Adding intellisense
Author Message
 Adding intellisense

Hi all,

How do I add intellisense to the class libraries I create? Is there an
attribute that I need to use? a compiler option?

Thanks,
Nick

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:52:14 GMT
 Adding intellisense

Quote:
> Hi all,

> How do I add intellisense to the class libraries I create? Is there an
> attribute that I need to use? a compiler option?

You don't have to do anything. VS.NET will figure it out.

-c

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:00:23 GMT
 Adding intellisense
Just add XML comments before the method signature declaration.  Type three
slashes and the IDE will insert a nice skeleton for you to fill in.

--Bob

Quote:
> Hi all,

> How do I add intellisense to the class libraries I create? Is there an
> attribute that I need to use? a compiler option?

> Thanks,
> Nick

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:05:37 GMT
 Adding intellisense
Nick,

    If you are distributing your assembly, then you will want to place XML
comments in your code.  When you compile your code, you will want to use the
/doc option to generate your XML comments.  Then, your file should have the
same name as your assembly with .XML appended to it.  Drop this file in the
same directory that the assembly is in, make the reference, and you should
see your notes as a tooltip when programming against it.

    Hope this helps.

--
               - Nicholas Paldino [.NET MVP]

Quote:
> Thanks for the reply. I asked the wrong question. What I want to know is
> how do I display a description of a method or property when it is
> selected in the intellisense. Or, how do I get VS.NET to display a
> comment when the mouse cursor is held over a property/method of a class
> that I created?

> I tried using the Description attribute from System.CompontModel. It did
> not work.

> Thanks for the help.
> Nick

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:19:37 GMT
 Adding intellisense
Nick,
    Also make sure you have filled in the XML Documentation File field in
the Configuration Properties of your project so that a documentation file
will be generated for use in other projects.

Ron Allen

Quote:
> Just add XML comments before the method signature declaration.  Type three
> slashes and the IDE will insert a nice skeleton for you to fill in.

> --Bob

> > Hi all,

> > How do I add intellisense to the class libraries I create? Is there an
> > attribute that I need to use? a compiler option?

> > Thanks,
> > Nick

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:58:33 GMT

1. add intellisense to my custom functions???

2. Adding Intellisense tooltip to my program source

3. BUG in Intellisense was: intellisense doesnt work consistently on nested classes - PLZ discuss NNTP-Probs. in the appropriate Group - THANK YOU

4. delegates do not show up in intellisense

5. VC++ .NET and intellisense issue

6. IMPORTANT: IntelliSense does not work after __typeof operator

7. Losing Intellisense

8. No comments with intellisense

9. Intellisense bug

10. Intellisense XML gen for only public members?

11. Intellisense: Often does not work, reproducable sample

12. IntelliSense features!