C# language specification - which version should I use?
Author Message
 C# language specification - which version should I use?

As some may have noted already, I like using the language specification
to clear up any doubts I have (or which other people express). However,
I've found two different versions of the C# language spec: the Microsoft
one (CSharp_36.doc) and the ECMA standard (which I'm using Jon Jagger's
hyperlinked version of). Unfortunately these use different numbering
schemes, which make them less useful to quote from.

Which version is more commonly used? Are they both still even *in* use?
(Or, for example, does Microsoft now really defer to the ECMA one?)

--

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~skeet/

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 05:56:18 GMT
 C# language specification - which version should I use?

Quote:
> As some may have noted already, I like using the language specification
> to clear up any doubts I have (or which other people express). However,
> I've found two different versions of the C# language spec: the Microsoft
> one (CSharp_36.doc) and the ECMA standard (which I'm using Jon Jagger's
> hyperlinked version of). Unfortunately these use different numbering
> schemes, which make them less useful to quote from.

> Which version is more commonly used? Are they both still even *in* use?
> (Or, for example, does Microsoft now really defer to the ECMA one?)

For the purposes of this group, using the Microsoft one in the
.NET Framework SDK docs would be fine.

-c

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:05:21 GMT

1. Suggestions to C# Language specification

2. language specifications

3. Problem compiling the sample code from language specification .....

4. Tentative specification for UNIX Version 7 C

5. C as 2nd CS language (was Re: Languages ...

6. API Specification for C#

7. Cosmetic error in C# doc specification

8. Convert registry date format specification to COleDateTime format specification

9. C++ Compiler option for using version 5 under version 6

10. Using new RichEditCtrl 2.0 version in place of the old 1.0 version

11. Creating a table from VC++ using stored in Access import/export table specification

12. Where can I find the language specification for C#?