Need help building a .NET soap client for XML for Analysis server
Author Message
 Need help building a .NET soap client for XML for Analysis server

Been trying to write a .NET client (C#) for Microsoft's XML for Analysis web
service, with no luck so far. I have installed the XMLA server and managed
to get the supplied VB6 sample to work with it.

However, I really need to access this service through a .NET application we
have been building. The essence of the problem is that the method I need to
use (per the SOAP example in Appendix A below) requires two paremeters
(Command and Properties) and both of these parameters are complex types. All
of the examples I have seen so far for consuming web services use simple
parameters which are just strings.

When I build a proxy for the service using 'wsdl' I get a
SoapHttpClientProtocol descendant with an Execute method that looks like:

[System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapRpcMethodAttribute("urn:schemas-microsoft
-com:xml-analysis:Execute",
RequestNamespace="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis",
ResponseNamespace="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis")]
[return: System.Xml.Serialization.SoapElementAttribute("Result")]
public object Execute(object Command, object Properties) {
    object[] results = this.Invoke("Execute", new object[] {
        Command,
        Properties});
    return ((object)(results[0]));

Quote:
}

I have tried to pass a variety of different kinds of object with various
attributes to this method without success. Most fail with errors about being
unable to generate the XML.

Has anyone succesfully built a .NET client for XML/A?

Or, failing that, can anyone point me in the right direction for passing
more complex objects through a SOAP client proxy?

TIA,
Terry Field.

****Appendix A ************************************************
SOAPAction: "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:Execute"
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
   xmlns:SOAP-ENV=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
   xmlns:xsi=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
   xmlns:xsd=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>
   <SOAP-ENV:Body>
      <Execute xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis"
      SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>
         <Command>
            <Statement>
               select [Measures].members on Columns from Sales
            </Statement>
         </Command>
         <Properties>
            <PropertyList>
               <DataSourceInfo>
                  Provider=MSOLAP;Data Source=local;
               </DataSourceInfo>
               <Catalog>
                  Foodmart 2000
               </Catalog>
               <Format>
                  Multidimensional
               </Format>
               <AxisFormat>
                  ClusterFormat
               </AxisFormat>
            </PropertyList>
         </Properties>
      </Execute>
   </SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:41:51 GMT

1. REPOST: SOAP client/server

2. ATL server/.NET soap header compilation issue

3. Getting Microsoft SOAP to work with an Apache SOAP server

4. ATL server/.NET soap header compilation issue

5. Web Service (SOAP RPC) client help

6. Client Server problem: CLIENT printerDC not available on SERVER

7. Non-MFC OLE client calling MFC-built server DLL

8. Non-MFC OLE client calling MFC-built server DLL

9. Server Side and Client Side Scripting in ASP.NET

10. ASP.NET: adding client-side attributes to webform server control

11. Build COM servers with vc++.net for WinCE?

12. Professional ASP.NET Server Controls - Building Custom Controls with C#