Ruby/DICT 0.9.0
Author Message
 Ruby/DICT 0.9.0

Hi,

This is to announce Ruby/DICT.

Ruby/DICT is an RFC 2229 compliant client-side library implementation
of the DICT protocol. It can be used to write clients that access
dictionary definitions from a set of natural language dictionary
databases.

In the words of the RFC:

   The DICT protocol is designed to provide access to multiple
   databases.  Word definitions can be requested, the word index can
   be searched (using an easily extended set of algorithms),
   information about the server can be provided (e.g., which index
   search strategies are supported, or which databases are available),
   and information about a database can be provided (e.g., copyright,
   citation, or distribution information).  Further, the DICT protocol
   has hooks that can be used to restrict access to some or all of the
   databases.

In addition, rdict, a command-line based dictionary client built on
Ruby/DICT, is included in the archive.

For more information, please see:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Although this is the first public release of Ruby/DICT, the
implementation is fairly complete, so I'm optimistically setting the
version at 0.9.0. I expect only minor updates to the code as it heads
toward its 1.0.0 release.

Please send me e-mail concerning bugs, code improvements, suggestions
for features, etc.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | I had to hit him -- he was starting to make

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:41:13 GMT
 Ruby/DICT 0.9.0

Quote:

>Hi,

>This is to announce Ruby/DICT.

Interesting: (I hope matz won't be forced to change ruby's name <g>):

 From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (09 FEB 02) [foldoc]:

  Ruby

     1. A {relational language} designed by Jones and M. Sheeran in
     1986 for describing and designing circuits (a {hardware
     description language}).  Ruby programs denote {binary
     relation}s and programs are built-up inductively from
     primitive relations using a pre-defined set of {relational
     operator}s.  Ruby programs also have a geometric
     interpretation as networks of primitive relations connected by
     wires, which is important when layout is considered in circuit
     design.

     Ruby has been continually developed since 1986, and has been
     used to design many different kinds of circuits, including
     {systolic array}s, {butterfly network}s and arithmetic
     circuits.

     {(ftp://ftp.cs.chalmers.se/pub/misc/ruby/)} (129.16.225.66).

     ["Ruby - A Language of Relations and Higher-Order Functions",
     M. Sheeran, Proc 3rd Banff Workshop on Hardware Verification,
     Springer 1990].

     (1994-10-27)

     2. One of five pedagogical languages based on {Markov
     algorithm}s, used in Higman's report (below).  The other
     languages are {Brilliant}, {Diamond}, {Nonpareil} and {Pearl}.

     ["Nonpareil, a Machine Level Machine Independent Language for
     the Study of Semantics", B. Higman, ULICS Intl Report No ICSI
     170, U London (1968)].

     (1994-10-27)

====

The ruby we all know and love doesn't shop up at all !

Cheers,

Han Holl

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 03:21:53 GMT
 Ruby/DICT 0.9.0

Quote:

> >Hi,

> >This is to announce Ruby/DICT.

> Interesting: (I hope matz won't be forced to change ruby's name <g>):

> From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (09 FEB 02) [foldoc]:

>  Ruby

>     1. A {relational language} designed by Jones and M. Sheeran in
>     1986 for describing and designing circuits (a {hardware
>     description language}).  Ruby programs denote {binary
>     relation}s and programs are built-up inductively from
>     primitive relations using a pre-defined set of {relational
>     operator}s.  Ruby programs also have a geometric
>     interpretation as networks of primitive relations connected by
>     wires, which is important when layout is considered in circuit
>     design.

Hmm. Well, I'm not responsible for the various dictionaries
themselves, or I would take the liberty of changingt this :-)

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Whenever people agree with me I always feel

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:44:18 GMT

1. dict ruby # :-)

2. expanding a list and dict to a *args and **dict

3. Dict can't update with dict-like objects

4. NewBuiltins: added dict() -- inverse of dict.items()

5. Builtin dict should be callable, since a dict defines a funct ion

6. Builtin dict should be callable, since a dict defines a function

7. Dict to String and String to Dict with Visual Works

8. pthread trouble with ruby-opengl on FreeBSD (was: Re: [announcement] Ruby 3D Ruby)

9. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

10. Tcl8.5: [string map $dict ...] and ordering inside $dict

11. Dict. to String and String to Dict. with Visual Works

12. Edit in place and dict rules