problem linking to outside dll (oracle client)
Author Message
 problem linking to outside dll (oracle client)

I think this is a pretty general problem, but I'll give all the
details I can.

Ok, so I'm making a web app that will do some stuff with an Oracle db
sitting on another server.  I have the Oracle Client software
installed, and the Microsoft .Net Oracle Client.  I went out and found
a sample web app to make sure that everything was connecting properly.
 That worked, and I could run queries just fine.  The only problem was
that it was written in VB Script, which I'm not really familiar with,
and it was a pretty big app(for MSSQL,Access,Oracle), so I can't say I
understand everything it was doing.  I found some C# examples too
though, so I figured no problem.  Well, of course it failed on the
simplest thing.  In my code I have:

using System.Data.OracleClient;

which should give me access to those objects.  Instead I get the
error:

Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name
'OracleClient' does not exist in the class or namespace 'System.Data'
(are you missing an assembly reference?)

That seems like a pretty simple issue, right?  I guess it needs to
have access to the Oracle Client dll, but I would think that if it
works in the VB app it would work here.  What I want to know is what
else do I need to do to get it linking correctly?  There is a lot more
in the VB application, but I can't really find anything that looks
like it pertains to this.  It does have a dll in its bin directory,
but I was under the impression that if the Oracle Client's bin
directory is in the PATH environment variable an IIS app should be
able to find it.  Besides, every example I've found online basically
says that if you include the System.Data.OracleClient namespace
everything will work.

Thanks,

John Gerstenslager

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:07:36 GMT

1. Question about using Oracle Client to connect Oracle 9i DB (window version)?Thank you

2. Linking problem COF/ELF (Oracle/Microfocus)

3. Visual C 6.0 DLL problem with oracle 8i

4. Move CFileDialog outside client area

5. How to detect a mouse position outside client window

6. client window outside dialog?

7. Form based app with status bar outside of client area

8. Mouse events outside (non)client area

9. How to get a mouse position outside the client area

10. Template Implementaion in a DLL problem linking problem...

11. SAN DIEGO - ORACLE client/server programmer

12. Oracle 8 Client