Windows Automation
Author Message
 Windows Automation

NIIT Software Solutions bags "Outsourcing Contract of the Year" award from
the Financial Times publication, The Banker. For details visit our website
http://www.*-*-*.com/
___________________NOTICE____________________________
This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT When addressed to NIIT
clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions in the governing client contract.

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:58:48 GMT
 Windows Automation

Hi

The Pragmatic Programmers guide talks about creating charts thru
Excel..........It says" -4100 is the value for the Excel constant
xl3DColumn".........How can u get the values for other Excel
constants..........for creating diff kinds of charts
Regds
Suresh

.
.

http://www.niit.com
___________________NOTICE____________________________
This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT When addressed to NIIT
clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions in the governing client contract.

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:04:10 GMT
 Windows Automation

The "easy way" (which almost always works):
search with google
<http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=xl3DColumn+const+excel>
(http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=xl3DColumn+const+excel).
Yields for example:
   <http://searchdomino.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid4_gci489446,00.html>
http://searchdomino.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid4_gci489446,00.html

The "not so easy way":
Take Pythons COM module and generate the Python-Excel-binding from the
excel-typelib (using "genpy.py"). Then read the {.........}.py files. If you
you have python installed it is quite easy. ;-)

Clemens

<http://www.niit.com> http://www.niit.com

___________________NOTICE____________________________
This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT When addressed to NIIT
clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions in the governing client contract.

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:08:04 GMT
 Windows Automation

Quote:
> Hi

> The Pragmatic Programmers guide talks about creating charts thru
> Excel..........It says" -4100 is the value for the Excel constant
> xl3DColumn".........How can u get the values for other Excel
> constants..........for creating diff kinds of charts
> Regds
> Suresh

My Windows skills are a little rusty, but you should be able to get the
constant definitions via the VBA documentation for Excel (the docs that
a VBA/Excel programmer would use).  Now, to get the actual values for
the definitions, you'd probably have to write a VBA script (in Excel,
for example) to print out the constants that interest you.

HTH

=====
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 03:58:38 GMT
 Windows Automation

Quote:

> > Hi

> > The Pragmatic Programmers guide talks about creating charts thru
> > Excel..........It says" -4100 is the value for the Excel constant
> > xl3DColumn".........How can u get the values for other Excel
> > constants..........for creating diff kinds of charts
> > Regds
> > Suresh

> My Windows skills are a little rusty, but you should be able to get the
> constant definitions via the VBA documentation for Excel (the docs that
> a VBA/Excel programmer would use).  Now, to get the actual values for
> the definitions, you'd probably have to write a VBA script (in Excel,
> for example) to print out the constants that interest you.

You can get the symbolic constant values from WIN32OLE in ruby. Try this:

require 'win32ole'
module EXCEL_CONST
end
WIN32OLE.const_load(xls,EXCEL_CONST) #load constants into namespace
p EXCEL_CONST.constants
#...
#usage example ...Get a worksheet and save it as CSV, e.g....
sheet.SaveAs(dest,EXCEL_CONST::XlCSV)
#...

HTH,
PAH

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 08:47:55 GMT
 Windows Automation

Quote:
> > The Pragmatic Programmers guide talks about creating charts thru
> > Excel..........It says" -4100 is the value for the Excel constant
> > xl3DColumn".........How can u get the values for other Excel
> > constants..........for creating diff kinds of charts
> > Regds
> > Suresh

To get constants out of win32ole for excel, try:

require 'win32ole'
#lifted from my (one day to be published, maybe) rexcel package

module EXCEL_CONST
        def show_constants
        EXCEL_CONST.constants.sort.each do |c|
                        puts "#{c} = #{EXCEL_CONST.const_get(c)}"
        end
        end
end

if __FILE__ == $0
        app = WIN32OLE.new('Excel.Application')
        WIN32OLE.const_load(app, EXCEL_CONST)
        EXCEL_CONST.show_constants
end

This should produce a god awful long list. Try sticking a grep in
show_constants to look for, say, "3D". The following snippet shows how to
use the module constants:

def get_column()

(EXCEL_CONST.const_get('XlDown')))
end

HTH,
David Naseby

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:42:33 GMT

1. Windows Automation

2. Recall: Windows Automation

3. Automation Open and Automation Close (Excel)

4. Windows Media Player Automation

5. IE OLE automation and multiple windows

6. Windows: COM Automation problem with german VB localisation

7. Handling automation events in an Intel Visual Fortran Windows application

8. Windows, TCL and Lab automation

9. Automation - dumb question

10. DocumentShell>>fileSave needs ActiveX Automation

11. Rational Rose OLE Automation problem

12. Excel automation problem