How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?
Author Message
 How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?

Hi:

Say, if my C# app wants to let users choose the host (inside the local
network) they are connecting to from a DropDown Box, how can I retrieve
the local hostnames or IPs from the DNS (maybe by giving it a local IP
and subnet mask??)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Patrick.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:13:30 GMT
 How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?
Check out the Dns class :)

--

Sincerely,

Josh Mitts

www.treasureonthenet.com/josh

Hi:

Say, if my C# app wants to let users choose the host (inside the local
network) they are connecting to from a DropDown Box, how can I retrieve
the local hostnames or IPs from the DNS (maybe by giving it a local IP
and subnet mask??)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Patrick.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:24:45 GMT
 How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?
I did check it out, but don't see anything that might retrieve "all" the
local hostnames.  It contains something (GetHostByName or GetHostByAddress)
that retrieve one hostname when being passed in an IP or vice versa .....

Am I missing something there?

Thanks again in advance,

Patrick.

Quote:

> Check out the Dns class :)

> --

> Sincerely,

> Josh Mitts

> www.treasureonthenet.com/josh

> Hi:

> Say, if my C# app wants to let users choose the host (inside the local
> network) they are connecting to from a DropDown Box, how can I retrieve
> the local hostnames or IPs from the DNS (maybe by giving it a local IP
> and subnet mask??)?

> Thanks a lot in advance,

> Patrick.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:16:05 GMT
 How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?
Oh you mean the local host name of the machine? Just do Dns.Resolve("127.0.0.1") to get localhost, or Dns.Resolve("internet.ip") to get all the domains for it :).

--

Sincerely,

Josh Mitts

www.treasureonthenet.com/josh

I did check it out, but don't see anything that might retrieve "all" the
local hostnames.  It contains something (GetHostByName or GetHostByAddress)
that retrieve one hostname when being passed in an IP or vice versa .....

Am I missing something there?

Thanks again in advance,

Patrick.

Quote:

> Check out the Dns class :)

> --

> Sincerely,

> Josh Mitts

> www.treasureonthenet.com/josh

> Hi:

> Say, if my C# app wants to let users choose the host (inside the local
> network) they are connecting to from a DropDown Box, how can I retrieve
> the local hostnames or IPs from the DNS (maybe by giving it a local IP
> and subnet mask??)?

> Thanks a lot in advance,

> Patrick.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:16:06 GMT
 How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?
Yeah. Dns.Resolve("internet.ip") sounds like what I need.  i will try that out tonight.

Thanks very much,

Patrick.

Quote:

> Oh you mean the local host name of the machine? Just do Dns.Resolve("127.0.0.1") to get localhost, or Dns.Resolve("internet.ip") to get all the domains for it :).

> --

> Sincerely,

> Josh Mitts

> www.treasureonthenet.com/josh

> I did check it out, but don't see anything that might retrieve "all" the
> local hostnames.  It contains something (GetHostByName or GetHostByAddress)
> that retrieve one hostname when being passed in an IP or vice versa .....

> Am I missing something there?

> Thanks again in advance,

> Patrick.

> > Check out the Dns class :)

> > --

> > Sincerely,

> > Josh Mitts

> > www.treasureonthenet.com/josh

> > Hi:

> > Say, if my C# app wants to let users choose the host (inside the local
> > network) they are connecting to from a DropDown Box, how can I retrieve
> > the local hostnames or IPs from the DNS (maybe by giving it a local IP
> > and subnet mask??)?

> > Thanks a lot in advance,

> > Patrick.

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:46:30 GMT
 How can I get all the local hostnames (or IPs) in the DNS?

Quote:
> Say, if my C# app wants to let users choose the host (inside the local
> network) they are connecting to from a DropDown Box, how can I retrieve
> the local hostnames or IPs from the DNS (maybe by giving it a local IP
> and subnet mask??)?

Do you want to get the IP/HOSTNAME for the local machine?  Keep in mind
there could be multiple network cards in the machine each having their own
identity.  You mention "local network".  Do you want to resolve the host
name from IP similar to the winsock gethostbyaddr() function?

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:40:19 GMT

1. ip anf hostname from DNS server

2. Local & Regular IPs

3. Get local DNS server name or IP...

4. IP/DNS of local machine

5. Get the local DNS server name or IP

6. getting reliable hostname info

7. Getting Hostnames from Server

8. Resolve DNS name from IP address (reverse DNS lookup)

9. Resolve DNS name from IP address (reverse DNS lookup)

10. Getting MX records from Dns server

11. Getting all the computer on the local network.

12. Getting Local IP address