Hiding Caret?
Author Message
 Hiding Caret?

I'm developing a windows control derived from
System.Windows.Forms.UpDownBase. I have it pretty well worked out except
that I'd like to get rid of the caret that flashes in the TextBox portion of
the control. I intend to use this control to present the user with a finite
set of read-only choices, and the caret is not only distracting but also
imples that the choices can be edited.

Does anyone know how to call a method or set  a property on UpDownBase that
will hide the caret?

Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:58:56 GMT
 Hiding Caret?
You may want to simply hide the cursor when such control receives
focus.

On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:58:56 GMT, "WIlliam Barnes"

Quote:

>I'm developing a windows control derived from
>System.Windows.Forms.UpDownBase. I have it pretty well worked out except
>that I'd like to get rid of the caret that flashes in the TextBox portion of
>the control. I intend to use this control to present the user with a finite
>set of read-only choices, and the caret is not only distracting but also
>imples that the choices can be edited.

>Does anyone know how to call a method or set  a property on UpDownBase that
>will hide the caret?

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:28:41 GMT
 Hiding Caret?

It may be that that's what I want to do, but I thought that the term
'cursor" represented the arrow (or whatever) that moves around when the
user provides mouse input, whereas the 'caret' was the blinking vertical
line that appears in TextBoxes, etc., in order to indicate the location
for text input from the keyboard.

What I want is to make the caret disappear. How can I do this? I didn't
see any likely suspects for a method such as this when I examined the
list of members and methods for UpDownBase.

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:25:41 GMT
 Hiding Caret?
Franky, I don't know. However, here is a couple of thoughts:

- You may set your control to ReadOnly.  The caret will be there, but
the content will be not editable.

- Sound like the functionality you're trying to implement can be done
with a one-line listbox.  You may want to inherit your control off the
listbox instead.

On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 19:25:41 -0700, William Barnes

Quote:

>It may be that that's what I want to do, but I thought that the term
>'cursor" represented the arrow (or whatever) that moves around when the
>user provides mouse input, whereas the 'caret' was the blinking vertical
>line that appears in TextBoxes, etc., in order to indicate the location
>for text input from the keyboard.

>What I want is to make the caret disappear. How can I do this? I didn't
>see any likely suspects for a method such as this when I examined the
>list of members and methods for UpDownBase.

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:37:05 GMT

1. How to hide caret for CRichEditCtrl?

2. Hide Caret within a RichEditDocument

3. How can I hide the caret in RichEditCtrl

4. CoolHide - Help you hide/minimize window to Tray and hide icons from the system tray

5. IDL hidden attribute failing to hide in .NET

6. keep the Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar permanently hidden

7. keep the Win2000's auto-hide-enabled taskbar permanently hidden

8. programmatic hide of Win2000 auto-hide-enabled taskbar

9. USB-HID Problem: Errors with Hid.lib

10. Hiding the main Window -> hides MessagesBoxes

11. Un-hiding a hidden window

12. Cannot hide a floating toolbar using Hide button