Adding Help to a Windows Forms App
Author Message
 Adding Help to a Windows Forms App

Hi,

I am having dificulty using the Help in a Windows Forms application. I am
actually using VB, but I'm sure the same issues apply to C#.

Please reply if you can answer any of these questions. I have had no luck in
other dotnet newsgroups.

- Using Help.ShowHelp, the HTML Help window is always on top. Can I suppress
this feature, so that the user can switch back and forth between Help and
the Application itself?

- I have defined a HelpProvider object in my main form and specified the
path
to my help file. Do I have to do this in every form which provides help? I
don't mind adding the HelpProvider object, but I would like to specify the
name of the help file at a central point in the program.

- Although the help file is specified in a HelpProvider object, my setup
project hasn't detected it as a dependency which must be added to the msi
package. Do I have to add the help file to the setup project by hand?

- What's the best way to specify the path to the help file, so that it will
be
found on the target machine after installation? Should I copy the HTML help
file to the project's bin directory and specify the filename without any
path?

Lastly, in VB6 I used to specify a map-id from the HTML Help file in each
form. This was passed along the HTML Help to select the correct topic in the
help file. Alternativly, it was possible to supply it as a parameter to the
HtmlHelp function. Does anybody have a clue how to do this in .NET?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help,
Phil

Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:01:59 GMT
 Adding Help to a Windows Forms App
Hello Phil,

The HelpProvider class replaces the function of the HelpContextID. You can
create a HelpProvider and then specify the association between the control
and the topic. You can do it by using SetHelpNavigator, SetHelpKeyword and
SetHelpString methods. For the detailed information about the HelpProvider
class please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpre...
frlrfSystemWindowsFormsHelpProviderClassTopic.asp

You also can learn more differences between Visual Basic 6.0 and .NET
controls by click this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndo...
ml/actxvnetcontrols.asp

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Lion Shi, MCSE, MCSD
Microsoft Support Engineer

You assume all risk for your use.  2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
--------------------

    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
    Subject: Adding Help to a Windows Forms App
    Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:01:59 +0200

19:01:47

[...]

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:27:27 GMT

1. How to Add another form to Enroll app sample

2. Adding Timer Control to Windows Form???????

3. Adding forms under windows 2000

4. Adding forms under windows 2000

5. How to Add Resources to Windows Forms

6. How to disable adding, inserting ord deleting Rows in the DataGrid (System.Windows.Forms.DataGrid)

7. Deploying .net windows form apps to the web?

8. parenting a Windows (.NET) Form properly in an MFC APP

9. Windows App Startup Form

10. Web control in windows forms app

11. Include IExplorer into a Windows.Forms App

12. Send mail from windows forms app.