My .cs files were deleted!? 
Author Message
 My .cs files were deleted!?

I have had a very unhappy and unfortunate experience while using Visual
Studio .net (C# standard edition).  I was in the process of debugging a
program and in the background I tried loading Photoshop.  Photoshop refused
to execute until I was out of debugging mode in .net.  Afterward, all but
one of my .cs files was deleted!  Now I have to start from scratch.  Has
anyone experienced any similar behavior and if there is a way to avoid this
from happening in the future?

Thanks

Bob



Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:57:09 GMT  
 My .cs files were deleted!?
Robert,

Quote:
> I have had a very unhappy and unfortunate experience while using Visual
> Studio .net (C# standard edition).  I was in the process of debugging a
> program and in the background I tried loading Photoshop.  Photoshop
refused
> to execute until I was out of debugging mode in .net.  Afterward, all but
> one of my .cs files was deleted!  Now I have to start from scratch.  Has
> anyone experienced any similar behavior and if there is a way to avoid
this
> from happening in the future?

That has certainly never happened to me. I imagine you are using NTFS as
your file system, right?

Anyway, the best way to minimize problems caused by this is to use a decent
source code control provider. At the very least, you should be able to use
CVS NT, which is free.

--
Tomas Restrepo



Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:54:06 GMT  
 My .cs files were deleted!?

Quote:
>Anyway, the best way to minimize problems caused by this is to use a decent
>source code control provider. At the very least, you should be able to use
>CVS NT, which is free.

I recommend WinCVS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cvsgui

It has a nice Windows interface, and is quite mature. I've used it
professionally in serious projects, and I use it casually at home,
on pet projects and open source efforts. It's all point and click,
although you _will_ have to read a bit to get the hang of what CVS
does.

Cool feature number one. Here is a comment before you checkin/update
a file:

// $Id:$

Here it is after it's checked in and updated:

// $Id: Translator.java,v 1.8 2002/08/22 04:18:45 jkraska Exp $

I even use it for word documents and other things, as it allows me
to easily keep everything synchronized across multiple sites (which
includes work and home, amongst other things).

C//



Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:00:14 GMT  
 My .cs files were deleted!?
It often takes a lesson like this to learn the value of backups.  I don't
mean to be mocking your situation because it is unfortunate, but I can't
stress enough how important it is to keep backups.

Were you developing off a network share that might have nightly backups?


Quote:
> I have had a very unhappy and unfortunate experience while using Visual
> Studio .net (C# standard edition).  I was in the process of debugging a
> program and in the background I tried loading Photoshop.  Photoshop
refused
> to execute until I was out of debugging mode in .net.  Afterward, all but
> one of my .cs files was deleted!  Now I have to start from scratch.  Has
> anyone experienced any similar behavior and if there is a way to avoid
this
> from happening in the future?

> Thanks

> Bob



Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:27:30 GMT  
 My .cs files were deleted!?
As a last resort, you may want to give chkdsk /f a try. By default, Visual
Studio saves files before build, and if your're lucky, the OS buffers would
have been flushed by the time you started Photoshop. There's a remote
possibility that your files may be lying in the file system somewhere, as
lost clusters.


Quote:
> I have had a very unhappy and unfortunate experience while using Visual
> Studio .net (C# standard edition).  I was in the process of debugging a
> program and in the background I tried loading Photoshop.  Photoshop
refused
> to execute until I was out of debugging mode in .net.  Afterward, all but
> one of my .cs files was deleted!  Now I have to start from scratch.  Has
> anyone experienced any similar behavior and if there is a way to avoid
this
> from happening in the future?

> Thanks

> Bob



Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:49:49 GMT  
 My .cs files were deleted!?


Quote:
> As a last resort, you may want to give chkdsk /f a try. By default, Visual
> Studio saves files before build, and if your're lucky, the OS buffers
would
> have been flushed by the time you started Photoshop. There's a remote
> possibility that your files may be lying in the file system somewhere, as
> lost clusters.

There are also a few freeware/shareware file recovery programs
that run on NTFS. Check CNet, WinFiles, SimTel, all the usual
places.


Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:41:22 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Newbie: separate big .cs file into small .cs files

2. resx files needed for cs - files ??

3. CS files display in VS6 like CPP files ?

4. Include code in other Cs files

5. Reuse of cs files, namespace, arch advice pls

6. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime

7. Two CS files (using namespaces)

8. manipulating server controls in the Codebehind .cs file

9. *.~cs files

10. Custom Class.cs default file

11. Printing .cs files

12. File format at ftp.cs.su.oz.au

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software