=7
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=f0437b998eaccbdc&rnum=9
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=a2b7c330af072f8a&rnum=13

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:23:52 GMT

1. C# vs C++ vs Java

2. java to C# and C# to java converters

3. tired to read C# vs java post

4. Java vs C#

5. C# vs. Java Scalability - to Jim Sculley

6. Test java vs C#

7. Article of Java vs C#?

8. C# vs. Java: Graphics/Text Rendering Speed

9. Real-time dyn allctn (was: Ada vs C++ vs Java)

10. C vs C++ vs Java???

11. VS.NET lacking Browser Functionality???

12. C# JIT vs Java JIT and-or Java HotSpot? What is the diff?