Problems installing cvs ruby to user dir
Author Message
 Problems installing cvs ruby to user dir

Hi,
I am trying to install cvs ruby 1.8 to my home directory. I configure
with --prefix=/home/jimbob, and all compiles well, and begins to install
just fine, with the binaries going to ~/bin, the core modules to ~/lib,
etc.

However, when the install gets to the modules in the ext/ dir, it begins
trying to install these to /usr/local/lib/ruby/. This, of course, fails
when I am running as a normal user.

I can make even this part of the install succeed by doing "make
DESTDIR=/home/jimbob install", but this seems a little bit of a kludge,
since the ext/ modules then end up in ~/usr/local/lib/ruby/(etc,etc). It
seems there should be a way to force them into the ~/lib with the "core"
modules. Any advice?

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:02:10 GMT
 Problems installing cvs ruby to user dir

Quote:

> However, when the install gets to the modules in the ext/ dir, it begins
> trying to install these to /usr/local/lib/ruby/. This, of course, fails
> when I am running as a normal user.

Sound's like you have another ruby interpreter installed in
/usr/local/bin, and this interpreter executes the extconf.rb scripts in
your sources.

Throwing /usr/local/bin out of your PATH while building the new ruby might
help.

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:48:28 GMT
 Problems installing cvs ruby to user dir
In article

Quote:

> Throwing /usr/local/bin out of your PATH while building the new ruby might
> help.

Thanks for the reply. I have figured out what my problem was. At some
point in the past, I guess I had configured with prefix=/usr/local . It
turns out that the Makefiles in ext/ don't get updated with new
configures, because they are created on the fly during "make" (and
therefore will only be created once). I deleted them, did "make" again,
and they are now correct. If I had simply wiped out my local cvs and
checked it out again, I would've figured this out much sooner, I think.

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:06:43 GMT

1. ruby-cvs CVS history interface

2. Anonymous CVS access to cvs.ruby-lang.org

3. SOAP4R: problem with installing cvs version

4. Problems installing cvs / errno?

5. Problem with cvs version of ruby 1.6.7

6. Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem

7. Problems installing FX/Ruby

8. Ruby/Qt2 install problem

9. Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !

10. Problem in Installing Windows Ruby 1.6.3

11. ruby 1.6 install problem on AIX and HP (PR#59)

12. ImportError with extensions in python2.1 installed in home dir