Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !
Author Message
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !

Hello...

I'm having problems installing Ruby for Windows
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Everytime when installing, the program halt with "Extract: runit_.rb". I've
been running it for an hour and it doesn't continue ! When pressing
CTR-ALT-DEL the program doesn't show a "Not Responding" message (so the file
isn't damage!) I've downloaded it 3 times now (from the same site) and it
keeps giving me the same problem.

I'm running MS Windows 98 SE on a Pentium 133 MHz, 64 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HD
Space.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Lennie De Villiers

ICQ# 57008830

PocketStudio Professional
Pocket-Technologies.Inc
- www.pocket-technologies.com

Write PalmOS Applications With Your delphi Skills!

PL/I for Palm Project:
subject-line.

--- Remove ~ and 9s from e-mail address to reply ---

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:32:21 GMT
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:32:21 +0200, "D De Villiers"

Quote:

>Everytime when installing, the program halt with "Extract: runit_.rb". I've
>been running it for an hour and it doesn't continue ! When pressing
>CTR-ALT-DEL the program doesn't show a "Not Responding" message (so the file
>isn't damage!) I've downloaded it 3 times now (from the same site) and it
>keeps giving me the same problem.

I had a similar problem using the one from the Practical Programming
book.  It would get most of the way through install and then when it
got to the point where it would prompt me for environment settings
the input window was corrupted.  I killed it with a Process View
utility and set the environment settings inside the IDE to get
going.  I have Win 98 2nd Edition too so maybe it's some interaction
with 2nd edition it doesn't like.  Anyway, try getting PViewPlus from
Brad Stowers(you should find it on a web search) to make it easier
to kill the installer and you should be able to get it going without
much pain.  If it's crapping out on your system at the same place
it did on mine then all the files are installed and you should be able
to get it to go.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:14:28 GMT
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !
Andrew Hunt,

Quote:
> I haven't seen this problem with the Ruby installer before,
> but I *have* seen this problem installing other software
> under Win98.
> By hand, remove any partially installed files, and then
> try running "scandisk" (or checkdisk or whatever they
> call it these days.)  I was installing a music program
> that died just like that, and after giving Windows a chance
> to fix the disks up, it worked okay on the first try.

Ok, I followed your advice and Scandisk + Defrag my computer 2 times but it
still keep stopping at "Extract: runit_.rb" in installation.

Maybe the installer is corrupted ! <g> On the server (not at my end).

Regards,

Lennie De Villiers

ICQ# 57008830

PocketStudio Professional
Pocket-Technologies.Inc
- www.pocket-technologies.com

Write PalmOS Applications With Your Delphi Skills!

PL/I for Palm Project:
----------------------
http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/PLI_Palm/

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:02:37 GMT
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ruby/downloads/ruby-install.html

Have you tried the one from the site above?  This is the download
I used.  It didn't go smoothly as I noted before but at least I was
able to get it working.  If it doesn't seem to hang until the part
where it asks you for some environment variables or other
settings then you should be able to work with it.  The installer
does seem awfully slow compared to most Windows installs.
ActivePython and ActivePerl are around 12 MB .msi files and
they run through in like less than 2 minutes.  I don't know why
this installer creeks along but the whole time it made me nervous. :)

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:17:51 GMT
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:32:21 +0200, "D De Villiers"

Quote:

>Hello...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if you do get it going you'd
probably enjoy the experience much more if you download
RDE environment and then point the RDE help menus to
the Practical Programming HtmlHelp files.  Best of both
worlds.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:20:04 GMT
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !
Michael Kelly,

Quote:
> I had a similar problem using the one from the Practical Programming
> book.  It would get most of the way through install and then when it
> got to the point where it would prompt me for environment settings
> the input window was corrupted.  I killed it with a Process View
> utility and set the environment settings inside the IDE to get
> going.  I have Win 98 2nd Edition too so maybe it's some interaction
> with 2nd edition it doesn't like.  Anyway, try getting PViewPlus from
> Brad Stowers(you should find it on a web search) to make it easier
> to kill the installer and you should be able to get it going without
> much pain.  If it's crapping out on your system at the same place
> it did on mine then all the files are installed and you should be able
> to get it to go.

That's exactly the one I'm also using !! I got Ruby for Windows to run, but
some of the files isn't installed (/samples etc) after stopping the
installer.

I found that if you don't install the documentation & samples there is no
problem and nothing goes wrong with the installation.
(problem with installer).

Regards,

Lennie De Villiers

ICQ# 57008830

PocketStudio Professional
Pocket-Technologies.Inc
- www.pocket-technologies.com

Write PalmOS Applications With Your Delphi Skills!

PL/I for Palm Project:
----------------------
http://www.crosswinds.net/~lennie2000/comp/PLI_Palm/

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 07:13:52 GMT
 Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:13:52 GMT, "D De Villiers"

Quote:

>That's exactly the one I'm also using !! I got Ruby for Windows to run, but
>some of the files isn't installed (/samples etc) after stopping the
>installer.

Hmmmm, on looking mine installed the samples.  Oh well, the installer
probably uses some shell extention or something funky. :)

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:54:02 GMT

1. Problem in Installing Windows Ruby 1.6.3

2. Installing Ruby using Windows 98

3. installing ruby-zlib on windows

4. Help: I need the windows install for ruby

5. Has anyone had success with installing MySQL-ruby on Windows

6. Simple binary install for Ruby/GTK underMS Windows?

7. Problems installing cvs ruby to user dir

8. Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem

9. Problems installing FX/Ruby

10. Ruby/Qt2 install problem

11. ruby 1.6 install problem on AIX and HP (PR#59)

12. Problem installing Personal Eiffel for Windows