Command prompt way too long...how to shorten?
Author Message
 Command prompt way too long...how to shorten?

Hello all,

When spawning to a shell to compile, I'm deep in a folder structure that is
very long and as such the command prompt displays this huge .ine whenever i
type in commands.
Is there a way to shorten it while working and remaining in the deep folder
structure?

For example, instead of:

C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
Projects\DotNET\StackExample\dir
C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
Projects\DotNET\StackExample\csc.exe stack.cs

...can I have...

.\dir
.\csc.exe stack.cs

...or something equivalent?

(I'm not too sure what will happen here if I decide to move up a folder
level though !?!)

Regards,
Brad.

P.S. If theres no *easy* way of doing this, (like some environment variable
setting) is there a way to 'program' something?

Sat, 28 May 2005 16:06:02 GMT
 Command prompt way too long...how to shorten?
at the command prompt, type

prompt /?

to see the options.

--
Nick Holmes
Coyote Software, GmbH.

Quote:
> Hello all,

> When spawning to a shell to compile, I'm deep in a folder structure that
is
> very long and as such the command prompt displays this huge .ine whenever
> type in commands.
> Is there a way to shorten it while working and remaining in the deep
folder
> structure?

> For example, instead of:

> C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
> Projects\DotNET\StackExample\dir
> C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
> Projects\DotNET\StackExample\csc.exe stack.cs

> ...can I have...

> .\dir
> .\csc.exe stack.cs

> ...or something equivalent?

> (I'm not too sure what will happen here if I decide to move up a folder
> level though !?!)

> Regards,
> Brad.

> P.S. If theres no *easy* way of doing this, (like some environment
variable
> setting) is there a way to 'program' something?

Sat, 28 May 2005 16:22:01 GMT
 Command prompt way too long...how to shorten?
Ahhh...

I now simply use "prompt $g". Hehe.

Thanks :)

Regards,
brad.

Quote:
> at the command prompt, type

> prompt /?

> to see the options.

> --
> Nick Holmes
> Coyote Software, GmbH.

> > Hello all,

> > When spawning to a shell to compile, I'm deep in a folder structure that
> is
> > very long and as such the command prompt displays this huge .ine
whenever
> > type in commands.
> > Is there a way to shorten it while working and remaining in the deep
> folder
> > structure?

> > For example, instead of:

> > C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
> > Projects\DotNET\StackExample\dir
> > C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
> > Projects\DotNET\StackExample\csc.exe stack.cs

> > ...can I have...

> > .\dir
> > .\csc.exe stack.cs

> > ...or something equivalent?

> > (I'm not too sure what will happen here if I decide to move up a folder
> > level though !?!)

> > Regards,
> > Brad.

> > P.S. If theres no *easy* way of doing this, (like some environment
> variable
> > setting) is there a way to 'program' something?

Sat, 28 May 2005 16:43:47 GMT
 Command prompt way too long...how to shorten?
also the subst command still seems to work, so:
subst W: "C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My Projects\DotNET"
would give you a virtual W: drive with StackExample as a subdirectory.

Quote:
> Ahhh...

> I now simply use "prompt $g". Hehe.

> Thanks :)

> Regards,
> brad.

> > at the command prompt, type

> > prompt /?

> > to see the options.

> > --
> > Nick Holmes
> > Coyote Software, GmbH.

> > > Hello all,

> > > When spawning to a shell to compile, I'm deep in a folder structure
that
> > is
> > > very long and as such the command prompt displays this huge .ine
> whenever
> > > type in commands.
> > > Is there a way to shorten it while working and remaining in the deep
> > folder
> > > structure?

> > > For example, instead of:

> > > C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
> > > Projects\DotNET\StackExample\dir
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My
> > > Projects\DotNET\StackExample\csc.exe stack.cs

> > > ...can I have...

> > > .\dir
> > > .\csc.exe stack.cs

> > > ...or something equivalent?

> > > (I'm not too sure what will happen here if I decide to move up a
folder
> > > level though !?!)

> > > Regards,
> > > Brad.

> > > P.S. If theres no *easy* way of doing this, (like some environment
> > variable
> > > setting) is there a way to 'program' something?

Sat, 28 May 2005 17:26:07 GMT

1. configure IIS to use ASP.NET using command prompt

2. simolates the windows command prompt

3. Command prompt compile and increase version

4. command prompt

5. Weird: Program goes into command prompt !

6. Start Debugger from Command Prompt?

7. Exporting makefiles from command prompt

8. Programmatically sizing Command Prompt window in NT 4.0

9. NEWBIE: Can't compile at command prompt

10. ppid's, environment variables and command prompts

11. Running a C program with arguments from the command prompt

12. Help, Urgent-->Suppressing keys on Command Prompt