Peer to peer board game - possible remoting question or design question
Author Message
 Peer to peer board game - possible remoting question or design question

I've been trying to program a peer to peer board game.  I'm still trying to
have it where the host player sets up a remoting server and a client player
uses the client remoting functionality.  However, I am not able to get the
functionality that I was hoping.  Has anyone successfully used remoting
other than the command line examples?  Is there another design method?

Here is the code I've used:

For the Server
- - - - - - - - -
TcpChannel channel = new TcpChannel(8080);

ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel);

RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(typeof(GameController),

"GameController", WellKnownObjectMode.Singleton);

For the Client
- - - - - - - - -
ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(new TcpChannel(8080));

GameController loader = (GameController)Activator.GetObject(

typeof(GameController),"tcp://localhost:8080/GameController");

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated,

---Kyle

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:26:03 GMT
 Peer to peer board game - possible remoting question or design question
If you're doing remoting with UI, you NEED to read this post;

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=uqiExwU8BHA.2320%40tkm...
7

Good Luck.

Quote:
> I've been trying to program a peer to peer board game.  I'm still trying
> have it where the host player sets up a remoting server and a client
player
> uses the client remoting functionality.  However, I am not able to get the
> functionality that I was hoping.  Has anyone successfully used remoting
> other than the command line examples?  Is there another design method?

> Here is the code I've used:

> For the Server
> - - - - - - - - -
> TcpChannel channel = new TcpChannel(8080);

> ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel);

> RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(typeof(GameController),

> "GameController", WellKnownObjectMode.Singleton);

> For the Client
> - - - - - - - - -
> ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(new TcpChannel(8080));

> GameController loader = (GameController)Activator.GetObject(

> typeof(GameController),"tcp://localhost:8080/GameController");

> Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated,

> ---Kyle

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:51:53 GMT
 Peer to peer board game - possible remoting question or design question
Thanks for the post.  However, as I read the message it has more to do with
delegates than with remoting.  Am I missing the remoting part?  I believe
the thread issue is more to do with the delegate than with successfully or
unsuccessfully remoting an object.  No?

---Kyle

Quote:
> If you're doing remoting with UI, you NEED to read this post;

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=uqiExwU8BHA.2320%40tkm...
Quote:
> 7

> Good Luck.

> > I've been trying to program a peer to peer board game.  I'm still trying
> > have it where the host player sets up a remoting server and a client
> player
> > uses the client remoting functionality.  However, I am not able to get
the
> > functionality that I was hoping.  Has anyone successfully used remoting
> > other than the command line examples?  Is there another design method?

> > Here is the code I've used:

> > For the Server
> > - - - - - - - - -
> > TcpChannel channel = new TcpChannel(8080);

> > ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel);

RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(typeof(GameController),

> > "GameController", WellKnownObjectMode.Singleton);

> > For the Client
> > - - - - - - - - -
> > ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(new TcpChannel(8080));

> > GameController loader = (GameController)Activator.GetObject(

> > typeof(GameController),"tcp://localhost:8080/GameController");

> > Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated,

> > ---Kyle

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:54:52 GMT

1. Peer to Peer operation sequence for seting up communication

2. peer to peer and winsockets

3. Peer-to-peer name resolution with Sockets

4. ODBC Access driver on peer-to-peer help

5. Peer to Peer...

6. Peer to peer DCOM

7. alt.internet.p2p (peer-to-peer) newsgroup created

8. Peer to peer Asynchronous socket sample???

9. peer to peer chat

10. Peer to Peer/P2P or File Sharing

11. We need developers that are brilliant Unimodem developers to help with the first Peer-to-Peer telephone network!!!

12. Peer Review Request - getsafe()