Cardinal project page on Savannah
Author Message
 Cardinal project page on Savannah

I started a Cardinal project page at Savannah.  Those who are interested
in following Cardinal development should sign up for the cardinal-dev
mailing list there.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

For those not familiar with Savannah:  It's similar to sourceforge.net; we
get a cvs repository, mailing list(s), project task management, etc.

Phil

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:13:43 GMT
 Cardinal project page on Savannah

Quote:

> I started a Cardinal project page at Savannah.  Those who are interested
> in following Cardinal development should sign up for the cardinal-dev
> mailing list there.

> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/cardinal/

That's great, thanks for taking this and running with it.  I'll see you
on the cardinal-dev list.

-pate

Quote:

> For those not familiar with Savannah:  It's similar to sourceforge.net; we
> get a cvs repository, mailing list(s), project task management, etc.

> Phil

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:03:45 GMT
 Cardinal project page on Savannah

Quote:
> I started a Cardinal project page at Savannah.  Those who are
> interested in following Cardinal development should sign up for
> the cardinal-dev mailing list there.

> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/cardinal/

I checked out the URL.  It said 'The purpose of the Cardinal
project is to create a Ruby frontend for Parrot.'.

So, the obvious question is, what is Parrot, and what is it for?

Cheers,
     Euan

'I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance,
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance'
 - Ogden Nash

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:11:09 GMT
 Cardinal project page on Savannah

Quote:

> > I started a Cardinal project page at Savannah.  Those who are
> > interested in following Cardinal development should sign up for
> > the cardinal-dev mailing list there.

> > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/cardinal/

> I checked out the URL.  It said 'The purpose of the Cardinal
> project is to create a Ruby frontend for Parrot.'.

> So, the obvious question is, what is Parrot, and what is it for?

Parrot is the VM for Perl6.  It is being designed with other languages
(mainly python and ruby) in mind.  Right now it is significantly faster
than perl for the things it is capable of.  Dan Sugalski (the project
leader) feels that it will continue to be much faster than perl.

Getting ruby to work on Parrot would do a couple of things:

1) be *really* cool
2) possibly achieve better performance
3) possibly pave the way for moving ruby to other back-ends
4) give a lot of people the chance to learn more about ruby by playing
   deep inside its guts.

you may want to look at http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?CardinalProject for
more information.

-pate

ps, I'm sure you'll get other, more detailed answers shortly ;)

Quote:

> Cheers,
>      Euan

> 'I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance,
> Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance'
>  - Ogden Nash

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:11:10 GMT
 Cardinal project page on Savannah

Quote:

> > I started a Cardinal project page at Savannah.  Those who are
> > interested in following Cardinal development should sign up for
> > the cardinal-dev mailing list there.

> > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/cardinal/

> I checked out the URL.  It said 'The purpose of the Cardinal
> project is to create a Ruby frontend for Parrot.'.

> So, the obvious question is, what is Parrot, and what is it for?

Parrot is the Virtual Machine being developed for Perl6.  The Parrot folks
are designing a rather sophisticated registered (as opposed to stack
based) VM that promises to deliver much higher performace than the current
Perl VM - in fact Dan Sugalski reports up to a 5x performance boost over
the current PerlVM.  Parrot is also designed to make it easy to plug in
other frontend languages besides Perl.  So Cardinal's goal is to produce a
Ruby frontend for Parrot.  By doing this we get three big wins:
1) A performance boost over the current implemenation of Ruby: Sure there
are some different projects out there for producing a VM for Ruby, but so
far there doesn't seem to be much going on.  Ruby is
going to fall behind in the performance department if we don't do
something.  The Parrot folks are already working on their
high-performance VM so why not use it?
2) We'll get to access Perl's vast CPAN libraries from Ruby.
3) Perl is installed everywhere.  Chances are that Perl6 will eventually
be installed everywhere.  Ruby is not currently installed everywhere so
when people want to use Ruby for various web uses they have to find a host
that runs Ruby (which isn't always easy to do).  Cardinal could vastly
increase Ruby's installed base.

 For more info, see: http://parrotcode.org

Phil

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:01:00 GMT
 Cardinal project page on Savannah
In article

Quote:
> 3) possibly pave the way for moving ruby to other back-ends

This, I think, could be ne of the best benefits of Parrot.  Once Ruby
can be compiled down to Parrot bytecode, as far as I can see, it stops
being a matter of Ruby at all.  If PBC(Parrot Bytecode) can be
translated into Java bytecode, or .NET's IL, then by having Ruby running
on Parrot, we automatically get JVM and .NET compatibility.

The other great potential for Parrot, IMHO, lies with embedded
platforms.  If Parrot can be run on something like a Palm, or PocketPC
machine, there will no longer be a need for each(Perl, Python, Ruby,
Tcl, etc.) language to have its own interpreter and run-time
environment.  Just compile and assemble it to PBC, and that file and the
Parrot VM are all you need.

Of course, this will also be of benefit to folks looking to embed one of
those languages inside a compiled applcation of some sort.

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:57:43 GMT

1. AS/GAS user pages and mailing list now at savannah

2. AS/GAS user pages and mailing list now at savannah

3. Cardinal - project looking for a leader

4. Project Proposal: Cardinal: Ruby frontend for Parrot

5. WebForth - A report on the Forth On-Line Web page project

6. LOGO-L> New Web page project

7. The ML Server Pages project

8. ZODB development page & SourceForge project

9. Sourceforge vs. Savannah

10. Project proposal page at Wiki? (VTK)

11. - sourceforge + savannah (?)

12. DS-OS Project Page Updated