Books: Any high-level,dense books consentrating on C# itself
Author Message
 Books: Any high-level,dense books consentrating on C# itself

Greetings!

It is time supplementing my library.NET with
a book concentrating on the C# language itself.

It should be a information dense book, so that
I can reed through it several times and consentrate
on the things that are relevant for me.
(Though it shouldn't be a technical reference).

It should assume some level of the reader, be well
written,  and illustrate language features with examples
that shows their power.  It should consentrate more on
insight than technical details

It shouldn't "waste" pages on stuff like Web services,
GUI, ASP.NET etc.  Core library features like collections
and strings could be appropriate, and perhaps also CLS issues.
(Or should that be separate books?)

Some candidates are:

*Pure C#, William Robison, Sams

*Inside C#, Tom Archer, M$ Press

  - Don't think its at a high level.  But seems to be well written.  Old?

* Microsoft .Net for Programmers, Fergal Grimes, Manning

  - A bit different category perhaps

Mayo's C# unleashed is also probably a good book,
but doesn't seem very dense to me - more a reference and
a tutorial.

Thanks!
Olav

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:49:55 GMT
 Books: Any high-level,dense books consentrating on C# itself
I usually don't recommend my own book here, but I think it's exactly what
you're looking for.

A Programmer's Introduction to C#, Eric Gunnerson, Apress.

> Greetings!

> It is time supplementing my library.NET with
> a book concentrating on the C# language itself.

> It should be a information dense book, so that
> I can reed through it several times and consentrate
> on the things that are relevant for me.
> (Though it shouldn't be a technical reference).

> It should assume some level of the reader, be well
> written,  and illustrate language features with examples
> that shows their power.  It should consentrate more on
> insight than technical details

> It shouldn't "waste" pages on stuff like Web services,
> GUI, ASP.NET etc.  Core library features like collections
> and strings could be appropriate, and perhaps also CLS issues.
> (Or should that be separate books?)

> Some candidates are:

> *Pure C#, William Robison, Sams

> *Inside C#, Tom Archer, M$ Press

>   - Don't think its at a high level.  But seems to be well written.  Old?

> * Microsoft .Net for Programmers, Fergal Grimes, Manning

>   - A bit different category perhaps

> Mayo's C# unleashed is also probably a good book,
> but doesn't seem very dense to me - more a reference and
> a tutorial.

> Thanks!
> Olav

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:06:24 GMT

1. Books Books Books!

2. Book advice: Any text-book like books?

3. Of Interest to Programmrs: Book On High-Tech Consulting

4. Beginning C# and other C# books

5. Books on low-level link/compile issues?

6. Best book for learning pointers & reference book

7. Book or Books on Bitwise operators.

8. Recommendations for a good VC++ book and MFC book

9. Recommendations for a good VC++ book and MFC book

10. CBT or Good Book for C# Training

11. C# Book