tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?
Author Message
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?

I'm looking for a tool that will automatically convert Perl code to
Java or C# code.  Does anyone know whether any conversion program like
this exists?

thanks

adam

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:45:05 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?

Quote:
> I'm looking for a tool that will automatically convert Perl code to
> Java or C# code.  Does anyone know whether any conversion program like
> this exists?

Why?  You can use Visual Perl from Active State if your just trying to
convert to .NET.

Tom Shelton

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:44:49 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?
Also sprach Adam Dingle:

Quote:
> I'm looking for a tool that will automatically convert Perl code to
> Java or C# code.  Does anyone know whether any conversion program like
> this exists?

These conversion-from-language1-to-language2-questions start becoming a real
nuisance here. Face it, in order to convert Perl to Java or C#, the only
reliable way is learning Java or C# and afterwards do it by hand.

Actually, the direction of your conversion is most remarkable: While it
is relatively easy to convert PHP to Perl (yet not automatically), any
conversion from Perl to some other language is extremely hard. There
aren't that much languages out there that are as expressive and
idiomatic as Perl is.

Tassilo
--

pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
$_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:02:44 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?
C:\>type test.pl

pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehto
$_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

C:\>perl test.pl
Just another Perl hacker,

LOL.

-c

Quote:
> Also sprach Adam Dingle:

> > I'm looking for a tool that will automatically convert Perl code to
> > Java or C# code.  Does anyone know whether any conversion program like
> > this exists?

> These conversion-from-language1-to-language2-questions start becoming a
real
> nuisance here. Face it, in order to convert Perl to Java or C#, the only
> reliable way is learning Java or C# and afterwards do it by hand.

> Actually, the direction of your conversion is most remarkable: While it
> is relatively easy to convert PHP to Perl (yet not automatically), any
> conversion from Perl to some other language is extremely hard. There
> aren't that much languages out there that are as expressive and
> idiomatic as Perl is.

> Tassilo
> --

> pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
> $_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 02:59:24 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?

Quote:

> pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
> $_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

Very nice!  And that folks is why Perl is referred to as "Write Only"
language...

Tom Shelton

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 03:51:22 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?
Also sprach Tom Shelton:

Quote:

>> pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
>> $_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

> Very nice!  And that folks is why Perl is referred to as "Write Only"
> language...

*sigh*

Sooner or later this is going to happen on a cross-thread throughout
several programming-language newsgroups when someone includes an
obfuscated signature [1].

<ill punctuation>
And that folks is why Perl programmers are the most competent of all
since we can even read "Write Only" code. We are that smart.
</ill punctuation>

And now I smell flame-war...

Tassilo

[1]: In plain code this is:
     print "Just another Perl hacker,";
How many obfuscated ways do you know of outputting this very line in
Java or C# while only having a maximum amount of four numbers?
--

pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
$_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:22:17 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?

Quote:
> Also sprach Tom Shelton:

> >> pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
> >> $_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

> > Very nice!  And that folks is why Perl is referred to as "Write Only"
> > language...

> *sigh*

> Sooner or later this is going to happen on a cross-thread throughout
> several programming-language newsgroups when someone includes an
> obfuscated signature [1].

> <ill punctuation>
> And that folks is why Perl programmers are the most competent of all
> since we can even read "Write Only" code. We are that smart.
> </ill punctuation>

> And now I smell flame-war...

> Tassilo

> [1]: In plain code this is:
>      print "Just another Perl hacker,";
> How many obfuscated ways do you know of outputting this very line in
> Java or C# while only having a maximum amount of four numbers?
> --

> pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
> $_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

I wasn't trying to start a flame war.  I like Perl.  I used to have a job
programming in Perl about 2 years ago.  I was really pointing out that it
can take a little effort to get used to Perl's sometimes quirky syntax.  I
really enjoyed writing Perl code though... To bad that job dried up.

Tom Shelton

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:26:13 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?
Also sprach Tom Shelton:

Quote:
> I wasn't trying to start a flame war.  I like Perl.  I used to have a job
> programming in Perl about 2 years ago.  I was really pointing out that it
> can take a little effort to get used to Perl's sometimes quirky syntax.  I
> really enjoyed writing Perl code though... To bad that job dried up.

Oh, then be your own employer. :-) Write code and put it on CPAN or let
it perform fancy stuff on your machine. I think one of the reasons why
Perl is used that widely (and has this immensly large CPAN) is the fact
that it's so damn fun to write it. Before I plunged into it, I
considered programming often tedious and painful, no matter whether I was
using (or had to use) C, C++, Java or PROLOG (there was even a time when
I was doing a little bit with Modula-3...gee, those were bad days).
About two or three years ago it started to become fun again thanks to a
silly CGI-thing I was doing in Perl. I soon dumped CGI-stuff but kept
Perl. :-)

Tassilo
--

pam{rekcahbus;})(rekcah{lrePbus;})(lreP{rehtonabus;})(rehtona{tsuJbus!;
$_=reverse;s/sub/(reverse"bus").chr(32)/xge;tr~\n~~d;eval;

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:58:54 GMT
 tool to convert Perl to Java or C#?

Quote:
> silly CGI-thing I was doing in Perl. I soon dumped CGI-stuff but kept
> Perl. :-)

Hmmmm, why did you dump the CGI stuff ?

--
Joe Mc Cool
Tangent Computer Research BT71 7LN (www.tangent-research.com)

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:22:41 GMT

1. java to C# and C# to java converters

2. Tool to port java to C#

3. Cross language problem with J# and C# and converted Java .Classes

4. Converting Java to C#

5. Converting from Java to C#...?

6. Convert Java to C#?

7. Converting java Applet to C#

8. JNBridge Releases Faster Version of JNBridgePro Java/.NET interoperability tool with Java-to-.NET Callbacks

9. C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl comparison

10. US - NYC - WWW Developer - HTML/Perl/CGI/Java - Wall Street Opportunity

11. US - NYC - WWW Developer - HTML/Perl/CGI/Java - Wall Street Opportunity

12. Help converting C xor function to Perl?