email options
Author Message
 email options

I am looking for suggestions on how to send email from my
app (C#).  The only solution I found so far relies on
Collaboration Data Objects from MS Office.  I implemented
it but it runs into problems as not everyone has MS Office
installed.  I was hoping for a more generic solution.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

Thankyou.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:15:17 GMT
 email options
Jerred,

    You might want to take a look at the System.Web.Mail namespace, as it
has a number of classes that you can use to send email through SMTP.

    Hope this helps.

--
               - Nicholas Paldino [.NET MVP]

Quote:
> I am looking for suggestions on how to send email from my
> app (C#).  The only solution I found so far relies on
> Collaboration Data Objects from MS Office.  I implemented
> it but it runs into problems as not everyone has MS Office
> installed.  I was hoping for a more generic solution.  Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?

> Thankyou.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:17:15 GMT
 email options
with VERY limited features, try Simple MAPI:

  http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/simplemapidotnet.asp

(uses just MAPI32.DLL, AFAIK this is on every system, Win95 up)

--
  NETMaster  (Thomas Scheidegger)
  http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_CSharp.html

Quote:

> I am looking for suggestions on how to send email from my
> app (C#).  The only solution I found so far relies on
> Collaboration Data Objects from MS Office.  I implemented
> it but it runs into problems as not everyone has MS Office
> installed.  I was hoping for a more generic solution.  Can
> anyone point me in the right direction?

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:54:30 GMT
 email options
On Wed, 15 May 2002 18:54:30 +0200, "NETMaster"

Quote:

>with VERY limited features, try Simple MAPI:

>  http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/simplemapidotnet.asp

>(uses just MAPI32.DLL, AFAIK this is on every system, Win95 up)

MAPI is on every system but the target system also needs an e-mail
client that supports Simple MAPI.  Most clients do that but some
non-MS e-mail programs require special configuration.

As for the general question, unfortunately using P/Invoke to access
MAPI or Simple MAPI is currently the only option for sending e-mails
from .NET programs if the target system is unknown.  Nicholas
recommended System.Web.Mail but these classes only works on Windows
2000/XP Pro/.NET Server -- it doesn't work on Win98/Me/XP Home.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 01:17:34 GMT
 email options
Christoph, System.Web.Mail works on all the systems you specify. You have to
be sure to specify a value for SmtpServer, that's all.

If you mean that the SMTP Service is only available on NT, 2000, XP Pro,
.NET Server and not the others, that is correct.

-glenn-

Quote:
> On Wed, 15 May 2002 18:54:30 +0200, "NETMaster"

> >with VERY limited features, try Simple MAPI:

> >  http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/simplemapidotnet.asp

> >(uses just MAPI32.DLL, AFAIK this is on every system, Win95 up)

> MAPI is on every system but the target system also needs an e-mail
> client that supports Simple MAPI.  Most clients do that but some
> non-MS e-mail programs require special configuration.

> As for the general question, unfortunately using P/Invoke to access
> MAPI or Simple MAPI is currently the only option for sending e-mails
> from .NET programs if the target system is unknown.  Nicholas
> recommended System.Web.Mail but these classes only works on Windows
> 2000/XP Pro/.NET Server -- it doesn't work on Win98/Me/XP Home.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 05:01:19 GMT
 email options

Quote:
>Christoph, System.Web.Mail works on all the systems you specify. You have to
>be sure to specify a value for SmtpServer, that's all.

>If you mean that the SMTP Service is only available on NT, 2000, XP Pro,
>.NET Server and not the others, that is correct.

Are you sure about that?  The documentation for all the
System.Web.Mail classes says explicitly that it's only supported on
these platforms: Windows 2000, XP Professional, .NET Server family.

So are you saying the documentation is wrong?  Have you succeeded
sending an e-mail using System.Web.Mail classes on Win98/Me/XP Home?

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 05:10:36 GMT
 email options
Ooops. You're probably correct, Christoph. For some reason I was "fixating"
on the SMTP service.

Thinking about it, I suspect System.Web.Mail doesn't work on NT because that
namespace must be a part of ASP.NET which is not available on NT (the SMTP
service is though).

Sorry about that!

-glenn-

Quote:

> >Christoph, System.Web.Mail works on all the systems you specify. You have
> >be sure to specify a value for SmtpServer, that's all.

> >If you mean that the SMTP Service is only available on NT, 2000, XP Pro,
> >.NET Server and not the others, that is correct.

> Are you sure about that?  The documentation for all the
> System.Web.Mail classes says explicitly that it's only supported on
> these platforms: Windows 2000, XP Professional, .NET Server family.

> So are you saying the documentation is wrong?  Have you succeeded
> sending an e-mail using System.Web.Mail classes on Win98/Me/XP Home?

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 05:29:31 GMT
 email options
Never mind, Glenn.  For what it's worth I seem to recall that the .NET
web services aren't available on the "consumer" systems because they
are a wrapper around the system library CDOSYS.DLL version 6.0 that's
only available on the "professional" systems.

Quote:
>Ooops. You're probably correct, Christoph. For some reason I was "fixating"
>on the SMTP service.

>Thinking about it, I suspect System.Web.Mail doesn't work on NT because that
>namespace must be a part of ASP.NET which is not available on NT (the SMTP
>service is though).

>Sorry about that!

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:55:14 GMT

1. email question : customized email header by c language ??

2. translating gcc options into cc options

3. Optimization option (project release option)

4. sending email from MFC dialog. (automatically send an email)

5. C#: Sending Lotus Notes email messages

6. email attachments identification problem

7. Posting email addresses

8. this is a test message - testing my email program - please ignore it - thank you -bye

9. email to vip of Microsoft

10. CMimeMessage & CSMTPConnection and richtext emails

11. email engine

12. Send SMTP Email _WITHOUT IIS_?