Does C# produce .exe files?
Author Message
 Does C# produce .exe files?

Can C# produce exe files, or must you always have CLR installed?

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:50:30 GMT
 Does C# produce .exe files?

Quote:
> Can C# produce exe files, or must you always have CLR installed?

It produces .exe files that run on the CLR.

You need the CLR but that's not a problem.

Patrik.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:52:47 GMT
 Does C# produce .exe files?
Ollipekka,

Quote:
>Can C# produce exe files,

Yes. If you mean executables that don't depend on the runtime, then
the answer is no.

Quote:
>or must you always have CLR installed?

Yes

Mattias

===
Mattias Sj?gren (VB MVP)

http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:57:55 GMT
 Does C# produce .exe files?
Quote:
> You need the CLR but that's not a problem.

I would say that depends on the application. If the app was a downloadable
executable from the internet then I would say it was a problem; if the group
of users you were targeting did not have the CLR. If they didn't then you
would have to add 21 megs to the download and as such would be unacceptable
to potential users other than ones who have broadband...
Quote:

> > Can C# produce exe files, or must you always have CLR installed?

> It produces .exe files that run on the CLR.

> You need the CLR but that's not a problem.

> Patrik.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:12:06 GMT
 Does C# produce .exe files?

Quote:
> If they didn't then you would have to add 21 megs to the download and as such
> would be unacceptable to potential users other than ones who have broadband...

Well, users without broadband connection is always a problem, a positive thing is that
because of the runtime the programs are much smaller, the CLR install is just a one time
download.

And as a one time download even 21M is acceptable over a modem.

But lets hope it gets smaller as well, I remember the Java 2 runtime being
around 18M when it first came out, today it's about 6M.

Also, the CLR will be default in future Windows versions and I'm willing
to bet that it will be included in the first sp for Windows XP as well.

Patrik.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:26:38 GMT
 Does C# produce .exe files?
    If you look on the Windows Update site, the .NET framework is already
being offered as a recommended update.

--
               - Nicholas Paldino [.NET MVP]

Quote:

> > If they didn't then you would have to add 21 megs to the download and as
such
> > would be unacceptable to potential users other than ones who have
broadband...

> Well, users without broadband connection is always a problem, a positive
thing is that
> because of the runtime the programs are much smaller, the CLR install is
just a one time
> download.

> And as a one time download even 21M is acceptable over a modem.

> But lets hope it gets smaller as well, I remember the Java 2 runtime being
> around 18M when it first came out, today it's about 6M.

> Also, the CLR will be default in future Windows versions and I'm willing
> to bet that it will be included in the first sp for Windows XP as well.

> Patrik.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:48:49 GMT

1. Browser accessible C compiler (produces downloadable MSDOS EXE files)

2. LINK.EXE no longer produces .idata

3. Incremental Build producing bad exe.

4. Can I run other exe file in C#?

5. Question about how to call an .exe file from C#

6. Manifest resource compiled into C# exe file

7. How to use nmake.exe file in C#?

8. Executing native .exe file from C#

9. read a file than produce 2 output files(HELP)

10. read a file than produce 2 output files(HELP)

11. C# produces better IL than C++

12. Pure Tones in C# How do I produce?