Wiki??
Author Message
 Wiki??

Hi all,

    This question is going to seem retarded, but what is a Wiki? I see it
all over the Internet now, and I feel left out. Can someone explain? Thanks
in advance.

--
Toby DiPasquale
Solaris Systems Administrator

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:52:32 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:

> Hi all,

>     This question is going to seem retarded, but what is a Wiki? I see it
> all over the Internet now, and I feel left out. Can someone explain? Thanks
> in advance.

To grok wiki, hit:

        http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?PhlIp

Now at the bottom of the page, click on "Edit test of this page".

In the big edit field you get, click at the bottom and type this:

        I taught TobiasDiPasquale how to Wiki.

Observe I left the spaces out of your name. That's a feature.

Click on Save.

Observe you changed my page. Now click on the question mark after your
own name.

Enter "I like Ruby and Wikis" or more.

Observe you are adding pages to a dynamic Web site that automatically
links words written with EmbeddedCapitals to pages with the same name.

Now observe how this simple trick subsumes the entire concept of a
literary forum. Without the paperwork, threading or haggling of any
kind.

--
Phlip

http://www.greencheese.org/SonseOne

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:36:35 GMT
 Wiki??
 And we all hit the link to see if he has followed your instructions...no???

;-)

Mikkel

>     This question is going to seem retarded, but what is a Wiki? I see
it
> all over the Internet now, and I feel left out. Can someone explain?
Thanks
> in advance.

To grok wiki, hit:

        http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?PhlIp

Now at the bottom of the page, click on "Edit test of this page".

In the big edit field you get, click at the bottom and type this:

        I taught TobiasDiPasquale how to Wiki.

Observe I left the spaces out of your name. That's a feature.

Click on Save.

Observe you changed my page. Now click on the question mark after your
own name.

Enter "I like Ruby and Wikis" or more.

Observe you are adding pages to a dynamic Web site that automatically
links words written with EmbeddedCapitals to pages with the same name.

Now observe how this simple trick subsumes the entire concept of a
literary forum. Without the paperwork, threading or haggling of any
kind.

--
Phlip

http://www.greencheese.org/SonseOne

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:09:50 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:
> Observe you are adding pages to a dynamic Web site that automatically
> links words written with EmbeddedCapitals to pages with the same name.

> Now observe how this simple trick subsumes the entire concept of a
> literary forum. Without the paperwork, threading or haggling of any
> kind.

So how do I delete a page after I've created it... (it looks like I
can't...).

Oh, and where can I get the software that runs Ruby Garden?

Bob

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:49:19 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:

> So how do I delete a page after I've created it... (it looks like I
> can't...).

I should have mentioned that I really don't want my name on the front
page of Ruby Garden--I don't consider my not-very-useful page to be a
critical resource! Most other wiki pages are not listed there. Why are
some personal pages listed?

Bob

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:56:36 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:

> I should have mentioned that I really don't want my name on the front
> page of Ruby Garden--I don't consider my not-very-useful page to be a
> critical resource! Most other wiki pages are not listed there. Why are
> some personal pages listed?

Well, the WikiWay is to list them where they're referenced--Wikis
aren't big on indices.

However, you might want to create a page for a user group in your area
and add your name to it:

     http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyUserGroups

Regards

Dave

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:46:49 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:
> Well, the WikiWay is to list them where they're referenced--Wikis
> aren't big on indices.

> However, you might want to create a page for a user group in your area
> and add your name to it:

>      http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyUserGroups

I should have made that clearer: I followed the instructions that Phlip
gave to Tobias to add a create a new page from Phlip's page. That is, I
edited Phlip's page and then edited (via the ? on the new link) my own
page.

The problem is that my page shows up on the front page of Ruby Garden
(as does Tobias's) in a list of wiki's. Maybe this is just a list of
recently created ones...

Anyway, I still don't know how to delete a page once I've created it.

Bob

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:09:27 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:

> The problem is that my page shows up on the front page of Ruby Garden
> (as does Tobias's) in a list of wiki's. Maybe this is just a list of
> recently created ones...

It just shows the last 'n' pages that have been changed: your's will
gradually slide down to the bottom.

Traditionally you don't delete Wiki pages, so there isn't a public
mechanism to do it.

Dave

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:36:19 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:

> > So how do I delete a page after I've created it... (it looks like I
> > can't...).

> I should have mentioned that I really don't want my name on the front
> page of Ruby Garden--I don't consider my not-very-useful page to be a
> critical resource! Most other wiki pages are not listed there. Why are
> some personal pages listed?

Wikis contain only user-servicable parts. There are no
technician-servicable parts inside.

Do not turn your Wiki upside down and shake it.

--
Phlip

http://www.greencheese.org

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:01:26 GMT
 Wiki??

Quote:

> > Having said that,
> > it would be an interesting exercise if someone were
> > to recode Usemod
> > in Ruby: I think it would be a lot cleaner, and
> > would be a very useful
> > tool to have. If there was a conversion tool, I'l
> > happily switch my
> > wikis across to use it.

> Nathaniel Talbott and Jimmy Thrasher have a Wiki in
> Ruby (NaniWiki) that looks like (sort of) what you're
> looking for.  More simple than RWiki.  Shouldn't be
> too difficult to write a script to convert usemod to
> it.  I haven't actually tried to install this wiki
> yet, but I have read through the code.  Looks to be
> well written, complete with a full test suite (of
> course), which should make it pretty easy to jump
> into.  Nathaniel mentioned that it still needed a lot
> of work, but it's much better than nothing.  It might
> even be possible to write a new backend (NaniWiki
> seems to support pluggable backends) that would work
> with usemod files.

I have a wiki in ruby that's almost complete (and has some overworked
parts in it :) ).  Some of the code is not very beautiful but we have
been running it at work for over half a year.  I should just need to add
the missing parts and make a relase of it and it should be usable.  I
think it supports everything usemod does (including InterWiki stuff).
And it also has some extra features I haven't seen in any other wiki. It
uses RCS for storage but the storage is a separate class so it should be
easy to change.

/Erik

--
Erik B?gfors               | http://www.ardendo.se/

fingerprint: 6666 A85B 95D3 D26B 296B 6C60 4F32 2C0B 693D 6E32

Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:57 GMT

1. How to set up a Wiki Wiki Web

2. New RSS Feed - UIUC VW Wiki

3. Wiki won't wrap