c# vs VS .net
Author Message
 c# vs VS .net

I want to buy a .net product to develop Windows applications in C#.  I'll
probably buy Visual C# .net Standard for $99.  My other option is to buy
Visual Studio .Net Pro for $999 (not eligible for upgrade).  I'd like to
know what features I'm bypassing in the full Visual Studio product.  I
realise VS supports all the .net languages, but what else will I be missing?

Specifically, can C# standard develop apps for the PocketPC?

Wayne

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:13:42 GMT
 c# vs VS .net
I think the Smart Device Extensions are only for Visual Basic.NET. I might
be wrong, but every Microsoft website I have seen about them does not
mention C#, only VB.NET. This doesn't really make sense since it will
compile to compact IL anyway, but it may be the sad truth.

Cromas

Quote:
> I want to buy a .net product to develop Windows applications in C#.  I'll
> probably buy Visual C# .net Standard for $99.  My other option is to buy
> Visual Studio .Net Pro for $999 (not eligible for upgrade).  I'd like to
> know what features I'm bypassing in the full Visual Studio product.  I
> realise VS supports all the .net languages, but what else will I be
missing?

> Specifically, can C# standard develop apps for the PocketPC?

> Wayne

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:43:06 GMT
 c# vs VS .net
Found this on the MS site.  It looks like Visual Studio adds extra support
for database servers.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/productinfo/qa.asp
Q. What are the differences between Visual C# .NET Standard Edition and
Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition?

A. Visual C# .NET Standard is intended for hobbyist or non-professional
developers looking to learn the C# programming language. As such, Visual C#
.NET does not include the following features found in Visual Studio .NET

Professional and higher editions:
- The "server" node in the Server Explorer. Developers will commonly use
this feature to visually design server-side solutions.
- Source code control integration. Programmers looking to use Microsoft
Visual SourceSafe? should upgrade to Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition
or higher.
- Enhanced debugging support. Developers looking to debug remote server or
service objects and debug SQL applications will need to upgrade to Visual
Studio .NET Professional Edition or higher.
- Enhanced deployment support. Visual C# .NET Standard will not provide
support for creating CAB files, deploying to a Web server, or incorporating
redistributable components in their projects.
- Visual data tools. Developers will need to upgrade in order to visually
design tables, queries, and stored procedures. - Extra wizards. Numerous
additional wizards, ranging from the Control Creation wizard to the Windows
Service wizard, are not present in Visual C# .NET Standard Edition.
- Sample applications. The enterprise samples for "Fitch and Mather" and
"Duwamish" are available only to users of Visual Studio .NET Professional
and higher.
- SDK support. Developers wishing to obtain the Platform SDK or Visual
Studio SDK must either download them from the MSDN? Web site or obtain
Visual Studio .NET Professional Edition or higher.

Quote:
> I want to buy a .net product to develop Windows applications in C#.  I'll
> probably buy Visual C# .net Standard for $99.  My other option is to buy
> Visual Studio .Net Pro for $999 (not eligible for upgrade).  I'd like to
> know what features I'm bypassing in the full Visual Studio product.  I
> realise VS supports all the .net languages, but what else will I be
missing?

> Specifically, can C# standard develop apps for the PocketPC?

> Wayne

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:09:03 GMT
 c# vs VS .net
Nop, SDE are included for VB.Net and C#.

--
Alberto Borbolla
Microsoft  MVP

Quote:
> I think the Smart Device Extensions are only for Visual Basic.NET. I might
> be wrong, but every Microsoft website I have seen about them does not
> mention C#, only VB.NET. This doesn't really make sense since it will
> compile to compact IL anyway, but it may be the sad truth.

> Cromas

> > I want to buy a .net product to develop Windows applications in C#.
I'll
> > probably buy Visual C# .net Standard for $99.  My other option is to buy
> > Visual Studio .Net Pro for $999 (not eligible for upgrade).  I'd like to
> > know what features I'm bypassing in the full Visual Studio product.  I
> > realise VS supports all the .net languages, but what else will I be
> missing?

> > Specifically, can C# standard develop apps for the PocketPC?

> > Wayne

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:23:27 GMT

1. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

2. Visual C# Standard vs VS.NET Pro

3. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

4. VC 6 vs VC7 (VS.net)

5. VS.NET vs VC++ 6.0

6. Installing VS.Net and VS 6.0 side by side

7. Debugging with VS.NET 2003 and VS 6

8. New Install of VS.NET brings up IE vs App on debug

9. VS 6.0 -> VS .NET migration issues

10. install vs.net with VS 6.0 still present?

11. VS 6.0 and VS .NET Beta 1 on the same machine

12. MASM vs TASM vs VC++ vs DJGPP vs A*^ vs PCC vs DEBUG,, "Hello World!"