Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
Author Message
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error

Howdy!

When I delete my project's BIN & OBJ directories (for transporting a project
to someone else), upon recompiling I get the error in the tasks view:

The file 'CoadTools.pdb' cannot be copied to the run directory.  The system
cannot find the file specified.

Shouldn't the "Program Debug" file be regenerated upon compiling?  If I
recreate the "obj\debug" directory and stick an old .pdb file there it works
okay, but shouldn't it be regerated upon compiling?

Thanks!
-Noah Coad

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:03:25 GMT
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
Hi Noah ,

Yes, the PDB files should get regenarate when you rebuild the probject. Do
you have mutiple projects in the solution? Have you tried "Rebuild
Solution". Here are some KB articles you can take a loot at:

PRB: The "Could Not Copy Temporary Files to the Output Directory" Error Is
Generated in Visual Studio .NET (Q311491)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q311/4/91.ASP

PRB: Error Message: The File <File Name> Cannot Be Copied to the Run
Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/0/55.ASP

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:03:25 -0500

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.CSharp

>Howdy!

>When I delete my project's BIN & OBJ directories (for transporting a
project
>to someone else), upon recompiling I get the error in the tasks view:

>The file 'CoadTools.pdb' cannot be copied to the run directory.  The system
>cannot find the file specified.

>Shouldn't the "Program Debug" file be regenerated upon compiling?  If I
>recreate the "obj\debug" directory and stick an old .pdb file there it
works
>okay, but shouldn't it be regerated upon compiling?

>Thanks!
>-Noah Coad

Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:14:25 GMT
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
Felix,

I and others have reported problems that are similar to the one described in
your first link, but where no other app is running that is using the files,
and no other instances of Visual Studio are runnning.  In my case it happens
on a solution with multiple projects where they are dependent upon one
another.  I can close Visual Studio, and bring up the solution again, and it
will still not compile saying the files are in use.  The only way I've found
around it is to close visual studio, remove the obj directory of the project
that it is complaining about, then bring the solution back up again and
compile.  This is a pain.

All of the posts about this on this forum have never been addressed by
anyone from MS.  Can you comment?

Ron

Quote:
> Hi Noah ,

> Yes, the PDB files should get regenarate when you rebuild the probject. Do
> you have mutiple projects in the solution? Have you tried "Rebuild
> Solution". Here are some KB articles you can take a loot at:

> PRB: The "Could Not Copy Temporary Files to the Output Directory" Error Is
> Generated in Visual Studio .NET (Q311491)
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q311/4/91.ASP

> PRB: Error Message: The File <File Name> Cannot Be Copied to the Run
> Directory
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/0/55.ASP

> Hope this helps.

> Regards,

> Felix Wu
> =============
rights.

> --------------------

> >Subject: Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
> >Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:03:25 -0500

> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

> >Howdy!

> >When I delete my project's BIN & OBJ directories (for transporting a
> project
> >to someone else), upon recompiling I get the error in the tasks view:

> >The file 'CoadTools.pdb' cannot be copied to the run directory.  The
system
> >cannot find the file specified.

> >Shouldn't the "Program Debug" file be regenerated upon compiling?  If I
> >recreate the "obj\debug" directory and stick an old .pdb file there it
> works
> >okay, but shouldn't it be regerated upon compiling?

> >Thanks!
> >-Noah Coad

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:08:55 GMT
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
Hi Ron,

According to the historical posts, this problem usually occurs when you
have multiple projects in one solution. What reference type do you use,
assembly reference or project reference? I would like to suggest you use
the latter, do not reference to other projects' output assemblies directly,
use project reference instead.

Also, do all the projects are built into the same output directly? If this
is the case, try to build each project to a different directory instead.
The IDE will copy all dependent assemblies into each project's output
directory when building.

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:08:55 -0500

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

>Felix,

>I and others have reported problems that are similar to the one described
in
>your first link, but where no other app is running that is using the files,
>and no other instances of Visual Studio are runnning.  In my case it
happens
>on a solution with multiple projects where they are dependent upon one
>another.  I can close Visual Studio, and bring up the solution again, and
it
>will still not compile saying the files are in use.  The only way I've
found
>around it is to close visual studio, remove the obj directory of the
project
>that it is complaining about, then bring the solution back up again and
>compile.  This is a pain.

>All of the posts about this on this forum have never been addressed by
>anyone from MS.  Can you comment?

>Ron

>> Hi Noah ,

>> Yes, the PDB files should get regenarate when you rebuild the probject.
Do
>> you have mutiple projects in the solution? Have you tried "Rebuild
>> Solution". Here are some KB articles you can take a loot at:

>> PRB: The "Could Not Copy Temporary Files to the Output Directory" Error
Is
>> Generated in Visual Studio .NET (Q311491)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q311/4/91.ASP

>> PRB: Error Message: The File <File Name> Cannot Be Copied to the Run
>> Directory
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/0/55.ASP

>> Hope this helps.

>> Regards,

>> Felix Wu
>> =============
>rights.

>> --------------------

>> >Subject: Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
>> >Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:03:25 -0500

>> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

>> >Howdy!

>> >When I delete my project's BIN & OBJ directories (for transporting a
>> project
>> >to someone else), upon recompiling I get the error in the tasks view:

>> >The file 'CoadTools.pdb' cannot be copied to the run directory.  The
>system
>> >cannot find the file specified.

>> >Shouldn't the "Program Debug" file be regenerated upon compiling?  If I
>> >recreate the "obj\debug" directory and stick an old .pdb file there it
>> works
>> >okay, but shouldn't it be regerated upon compiling?

>> >Thanks!
>> >-Noah Coad

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:07:47 GMT
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
All of the references to other projects in the same solution are setup as
project references.  They are all set with Copy Local as false.  It doesn't
seem to matter what the ultimate output directory is (either shared or
separate).  Each project has its own intermediate obj directory of course.

The following is the output I'm getting currently, compiling debug.  If I
close the solution, remove the intermediate obj directory for the given
project, then bring the solution back up, it will compile.  If I immediately
try to rebuild that project I get this output.  Nothing else is using these
files, and I have hand checked each file in the obj and bin directories to
see if they somehow had been made read only, and they have not.  Previously
I didn't get this error, but got a message that the files were in use (I may
have been compiling in Release mode at that point).

Felix, thank you so much for even answering my question.  Prior posts have
gone pretty much ignored.

Preparing resources...

Updating references...

Performing main compilation...

Cannot delete the project output: is the file read-only?

A failure occurred while attempting to start the compilation.

Building satellite assemblies...

Quote:
> Hi Ron,

> According to the historical posts, this problem usually occurs when you
> have multiple projects in one solution. What reference type do you use,
> assembly reference or project reference? I would like to suggest you use
> the latter, do not reference to other projects' output assemblies
directly,
> use project reference instead.

> Also, do all the projects are built into the same output directly? If this
> is the case, try to build each project to a different directory instead.
> The IDE will copy all dependent assemblies into each project's output
> directory when building.

> Regards,

> Felix Wu
> =============
rights.

> --------------------

> >Subject: Re: Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
> >Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:08:55 -0500

> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

> >Felix,

> >I and others have reported problems that are similar to the one described
> in
> >your first link, but where no other app is running that is using the
files,
> >and no other instances of Visual Studio are runnning.  In my case it
> happens
> >on a solution with multiple projects where they are dependent upon one
> >another.  I can close Visual Studio, and bring up the solution again, and
> it
> >will still not compile saying the files are in use.  The only way I've
> found
> >around it is to close visual studio, remove the obj directory of the
> project
> >that it is complaining about, then bring the solution back up again and
> >compile.  This is a pain.

> >All of the posts about this on this forum have never been addressed by
> >anyone from MS.  Can you comment?

> >Ron

> >> Hi Noah ,

> >> Yes, the PDB files should get regenarate when you rebuild the probject.
> Do
> >> you have mutiple projects in the solution? Have you tried "Rebuild
> >> Solution". Here are some KB articles you can take a loot at:

> >> PRB: The "Could Not Copy Temporary Files to the Output Directory" Error
> Is
> >> Generated in Visual Studio .NET (Q311491)
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q311/4/91.ASP

> >> PRB: Error Message: The File <File Name> Cannot Be Copied to the Run
> >> Directory
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q305/0/55.ASP

> >> Hope this helps.

> >> Regards,

> >> Felix Wu
> >> =============
> >rights.

> >> --------------------

> >> project

> >system

> >> works

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:30:49 GMT
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
Felix,

In a related thread entitled
"UPDATE : Adding references & the VS.NET assembly "locking" bug"

It looks like someone is making the statement that if your output dll
surpasses 64K it gets locked down when if wouldn't if it were smaller.  I
just reviewed my output dlls, and the one being locked is the only one over
64K.  Why is this a problem?

Ron

Quote:
> [...]

> > in
> > >your first link, but where no other app is running that is using the
> files,
> > >and no other instances of Visual Studio are runnning.  In my case it
> > happens
> > >on a solution with multiple projects where they are dependent upon one
> > >another.  I can close Visual Studio, and bring up the solution again,
and
> > it
> > >will still not compile saying the files are in use.  The only way I've
> > found
> > >around it is to close visual studio, remove the obj directory of the
> > project
> > >that it is complaining about, then bring the solution back up again and
> > >compile.  This is a pain.

> > >All of the posts about this on this forum have never been addressed by

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 05:34:33 GMT
 Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
No object browser open.

I did try to remove the reference to the larger project, then re-establish
it before compiling.  It did work.

Ron

Quote:
> Hi Ron,

> Do you have object browser open when you start compilation? This is a
known
> issue and will be fixed in the upcoming release.

> Also, for every project that references the project whose output dll
> surpasses 64K, delete the reference and add it again before compiling.

> Regards,

> Felix Wu
> =============
rights.

> --------------------

> >Subject: Re: Removing BIN & OBJ Directories - PDB File Error
> >Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:34:33 -0500

> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

> >Felix,

> >In a related thread entitled
> >"UPDATE : Adding references & the VS.NET assembly "locking" bug"

> >It looks like someone is making the statement that if your output dll
> >surpasses 64K it gets locked down when if wouldn't if it were smaller.  I
> >just reviewed my output dlls, and the one being locked is the only one
over
> >64K.  Why is this a problem?

> >Ron

> >> All of the references to other projects in the same solution are setup
as
> >> project references.  They are all set with Copy Local as false.  It
> >doesn't
> >> seem to matter what the ultimate output directory is (either shared or
> >> separate).  Each project has its own intermediate obj directory of
> course.

> >> The following is the output I'm getting currently, compiling debug.  If
> >> close the solution, remove the intermediate obj directory for the given
> >> project, then bring the solution back up, it will compile.  If I
> >immediately
> >> try to rebuild that project I get this output.  Nothing else is using
> >these
> >> files, and I have hand checked each file in the obj and bin directories
> >> see if they somehow had been made read only, and they have not.
> >Previously
> >> I didn't get this error, but got a message that the files were in use
(I
> >may
> >> have been compiling in Release mode at that point).

> >> Felix, thank you so much for even answering my question.  Prior posts
> have
> >> gone pretty much ignored.

> >> Preparing resources...

> >> Updating references...

> >> Performing main compilation...

> >> Cannot delete the project output: is the file read-only?

> >> A failure occurred while attempting to start the compilation.

> >> Building satellite assemblies...

> use
> >> directly,

> >this
> instead.

> >> rights.

> >described
> >> files,
> >and
I've
> and

> >probject.

> >Error

Run

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp:101325

> The

> >If
> >it

Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:05:10 GMT

1. Cannot copy output from obj to bin due to assembly being in use

2. PDB API / COFF and PDB file formats

3. PDB Files & debug info

4. LNK1201 error / PDB files and dependent projects

5. vc40.pdb error , How to recreate pch file

6. WANTED: OBJ & LIB file formats

7. Remove a file from a directory physically

8. remove directory incl.subfolders and files

9. Removing all files from a directory

10. Error LNK1181. Cannot open file link.obj

11. Obj A references Obj B which in turn references Obj A

12. Remove MFC42.PDB?