SuperNews doesn't/won't carry comp.lang.ruby
Author Message

Albert Wagner writes:
> For what it's worth, my ISP just told me that SuperNews has refused to
> update their list.  Perhaps your ISP should be encouraged to cancel or
> not renew their subscription to Supernews.  Does anyone know of a free
> news service?

> >     >> Am I the only one left out in the cold??  My ISP uses
> >     >> SuperNews (www.supernews.com) which is apparently not quite
> >     >> up to speed...
> >     >================
> >     >No. I'm on supernews also.  I sent multiple emails to my ISP's
sales and

> >     >avail.  I don't know what to do next.

> > Hammer them.  I received an email from supernews asking if
> > 'fj.comp.lang.ruby' was what I was looking for, and I politely
> > replied that no, that was not it, and oh-by-the-way deja.com
> > has the news group as does the rest of the civilized world.  Then
> > I forwarded them a copy of the control message.

> > I haven't heard back yet, but please -- anyone else whose ISP
> > uses SuperNews (also known as Remarq) please send an e-mail to

I don't have time to pursue this at the moment, but here is how I would
start out if I did.

The first thing is make this public (which I expect this reply will do now
that the comp.lang.ruby gateway is operational). Then I would forward that
posting to news.groups with an added inquiry about whether new newsgroups
have experienced this problem and what they have done about it. Also,
someone could look up the more recent new newsgroups on deja.com under
news.announce.newgroups and post similar inquiries directly to them (perhaps
cross posted to comp.lang.ruby).

I would also search deja.com and google.com for SuperNews and see if any
useful information turns up.

If your ISP will let you take a look at their contract with SuperNews, you
might want to read the fine print to see if there is any obligation to
remain current or whatever.

HTH,
Conrad

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SuperNews doesn't/won't carry comp.lang.ruby
This is vey odd.  I recently (last week) subscribed to Supernews
as my ISP's news is updated so slowly (and yet here I am not
using Supernews).   Once I realized they did not have comp.lang.ruby
I used their support page to contact them.

They responded very quickly and courteously.  I was told ruby would
be added by Friday.  Now, to be fair, it is still Friday.  But, Supernews
still is not carrying comp.lang.ruby.

maker

| Hi,

Quote:
| Albert Wagner writes:

| > For what it's worth, my ISP just told me that SuperNews has refused to
| > update their list.  Perhaps your ISP should be encouraged to cancel or
| > not renew their subscription to Supernews.  Does anyone know of a free
| > news service?
| >

| > >     >> Am I the only one left out in the cold??  My ISP uses
| > >     >> SuperNews (www.supernews.com) which is apparently not quite
| > >     >> up to speed...
| > >     >================
| > >     >No. I'm on supernews also.  I sent multiple emails to my ISP's
| sales and

no
| > >     >avail.  I don't know what to do next.
| > >
| > > Hammer them.  I received an email from supernews asking if
| > > 'fj.comp.lang.ruby' was what I was looking for, and I politely
| > > replied that no, that was not it, and oh-by-the-way deja.com
| > > has the news group as does the rest of the civilized world.  Then
| > > I forwarded them a copy of the control message.
| > >
| > > I haven't heard back yet, but please -- anyone else whose ISP
| > > uses SuperNews (also known as Remarq) please send an e-mail to

| I don't have time to pursue this at the moment, but here is how I would
| start out if I did.
|
| The first thing is make this public (which I expect this reply will do now
| that the comp.lang.ruby gateway is operational). Then I would forward that
| posting to news.groups with an added inquiry about whether new newsgroups
| have experienced this problem and what they have done about it. Also,
| someone could look up the more recent new newsgroups on deja.com under
| news.announce.newgroups and post similar inquiries directly to them
(perhaps
| cross posted to comp.lang.ruby).
|
| I would also search deja.com and google.com for SuperNews and see if any
| useful information turns up.
|
| If your ISP will let you take a look at their contract with SuperNews, you
| might want to read the fine print to see if there is any obligation to
| remain current or whatever.
|
| HTH,
| Conrad

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. SuperNews doesn't/won't carry comp.lang.ruby

2. comp.lang.ruby now on SuperNews

3. Not seeing today's ruby-talk ML items on comp.lang.ruby

4. RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

5. Ruby/Glade doesn't work with Ruby 1.6.1

6. Anyone want 'comp.lang.parallel-c'?

7. tkdesk on fedora core 5 -- doesn't run, doesn't compile

8. BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

9. HTML Help Demo Doesn't Work With Win NT

10. wm deiconify $win doesn't raise at the same time

11. ruby -n -e doesn't find things ...

12. irb works, ruby doesn't...