Why not XML make files !!
Author Message
 Why not XML make files !!

Hello All,

Nearly all features in .Net use XML intensivly. then why is it that for
making programs we still have to use the old nmake utility which needs those
old make files.

why not have a NMAKE.NET which lets users define the make files in Xml.?

regards,
Abhishek,

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 13:21:17 GMT
 Why not XML make files !!
Good question;  certainly config files like our old friends ".ini" have gone
the way of XML, why not batch scripts as well?

I think this would make an excellent project to tackle-- all you'd need to
do is come up with a schema and code up a console app that would wrap nmake
and let you pass parameters to it.

On the other hand, I can see why they kept it simple-- it's kind of an
homage to the old days of linking and compiling...  sheesh, Linux folks have
to run arcane make, make install scripts all the time!

Chris.

Quote:
> Hello All,

> Nearly all features in .Net use XML intensivly. then why is it that for
> making programs we still have to use the old nmake utility which needs
those
> old make files.

> why not have a NMAKE.NET which lets users define the make files in Xml.?

> regards,
> Abhishek,

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:08:26 GMT
 Why not XML make files !!
Quote:
> I think this would make an excellent project to tackle

I am sure MS would have given this a thought.
Is there already some initiative going on? then we should look at it.

Quote:
> > On the other hand, I can see why they kept it simple--

Make files get really complex if the project is big. I have modified them
a couple of times but I have never really understood them.
The lack of meta data makes it even worse. I think xml would make
it simple.

Quote:
>> Linux folks have to run arcane make, make install scripts all the time!

PHBs !!

regards,
Abhishek.

Quote:
> Good question;  certainly config files like our old friends ".ini" have
gone
> the way of XML, why not batch scripts as well?

> I think this would make an excellent project to tackle-- all you'd need to
> do is come up with a schema and code up a console app that would wrap
nmake
> and let you pass parameters to it.

> On the other hand, I can see why they kept it simple-- it's kind of an
> homage to the old days of linking and compiling...  sheesh, Linux folks
have
> to run arcane make, make install scripts all the time!

> Chris.

> > Hello All,

> > Nearly all features in .Net use XML intensivly. then why is it that for
> > making programs we still have to use the old nmake utility which needs
> those
> > old make files.

> > why not have a NMAKE.NET which lets users define the make files in Xml.?

> > regards,
> > Abhishek,

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:30:05 GMT
 Why not XML make files !!

Quote:

> Nearly all features in .Net use XML intensivly. then why is it that for
> making programs we still have to use the old nmake utility which needs those
> old make files.

> why not have a NMAKE.NET which lets users define the make files in Xml.?

    Have you taken a look at ant [1] ? It's a build facility
    obsoleting make, using xml as its build files. However it's
    heavily biased torwards Javabut it 'tasks' can be written for
    it (what to do when certain actions are required) or it can
    server up as a gruond for something more specific targeted at
    .NET

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/

--
Remove 'nospam-' from my sender domain to contact me privately.

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:10:54 GMT
 Why not XML make files !!
Or NAnt: http://nant.sourceforge.net/

Quote:

> > Nearly all features in .Net use XML intensivly. then why is it that for
> > making programs we still have to use the old nmake utility which needs
those
> > old make files.

> > why not have a NMAKE.NET which lets users define the make files in Xml.?

>     Have you taken a look at ant [1] ? It's a build facility
>     obsoleting make, using xml as its build files. However it's
>     heavily biased torwards Javabut it 'tasks' can be written for
>     it (what to do when certain actions are required) or it can
>     server up as a gruond for something more specific targeted at
>     .NET

> [1] http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/

> --
> Remove 'nospam-' from my sender domain to contact me privately.

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:38:43 GMT

1. why not nesed Xml Serialization

2. creating xml schema programmatically from an an xml file without using ADO.NET

3. VC++ and XML, I want to retrieve an XML file from URL

4. VC++ and XML, I want to retrieve an XML file from a URL

5. why not include .c files ?

6. Why is PDB file format not publicly available?

7. Why won't a include file get included some times and not other

8. Why is not thereseveral files in PPC2002 SDK?

9. write a file to a xml file

10. how to: XML file as application configuration file

11. Why use XML?

12. WTL: Why the XML manifest?