Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?
Author Message
 Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?

I am moving to C# from VB6, where I used Jet for most of my projects. I'm
having trouble in the C# walkthroughs, mainly because of low-level
environmental issues-- mainly, I need to set up IIS and MSDE on my system.
Is anyone familiar with any books on getting started with VS.Net,
particularly any dealing with environmental issues? I have been through the
VS.Net documentation, and I'm not having much luck finding this stuff.
Thanks

Dave Veeneman

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:49:54 GMT
 Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?
I read Programming C# by Jesse Liberty.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/

Seems like a good book. Only C# one I've read to date.
There's a lot of errata, but that's likely due to the nature of leading edge writing.
--
Randy Charles Morin
http://www.kbcafe.com

Feel free to contact me by private email or messenger

Quote:

> I am moving to C# from VB6, where I used Jet for most of my projects. I'm
> having trouble in the C# walkthroughs, mainly because of low-level
> environmental issues-- mainly, I need to set up IIS and MSDE on my system.
> Is anyone familiar with any books on getting started with VS.Net,
> particularly any dealing with environmental issues? I have been through the
> VS.Net documentation, and I'm not having much luck finding this stuff.
> Thanks

> Dave Veeneman

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:59:36 GMT
 Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?
One outstanding book I have seen so far is "A Programmer's Introduction to
C# Second Edition".

If you want to buy two books, then get Programming C# from O'Riley as well.

fadi

Quote:
> I am moving to C# from VB6, where I used Jet for most of my projects. I'm
> having trouble in the C# walkthroughs, mainly because of low-level
> environmental issues-- mainly, I need to set up IIS and MSDE on my system.
> Is anyone familiar with any books on getting started with VS.Net,
> particularly any dealing with environmental issues? I have been through
the
> VS.Net documentation, and I'm not having much luck finding this stuff.
> Thanks

> Dave Veeneman

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:26:21 GMT
 Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?
Hi.

You are righ that there were some typos in the book, but I've documented
every reported error in my errata sheet on my web site (where you can also
get the updated source code).

We found about 30 minor errors and typos, which is not good but is probably
typical for a book of this size. What is unusual is the effort I put into
ensuring that every one of them is documented and the fix is provided. While
you're downloading the source and errata, you can also sign up for a private
support discussion I provide.

The book was not rushed to print, we spent 5 months editing it carefully;
things slip through but we're working to fix every known problem. The second
edition will correct all the problems and will ensure that the code (which
was already tested for Beta 2) is tested for the release version.

Thanks.

-j

--
Jesse Liberty
Liberty Associates, Inc.

Quote:

>>I read Programming C# by Jesse

Liberty.http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/Seems like a good book.
Only C# one I've read to date.There's a lot of errata, but that's likely due
to the nature of leading edge writing. <<

Quote:
> It is a good and well-organized book but it was very, very badly

proofread, which is a surprising thing from O'Reilly whose books are usually
proofread quite well. <

Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:26:50 GMT
 Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?
On the http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/ website, there were
only two confirmed errata. Your website is much better,
http://www.LibertyAssociates.com. You should kick some O'Reilly ass
and get them to update their site.

Randy Charles Morin

Quote:

> Hi.

> You are righ that there were some typos in the book, but I've documented
> every reported error in my errata sheet on my web site (where you can also
> get the updated source code).

> We found about 30 minor errors and typos, which is not good but is probably
> typical for a book of this size. What is unusual is the effort I put into
> ensuring that every one of them is documented and the fix is provided. While
> you're downloading the source and errata, you can also sign up for a private
> support discussion I provide.

> The book was not rushed to print, we spent 5 months editing it carefully;
> things slip through but we're working to fix every known problem. The second
> edition will correct all the problems and will ensure that the code (which
> was already tested for Beta 2) is tested for the release version.

> Thanks.

> -j

> --
> Jesse Liberty
> Liberty Associates, Inc.
> .NET Training & Development
> http://www.LibertyAssociates.com

> >>I read Programming C# by Jesse
> Liberty.http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp/Seems like a good book.
> Only C# one I've read to date.There's a lot of errata, but that's likely due
> to the nature of leading edge writing. <<

> > It is a good and well-organized book but it was very, very badly
> proofread, which is a surprising thing from O'Reilly whose books are usually
> proofread quite well. <

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 03:37:48 GMT

1. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

2. VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

3. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

4. C# & .NET Books: Liberty vs Troelsen

5. Getting DirectX 9.0 to work with VS.NET

6. Command Arguments getting lost/reset (VS.NET)

7. Help getting VS.Net

8. Visual C++.Net Step by Step book/Visual C++.Net Software

9. .net book for people moving from VC6 to .Net

10. C# .NET vs C++ .NET

11. VS.NET 2003 VC++ and .NET controls

12. VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)