Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
Author Message
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed

Help! I tried adding an event handler to to a combobox control in one of my
projects and VS.Net immediately crashed. I tried undoing the checkouts for
the entire project, but VS.Net crashes when I attempt to open the solution.
I've tried removing the form entirely from the project, by editing the
.csproj file, but that still doesn't help. Other projects, outside the
solution, can be opened. Even using VSS, I'm worried that I've lost six
months worth of work, even with having taken daily backups and put code in
VSS, and
need help recovering from this crash. I have tried restoring backups, and
the solution still crashes.
Anyone from MS? Please?

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:08:01 GMT
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
Randy at Home, try this to see if you can fix your project.

Create a new project of the same type as your broken projcet.  Add all of
the forms and classes into this project and save it.  Don't add the combobox
form yet.  Build the solution, save and exit.  Reopen VS.Net and make sure
everything is working.  (At this point you could copy your working solution
to another directory just to be safe)  Now add your broken form and compile
and save.  Make sure everything works.

You could also try copying your solution to another location and then
deleting your solution file.  Now try to open the project file.

How did you try to add teh event handler, manually or through the properties
window?  Both should work if done right, just trying to glean some clue as
to what caused this.

--
Greg
http://www.claritycon.com/

Quote:
> Help! I tried adding an event handler to to a combobox control in one of
my
> projects and VS.Net immediately crashed. I tried undoing the checkouts for
> the entire project, but VS.Net crashes when I attempt to open the
solution.
> I've tried removing the form entirely from the project, by editing the
> .csproj file, but that still doesn't help. Other projects, outside the
> solution, can be opened. Even using VSS, I'm worried that I've lost six
> months worth of work, even with having taken daily backups and put code in
> VSS, and
> need help recovering from this crash. I have tried restoring backups, and
> the solution still crashes.
> Anyone from MS? Please?

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:56:44 GMT
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
Greg,

I'm not planning on doing that any time soon with 50,000 lines of code and
300 forms. What I did do was to build a new directory structure from the VSS
directory. I then deleted the offending form, before rebuilding the
solution. Interestingly enough, many if not all of the form bitmap and icon
settings were lost. The problem did clear up. I was unable to re-add the
offending form without VS.Net crashing.

The problem appears tied to the MSChart control. The VS.Net form designer
apparently is {*filter*} when that chart control is used inside a panel or
within a derived form. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point, other
than dropping the control and building our own. Even with that, we have
little confidence in the stability of the Form Designer.

The event handler addition was done through the designer and appears now to
be just an artifact rather than anything significant. The designer seems to
have decided, at that moment, to redraw or validate something in the form
relating to the chart, and died at that point.

We're now reconsidering the use of certain parts of the .Net framework until
it is more stable. There was lots of hair pulling and teeth knashing at the
office today.

Thanks for your advice,

Randy

Quote:
> Randy at Home, try this to see if you can fix your project.

> Create a new project of the same type as your broken projcet.  Add all of
> the forms and classes into this project and save it.  Don't add the
combobox
> form yet.  Build the solution, save and exit.  Reopen VS.Net and make sure
> everything is working.  (At this point you could copy your working
solution
> to another directory just to be safe)  Now add your broken form and
compile
> and save.  Make sure everything works.

> You could also try copying your solution to another location and then
> deleting your solution file.  Now try to open the project file.

> How did you try to add teh event handler, manually or through the
properties
> window?  Both should work if done right, just trying to glean some clue as
> to what caused this.

> --
> Greg
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> message

> > Help! I tried adding an event handler to to a combobox control in one of
> my
> > projects and VS.Net immediately crashed. I tried undoing the checkouts
for
> > the entire project, but VS.Net crashes when I attempt to open the
> solution.
> > I've tried removing the form entirely from the project, by editing the
> > .csproj file, but that still doesn't help. Other projects, outside the
> > solution, can be opened. Even using VSS, I'm worried that I've lost six
> > months worth of work, even with having taken daily backups and put code
in
> > VSS, and
> > need help recovering from this crash. I have tried restoring backups,
and
> > the solution still crashes.
> > Anyone from MS? Please?

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:18:21 GMT
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
(best place to be Randy - less publicity :) Sorry - bad taste and all,
couldn't resist.

Quote:
> Randy at Home, try this to see if you can fix your project.

> Create a new project of the same type as your broken projcet.  Add all of
> the forms and classes into this project and save it.  Don't add the
combobox
> form yet.  Build the solution, save and exit.  Reopen VS.Net and make sure
> everything is working.  (At this point you could copy your working
solution
> to another directory just to be safe)  Now add your broken form and
compile
> and save.  Make sure everything works.

> You could also try copying your solution to another location and then
> deleting your solution file.  Now try to open the project file.

> How did you try to add teh event handler, manually or through the
properties
> window?  Both should work if done right, just trying to glean some clue as
> to what caused this.

> --
> Greg
> http://www.claritycon.com/

> message

> > Help! I tried adding an event handler to to a combobox control in one of
> my
> > projects and VS.Net immediately crashed. I tried undoing the checkouts
for
> > the entire project, but VS.Net crashes when I attempt to open the
> solution.
> > I've tried removing the form entirely from the project, by editing the
> > .csproj file, but that still doesn't help. Other projects, outside the
> > solution, can be opened. Even using VSS, I'm worried that I've lost six
> > months worth of work, even with having taken daily backups and put code
in
> > VSS, and
> > need help recovering from this crash. I have tried restoring backups,
and
> > the solution still crashes.
> > Anyone from MS? Please?

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:13:23 GMT
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
Good point :-) and no worries

Quote:
> (best place to be Randy - less publicity :) Sorry - bad taste and all,
> couldn't resist.

> > Randy at Home, try this to see if you can fix your project.

> > Create a new project of the same type as your broken projcet.  Add all
of
> > the forms and classes into this project and save it.  Don't add the
> combobox
> > form yet.  Build the solution, save and exit.  Reopen VS.Net and make
sure
> > everything is working.  (At this point you could copy your working
> solution
> > to another directory just to be safe)  Now add your broken form and
> compile
> > and save.  Make sure everything works.

> > You could also try copying your solution to another location and then
> > deleting your solution file.  Now try to open the project file.

> > How did you try to add teh event handler, manually or through the
> properties
> > window?  Both should work if done right, just trying to glean some clue
as
> > to what caused this.

> > --
> > Greg
> > http://www.claritycon.com/

> > message

> > > Help! I tried adding an event handler to to a combobox control in one
of
> > my
> > > projects and VS.Net immediately crashed. I tried undoing the checkouts
> for
> > > the entire project, but VS.Net crashes when I attempt to open the
> > solution.
> > > I've tried removing the form entirely from the project, by editing the
> > > .csproj file, but that still doesn't help. Other projects, outside the
> > > solution, can be opened. Even using VSS, I'm worried that I've lost
six
> > > months worth of work, even with having taken daily backups and put
code
> in
> > > VSS, and
> > > need help recovering from this crash. I have tried restoring backups,
> and
> > > the solution still crashes.
> > > Anyone from MS? Please?

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:28:17 GMT
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
Randy, wow, that's a big project you have.  Are you able to reproduce this
with a simple project?  If you can find a simple senario to reproduce, post
the project here and we can all check it out.  The MS people who frequent
the group will check it out as well and determine if there is something that
needs to be fixed in the framework.

--
Greg
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> [...]

> > > Help! I tried adding an event handler to to a combobox control in one
of
> > my
> > > projects and VS.Net immediately crashed. I tried undoing the checkouts
> for
> > > the entire project, but VS.Net crashes when I attempt to open the
> > solution.
> > > I've tried removing the form entirely from the project, by editing the
> > > .csproj file, but that still doesn't help. Other projects, outside the
> > > solution, can be opened. Even using VSS, I'm worried that I've lost
six
> > > months worth of work, even with having taken daily backups and put
code
> in
> > > VSS, and
> > > need help recovering from this crash. I have tried restoring backups,

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:52:36 GMT
 Help! Permanent VS.Net crash assistance needed
I'm working on recreating it. There is definitely something weird with the
MSChart control. When we add one to one of our forms, the OnLoad event
doesn't get caught. When we delete the MSChart control, the OnLoad gets
caught. The problem is that it doesn't happen in small projects. If I get
something definitive, I'll post it.

Quote:
> Randy, wow, that's a big project you have.  Are you able to reproduce this
> with a simple project?  If you can find a simple senario to reproduce,
post
> the project here and we can all check it out.  The MS people who frequent
> the group will check it out as well and determine if there is something
that
> needs to be fixed in the framework.

> --
> Greg
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> message

Quote:
> [...]

> > > Create a new project of the same type as your broken projcet.  Add all
> of
> > > the forms and classes into this project and save it.  Don't add the
> > combobox
> > > form yet.  Build the solution, save and exit.  Reopen VS.Net and make
> sure
> > > everything is working.  (At this point you could copy your working
> > solution
> > > to another directory just to be safe)  Now add your broken form and
> > compile
> > > and save.  Make sure everything works.

> > > You could also try copying your solution to another location and then
> > > deleting your solution file.  Now try to open the project file.

> > > How did you try to add teh event handler, manually or through the
> > properties
> > > window?  Both should work if done right, just trying to glean some

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:05:39 GMT

1. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

2. need help with VS.net beta

3. Annoying VS.NET crash

4. VS.NET crashes when trying to run prog in debug

5. VS.NET crashing

6. How to crash VS6 or VS.NET?!

7. Deployment tool crashes VS.NET if you add a .obj file

8. IEnumUnknown->Next method causes a crash in MFC 7.1 (VS .net 2003)

9. Changes in C# between VS.NET Beta and VS.NET Final versions

10. Permanent .NET development position in Central London, UK

11. VS.NET (final build) CRASH! help needed.

12. i needs the vs.net b2