Seeking Book Review - C# Design Patterns
Author Message
 Seeking Book Review - C# Design Patterns

Anyone have the new book by James Cooper "C# Design Patterns:  A Tutorial"?

I've tried all the usual places to try to find a review, but no luck.  He
has a similar book for Java that was met with mixed reviews, and the table
of contents seems pretty similar.  I'm wondering if this version fixed some
of the complaints of the Java version.  I've got the GOF book on patterns,
but wanted something language-specific to provide more concrete examples of
applying the patterns.

Thanks for any help!

-Ken

Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:00:01 GMT
 Seeking Book Review - C# Design Patterns

Quote:
> Anyone have the new book by James Cooper "C# Design Patterns:  A
Tutorial"?

> I've tried all the usual places to try to find a review, but no luck.  He
> has a similar book for Java that was met with mixed reviews, and the table
> of contents seems pretty similar.  I'm wondering if this version fixed
some
> of the complaints of the Java version.  I've got the GOF book on patterns,
> but wanted something language-specific to provide more concrete examples
of
> applying the patterns.

> Thanks for any help!

> -Ken

The book was on-line free in pdf for a long time but they took it down once
it was published.

I think it does exactly what you want. Provide concrete examples in C# and
WinForms for concepts in the Patterns book.

But it is just as it claims to be--a "tutorial". The code is generally too
simple for use in applications. I was trying to wade through the Command
Pattern example in msdn magazine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/10/CommandManagement/defa...
and the Cooper book, using the same example, was useful in getting started.
But the msdn sample code is more complete, would serve better in an actual
application, and used more sophisticated C#.

However, I would recommend the book.

Bob H.

a.. William Blake, "Prologue, Intended for a Dramatic Piece of King Edward
the Fourth"
  O for a voice like thunder, and a tongue
  To drown the throat of war! When the senses
  Are shaken, and the soul is driven to madness,
  Who can stand? When the souls of the oppressd
  Fight in the troubled air that rages, who can stand?
  When the whirlwind of fury comes from the
  Throne of God, when the frowns of his countenance
  Drive the nations together, who can stand?
  When Sin claps his broad wings over the battle,
  And sails rejoicing in the flood of Death;
  When souls are torn to everlasting fire,
  And fiends of Hell rejoice upon the slain,
  O who can stand? O who hath causd this?
  O who can answer at the throne of God?
  The Kings and Nobles of the Land have done it!
  Hear it not, Heaven, thy Ministers have done it!

Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:06:39 GMT
 Seeking Book Review - C# Design Patterns
Ken,
The 'web site' for this book is:

http://labsoftware.com/labsoftware/CSharpPats/design_patterns_in_c.htm

He used to have a preview copy of it loaded there.

In addition to the Java version & C# version he has a VB.NET version.

When I read the C# preview, the text was identical to the VB.NET version,
which browsing at Barnes & Noble, seems identical to the Java version...
(Hey! its easier to change the samples & do a search & replace on the
language...)

Unfortunately he missed the point on .NET  Properties, instead favoring
Java's get & set methods...

Overall I would recommend Cooper's book, as I find it a good companion to
the GOF book...

Hope this helps
Jay

Quote:
> Anyone have the new book by James Cooper "C# Design Patterns:  A
Tutorial"?

> I've tried all the usual places to try to find a review, but no luck.  He
> has a similar book for Java that was met with mixed reviews, and the table
> of contents seems pretty similar.  I'm wondering if this version fixed
some
> of the complaints of the Java version.  I've got the GOF book on patterns,
> but wanted something language-specific to provide more concrete examples
of
> applying the patterns.

> Thanks for any help!

> -Ken

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 09:45:23 GMT

1. FS: Design Patterns (GoF) book

2. Design Patterns in C#

3. Design pattern for a C# webb application

4. Design Patterns in C#

5. How to implement a Model View Controller design pattern in C# .NET

6. Design Patterns (Gamma et al.) - C# implementations available

7. Seeking review of C/C++ debugging tools

8. Design patterns

9. Singleton Design Pattern Question

10. Looking for a design pattern...

11. C and design patterns

12. Design patterns and the benefits of?