ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available
Author Message
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

I am pleased to announce the latest release of FXRuby, the Ruby language
bindings for the FOX GUI toolkit. FOX is a C++-based toolkit for developing
graphical user interfaces easily and effectively. It offers a wide, and
growing, collection of widgets, and provides state-of-the-art facilities
such as drag-and-drop, selection, as well as OpenGL widgets for 3-D
graphical manipulation. FOX also implements icons, images, and
user-convenience features such as status line help and tooltips.

Please see the comments on the home page concerning any problems with this
release, or the change log to see what has changed since the previous
release.

The FXRuby home page is here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

and the source tarball can be downloaded here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

A binary installer for Windows, compatible with the mswin32-based versions
of Ruby 1.6.x for Windows, is available for download here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

and a Linux RPM (for Ruby 1.6) is available for download here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Note that this release of FXRuby depends on FOX version 1.0.0 (or later),
which
can be downloaded from the FOX downloads page here:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Please feel free to send me any questions or comments, and watch this space
for future announcements!

Lyle

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:43:16 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available
Lyle,

First, thank you for your constant efforts to improve this already great
library!

Question: Since many developers out there in Ruby-land are using 1.7.x
of Ruby, would it be possible to have binary builds of 1.7 mswin32 and
1.7 Linux in addition to the 1.6 versions?  It just makes it easier to
not have to download and build Fox, FXRuby, etc.

Thanks again,

Rich Kilmer

> I am pleased to announce the latest release of FXRuby, the Ruby
language
> bindings for the FOX GUI toolkit. FOX is a C++-based toolkit for
> developing
> graphical user interfaces easily and effectively. It offers a wide,
and
> growing, collection of widgets, and provides state-of-the-art
facilities
> such as drag-and-drop, selection, as well as OpenGL widgets for 3-D
> graphical manipulation. FOX also implements icons, images, and
> user-convenience features such as status line help and tooltips.

> Please see the comments on the home page concerning any problems with
this
> release, or the change log to see what has changed since the previous
> release.

> The FXRuby home page is here:

>     http://www.fxruby.org

> and the source tarball can be downloaded here:

>     http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fxruby/FXRuby-1.0.10.tar.gz

> A binary installer for Windows, compatible with the mswin32-based
versions
> of Ruby 1.6.x for Windows, is available for download here:

>     http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fxruby/FXRuby-1.0.10-win32.exe

> and a Linux RPM (for Ruby 1.6) is available for download here:

>     http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fxruby/FXRuby-1.0.10-1.i386.rpm

> Note that this release of FXRuby depends on FOX version 1.0.0 (or
later),
> which
> can be downloaded from the FOX downloads page here:

>     http://www.fox-toolkit.org/downloads.html

> Please feel free to send me any questions or comments, and watch this
> space
> for future announcements!

> Lyle

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 00:45:33 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

Quote:
> Note that this release of FXRuby depends on FOX version 1.0.0 (or later),
which
> can be downloaded from the FOX downloads page here:

>     http://www.fox-toolkit.org/downloads.html

That URL should read:

    http://www.fox-toolkit.org/download.html

Sorry for the typo,

Lyle

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 02:18:43 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

Quote:
> Question: Since many developers out there in Ruby-land are using 1.7.x
> of Ruby, would it be possible to have binary builds of 1.7 mswin32 and
> 1.7 Linux in addition to the 1.6 versions?  It just makes it easier to
> not have to download and build Fox, FXRuby, etc.

OK, I just uploaded a Windows installer for Ruby 1.7 (CVS version) as well:

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fxruby/FXRuby-1.0.10-win32-ruby17.exe

I can probably do the same for Linux but it will need to wait until
tomorrow.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

P.S. (Rich already knows this) these binary releases have the FXScintilla
support built in. For what it's worth, you can play around with the
scintilla-test.rb example program to see what's there.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 02:21:52 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available
Thank you VERY much!

-rich

> > Question: Since many developers out there in Ruby-land are using
1.7.x
> > of Ruby, would it be possible to have binary builds of 1.7 mswin32
and
> > 1.7 Linux in addition to the 1.6 versions?  It just makes it easier
> > not have to download and build Fox, FXRuby, etc.

> OK, I just uploaded a Windows installer for Ruby 1.7 (CVS version) as
> well:

>     http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fxruby/FXRuby-1.0.10-win32-
> ruby17.exe

> I can probably do the same for Linux but it will need to wait until
> tomorrow.

> Hope this helps,

> Lyle

> P.S. (Rich already knows this) these binary releases have the
FXScintilla
> support built in. For what it's worth, you can play around with the
> scintilla-test.rb example program to see what's there.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:32:53 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

Seems to have fixed a toolbar dragging crash in 1.0.3. Thanks!

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 05:38:29 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

Quote:
> > Question: Since many developers out there in Ruby-land are using 1.7.x
> > of Ruby, would it be possible to have binary builds of 1.7 mswin32 and
> > 1.7 Linux in addition to the 1.6 versions?  It just makes it easier to
> > not have to download and build Fox, FXRuby, etc.

> OK, I just uploaded a Windows installer for Ruby 1.7 (CVS
> version) as well:

> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fxruby/FXRuby-1.0.10-win32-ruby17.exe

> I can probably do the same for Linux but it will need to wait until
> tomorrow.

> Hope this helps,

> Lyle

Was a Linux binary for Ruby 1.7 made available? I'm trying to install from
source, and get this error when running install.rb setup:

install.rb: entering setup phase...
---> lib
---> lib/fox
<--- lib/fox
<--- lib
---> ext
---> ext/fox
make
install.rb:397: warning: Unsecure world writeable dir
/usr/local/development , mode 040777
g++ -fPIC -g -O2 -O0 -Iinclude -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux -I/
usr/local/development/ruby-mods/FXRuby-1.0.10/ext/fox -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H -DH
AVE_SIGNAL_H   -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/fox -c
core_wrap.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/math.h:63,
                 from /usr/local/include/fox/fx.h:31,
                 from include/FXRbCommon.h:55,
                 from core_wrap.cpp:384:
/usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:86: declaration of `double acosh (double)
throw ()' throws different exceptions
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:15: than previous declaration
`double acosh (double)'
/usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:88: declaration of `double asinh (double)
throw ()' throws different exceptions
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:16: than previous declaration
`double asinh (double)'
/usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:90: declaration of `double atanh (double)
throw ()' throws different exceptions
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:17: than previous declaration
`double atanh (double)'
/usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:150: declaration of `double hypot
(double, double) throw ()' throws different exceptions
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:43: than previous declaration
`double hypot (double,
double)'
make: *** [core_wrap.o] Error 1
setup failed
'system make' failed
try 'ruby install.rb --help' for usage

I'm using ruby 1.7.2 (2002-05-16) [i586-linux] on Mandrake 8.2, with
fox-1.0.11 installed from source.
Is there a way around this error?

Thanks,

James

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:52:58 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

Quote:
> Was a Linux binary for Ruby 1.7 made available? I'm trying to install from
> source, and get this error when running install.rb setup:

> install.rb: entering setup phase...
> ---> lib
> ---> lib/fox
> <--- lib/fox
> <--- lib
> ---> ext
> ---> ext/fox
> make
> install.rb:397: warning: Unsecure world writeable dir
> /usr/local/development , mode 040777
> g++ -fPIC -g -O2 -O0 -Iinclude -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux -I/
> usr/local/development/ruby-mods/FXRuby-1.0.10/ext/fox -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H -DH
> AVE_SIGNAL_H   -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/fox -c
> core_wrap.cpp
> In file included from /usr/include/math.h:63,
>                  from /usr/local/include/fox/fx.h:31,
>                  from include/FXRbCommon.h:55,
>                  from core_wrap.cpp:384:
> /usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:86: declaration of `double acosh (double)
> throw ()' throws different exceptions
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:15: than previous declaration
> `double acosh (double)'
> /usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:88: declaration of `double asinh (double)
> throw ()' throws different exceptions
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:16: than previous declaration
> `double asinh (double)'
> /usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:90: declaration of `double atanh (double)
> throw ()' throws different exceptions
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:17: than previous declaration
> `double atanh (double)'
> /usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h:150: declaration of `double hypot
> (double, double) throw ()' throws different exceptions
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux/missing.h:43: than previous declaration
> `double hypot (double,
> double)'
> make: *** [core_wrap.o] Error 1
> setup failed
> 'system make' failed
> try 'ruby install.rb --help' for usage

> I'm using ruby 1.7.2 (2002-05-16) [i586-linux] on Mandrake 8.2, with
> fox-1.0.11 installed from source.
> Is there a way around this error?

The problems you're seeing suggest to me that something's broken with
your Ruby installation.

For some reason, the compiler is seeing the declarations of acosh(),
asinh(), atanh() and hypot() in Ruby's "missing.h" header file. and
(correctly) reporting that they're inconsistent with the declarations
for those functions from the standard "math.h" include file. But when
you configured and built Ruby 1.7 from the source code, it *should* have
generated a "config.h" include file that defines the symbols HAVE_ACOSH
and HAVE_HYPOT. The presence of those preprocessor symbols would in turn
direct the compiler to skip over the offending declarations of asinh()
and friends in Ruby's "missing.h".

OK.

What I would try in this situation is to reconfigure and rebuild Ruby
1.7. That means changing to the source directory and doing:

        make distclean
        ./autoconf
        ./configure
        make
        make install

The first three steps are particularly important. You might want to
check the contents of the config.h include file after running
"configure" to confirm that HAVE_ACOSH and HAVE_HYPOT are indeed
defined; they should be on a Linux system.

After updating the code like this, FXRuby should build cleanly against
Ruby 1.7; I'm doing this on a fairly regular basis against the latest
CVS sources for Ruby. But if you're still stuck after updating your
Ruby, let me know and I can conjure up an RPM.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:39:04 GMT
 ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.10 Now Available

Quote:
> The problems you're seeing suggest to me that something's broken with
> your Ruby installation.

This turned out to be true, though not at all obvious until now.

Quote:

> For some reason, the compiler is seeing the declarations of acosh(),
> asinh(), atanh() and hypot() in Ruby's "missing.h" header file. and
> (correctly) reporting that they're inconsistent with the declarations
> for those functions from the standard "math.h" include file. But when
> you configured and built Ruby 1.7 from the source code, it *should* have
> generated a "config.h" include file that defines the symbols HAVE_ACOSH
> and HAVE_HYPOT. The presence of those preprocessor symbols would in turn
> direct the compiler to skip over the offending declarations of asinh()
> and friends in Ruby's "missing.h".

> OK.

> What I would try in this situation is to reconfigure and rebuild Ruby
> 1.7. That means changing to the source directory and doing:

>    make distclean
>    ./autoconf
>    ./configure
>    make
>    make install

Apparently, if I recall ,since the CVS source does not come with a
configure script (nor an autoconf), I simply copied the configure script
from the 1.6 source.  That's probably not a good practice.

I'm thinking now that, when there's a file called README, it's probably a
good idea to, like, read it.
(I just took a look, and sure enough it says that if there is no configure,
run autoconf to generate one.)

I tried to run the autoconf on my system, but got an error about its
version being too low.  I installed autoconf from source (obtained from the
GNU site) and rebuilt ruby. Very good.

Quote:

> The first three steps are particularly important. You might want to
> check the contents of the config.h include file after running
> "configure" to confirm that HAVE_ACOSH and HAVE_HYPOT are indeed
> defined; they should be on a Linux system.

They did, after the rebuild.

Quote:

> After updating the code like this, FXRuby should build cleanly against
> Ruby 1.7; I'm doing this on a fairly regular basis against the latest
> CVS sources for Ruby. But if you're still stuck after updating your
> Ruby, let me know and I can conjure up an RPM.

FXRuby built fine.  I then had to adjust the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH so
that fox.so could find libFOX-1.0.so.0

Quote:

> Hope this helps,

It helped immensely.  Thank you very much.

James

> Lyle

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:37:05 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: Harbour FAQ v1.10 now available

2. ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.11 Now Available

3. ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.3 Now Available

4. ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-0.99.188 Now Available

5. ANNOUNCE: FXRuby 0.99.180 Now Available

6. ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-0.99.161 now available

7. FOX and FXRuby on Mac OS X 10.2.2

8. ANNOUNCE: Expert Guide for Windows v1.0.10

9. ANNOUNCE: Python 10 Birds of a Feather session on a Python distributed transaction framework

10. ANNOUNCE: Python 10 Birds of a Feather session on a Python persistence framework

11. ANNOUNCE: new AWS version (0.9.10)

12. ANNOUNCE: ALINK v1.1 and IMPLIB v.10