C# Base Types vs. .NET Types
Author Message
 C# Base Types vs. .NET Types

Can somebody give me a hint about the difference between the C# string type
(the one the VS.NET IDE highlights blue), and the System.String class?  Just
seems to me like that in this totally integrated and managed world there
wouldn't be such a thing as a language specific type (even if it is the
exact same as the .NET version)... seems to me like we would be creating
strings explicitly referencing the .NET framework

using System;

string blah = "blah";
String blah2 = "blah"; // System.String

Jerry

Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:29:13 GMT
 C# Base Types vs. .NET Types
Jerry,

There is no difference - string is just an C#alias for the .NET
System.String class, just as int is an alias for System.Int32.

Joseph

Quote:
> Can somebody give me a hint about the difference between the C# string
type
> (the one the VS.NET IDE highlights blue), and the System.String class?
Just
> seems to me like that in this totally integrated and managed world there
> wouldn't be such a thing as a language specific type (even if it is the
> exact same as the .NET version)... seems to me like we would be creating
> strings explicitly referencing the .NET framework

> using System;

> string blah = "blah";
> String blah2 = "blah"; // System.String

> Jerry

Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:02:50 GMT

1. C# Types vs. SQL Types (kinda urgent)

2. Type Casting between Base and Derived Type (Serialization of objects with Type members)

3. Why can't overload type cast to base type (object)

4. undefined type in arg list vs. return type

5. type *var -- vs. -- type* var

6. value types vs. reference types

7. type problems with .net types *arrgh*

8. DLL types to .NET types?

9. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

10. VS.net IDE types ComboBox and Members ComboBox

11. Changing the highlighted types in VS .NET

12. Variables and types of type "Type"