Pre-compiled binaries for Mac OSX?
Author Message
 Pre-compiled binaries for Mac OSX?

A friend is interested in trying out Ruby on his Mac OSX machine.  I don't
think he wants to have to compile it from source, he would prefer a
pre-compiled binary that will install under OSX.  I notice that on the RAA
there is a precompiled Ruby 1.6.4 listed under the project name 'Ruby /
Mac OSX'

I also searched the ng archives and found that someone else has one at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Of the two, which one are OSX people using?

Which of them is more up to date?

Phil

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:19:36 GMT
 Pre-compiled binaries for Mac OSX?

Quote:

> A friend is interested in trying out Ruby on his Mac OSX machine.  I don't
> think he wants to have to compile it from source, he would prefer a
> pre-compiled binary that will install under OSX.  I notice that on the RAA
> there is a precompiled Ruby 1.6.4 listed under the project name 'Ruby /
> Mac OSX'

Chris Gehlker told me there's a precompiled binary of Ruby for Max OS
X 10.* at

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_apps_utilities/rubyprogram...

Yup - apple.com.

Dave

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:17:40 GMT
 Pre-compiled binaries for Mac OSX?

Quote:

>> A friend is interested in trying out Ruby on his Mac OSX machine.  I don't
>> think he wants to have to compile it from source, he would prefer a
>> pre-compiled binary that will install under OSX.  I notice that on the RAA
>> there is a precompiled Ruby 1.6.4 listed under the project name 'Ruby /
>> Mac OSX'

>Chris Gehlker told me there's a precompiled binary of Ruby for Max OS
>X 10.* at

>http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_apps_utilities/rubyprogram...

>Yup - apple.com.

Wow.  Thanks.

BTW: I recall that there was a thread here several months ago about how
Apple was evaluating Ruby for perhaps playing the role of _the preferred_
scripting language for OSX.  Anybody hear anymore about this?

Phil

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:41:51 GMT
 Pre-compiled binaries for Mac OSX?

    Phil> I also searched the ng archives and found that someone else
    Phil> has one at: http://homepage.mac.com/johannh

Most people are compiling their own, AFAIK.  After that, there's the
link Dave cited and the 1.6.4 link.  As far as I know, no one other
than me is using my package.

That being said, I've had no problems with my package, but it's pretty
non-standard.  I put all the libraries in the Ruby Framework (so they
can be relocated), rather than in /usr/local/lib, as is common.

--Johann

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 05:16:04 GMT

1. Pre-compiled Python binaries

2. Multi-User Database application (max 5 users) Cross platform Mac OS9 - OSX - Windows

3. REXX for MAC OSX - Any Available?

4. Mac OSX, X Ruby and Tk

5. Ruby is part of Mac OSX 10.2

6. Looking for IDE for Mac OSX

7. Mac OSX compilation

8. GNAT on Mac OSX

9. IBM Fortran for Mac OSX ?

10. MAC OSX Fortran

11. install pysql on mac osx

12. Help building a Tcl/Tk Mac-OSX universal application