Debug and Release Targest Into Same Directory??
Author Message
 Debug and Release Targest Into Same Directory??

I'm trying to find a way to output both the debug and release targets into
the same directory, BUT with different names.  Usually, I like to do this in
the build process and append a 'D' onto the debug target (e.g. MyDll.dll &
MyDllD.dll).  I see that you can change the Assembly name which affects the
output name, but that setting isn't allowed per configuration (i.e. there
can only be ONE output name for all configurations).  So, is this impossible
to do in .NET?

Thanks,

Tim Rogers

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:23:17 GMT
 Debug and Release Targest Into Same Directory??
A follow up question:  Is there a way to have different references per
configuration?  This too seems to be global for all configurations.  So, it
seems that it would be impossible for my debug client dot net app to
reference a debug version of a dot net component, but also have the release
client dot net app reference a release version of a dot net component.  Is
this the case?

Tim Rogers

Quote:
> I'm trying to find a way to output both the debug and release targets into
> the same directory, BUT with different names.  Usually, I like to do this
in
> the build process and append a 'D' onto the debug target (e.g. MyDll.dll &
> MyDllD.dll).  I see that you can change the Assembly name which affects
the
> output name, but that setting isn't allowed per configuration (i.e. there
> can only be ONE output name for all configurations).  So, is this
impossible
> to do in .NET?

> Thanks,

> Tim Rogers

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:35:03 GMT
 Debug and Release Targest Into Same Directory??
I suspect that you will have to use the command line compiler instead of the
IDE to accomplish this.  Using the command line (vbc.exe) you can specify
the output file names.

HTH

David

P.S.  I would not be a big fan of this, as it means that you can not do more
than the straight coding work in the IDE.  You would forgo the debugging
processes that the IDE gives you.

Quote:
> A follow up question:  Is there a way to have different references per
> configuration?  This too seems to be global for all configurations.  So,
it
> seems that it would be impossible for my debug client dot net app to
> reference a debug version of a dot net component, but also have the
release
> client dot net app reference a release version of a dot net component.  Is
> this the case?

> Tim Rogers

> > I'm trying to find a way to output both the debug and release targets
into
> > the same directory, BUT with different names.  Usually, I like to do
this
> in
> > the build process and append a 'D' onto the debug target (e.g. MyDll.dll
&
> > MyDllD.dll).  I see that you can change the Assembly name which affects
> the
> > output name, but that setting isn't allowed per configuration (i.e.
there
> > can only be ONE output name for all configurations).  So, is this
> impossible
> > to do in .NET?

> > Thanks,

> > Tim Rogers

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 00:26:35 GMT

1. Helps need on adding debug info to release mode so to debug release code

2. changing default Release and Debug directories

3. Visual Studio makes Debug/Release directories in current working folder

4. Debug build fine, release crashes unless we link with debug Multi-Threaded library

5. Managed VC++.NET (2002): Run the .exe file in the Debug or Release Folder

6. Release builds have debug info on by default?

7. debugging release version of exe

8. debug exe OK but release exe crashes

9. Debug/Release problems

10. Debug the release vesion?