distributing a bit of Ruby
Author Message
 distributing a bit of Ruby

Hello

I use Ruby Version 1.6.7 (2002-03-01) [i586-mswin32]
on Windows Me.

I have a non-graphical Ruby application that uses
rubyw.exe. I want to distribute the app to Windows
users who don't have Ruby installed.

Setting Exerb and Rb2exe aside, I've whittled
down a copy of the Ruby base installation to
include only the files and libraries my application
needs.

As a test, I copied the application and the whittled copy
of Ruby to a floppy, uninstalled Ruby, restarted my machine,
and ran the application from the A drive. No problem.
Everything worked fine.

However, A friend tried to run the application from the A drive,
and the Desktop, of her Windows 98 SE machine but nothing
happened. No error messages; No activity from the application;
Nothing. I profiled rubyw.exe using Dependency Walker, and I am
assured that all of the required Windows/System DLLs are present
on the Windows 98 SE machine.

Might the problem have to do with the version of one or
more of the Windows/System  DLLs on the target machine?
Perhaps MSVCRT.DLL or another redistributable. I can't
verify this for myself; My friend won't let me!

Thank you for any suggestion or insight.

GZ

My Whittled Ruby Installation includes the
following folders

ruby
ruby\bin
ruby\lib
ruby\lib\ruby
ruby\lib\ruby\1.6
ruby\lib\ruby\1.6\net
ruby\lib\ruby\1.6\i586-mswin32
ruby\lib\ruby\1.6\i586-mswin32\digest

And these files

mswin32-ruby16.dll
rubyw.exe
md5.rb
thread.rb
timeout.rb
digest.so
socket.so
md5.so
ftp.rb
http.rb
imap.rb
pop.rb
protocol.rb
smtp.rb
telnet.rb

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:25:06 GMT

1. Distributed Ruby

2. Problems distributing my Ruby/Qt application

3. Distribute a Ruby program

4. Distribute Ruby programs

5. Distributed Ruby and heterogeneous networks

6. distributed ruby

7. Division 32-Bit/32-Bit with 16-Bit Register

8. Another bit of Ruby artwork

9. 64 bit Ruby successfully compiled under AIX 4.3

10. 64-bit Ruby under AIX 4.3

11. 64 bit ruby under aix 4.3

12. 64-bit ruby