testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb) 
Author Message
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Hi

I have installed on FreeBSD and Sun with no problems.
Since it works on the other OS's and it makes it
through config and setup, it may be a setup.rb problem.

Installing on MacOSX (ruby 173) gives the following
error:

% ruby -v
ruby 1.7.3 (2002-12-19) [powerpc-darwin5.5]
% ruby setup.rb install
setup.rb: entering install phase...
---> packages
---> packages/runit-compat
---> lib
mkdir -p /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/
install rubyunit.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/
---> lib/runit
mkdir -p /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install assert.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install error.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install testcase.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install testresult.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install testsuite.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install testunit-installed
/Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
install topublic.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
---> lib/runit/cui
mkdir -p /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit/cui
install testrunner.rb
/Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit/cui
<--- lib/runit/cui
<--- lib/runit
<--- lib
<--- packages/runit-compat
---> packages/testunit
---> lib
Loaded suite TS_TestUnit
Started
..
Failure!!!
test_suite(Test::Unit::TC_TestCase):
Should have had one test failure
.
install failed
hook
/Users/jdf/downloads/ruby/testunit-0.1.5/packages/testunit/lib/pre-install.rb
failed:
stack level too deep
try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for usage

--
Jim Freeze
----------
Harris's Lament:
        All the good ones are taken.



Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:14:05 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)
I don't have a fix, but I can confirm this.  I had trouble with it
yesterday when I was trying to get FXRuby set up.  Thought to myself
"Hey, let's install TestUnit and see how the FXRuby tests go."

Like I said: same results at the same spot.  The only difference is that
I was using ruby1.6.8pre4.  I may not be fixing much, but I am good at
confirming problems! :-)

-Brian W

Quote:
> Hi

> I have installed on FreeBSD and Sun with no problems.
> Since it works on the other OS's and it makes it
> through config and setup, it may be a setup.rb problem.

> Installing on MacOSX (ruby 173) gives the following
> error:

> % ruby -v
> ruby 1.7.3 (2002-12-19) [powerpc-darwin5.5]
> % ruby setup.rb install
> setup.rb: entering install phase...
> ---> packages
> ---> packages/runit-compat
> ---> lib
> mkdir -p /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/
> install rubyunit.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/
> ---> lib/runit
> mkdir -p /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install assert.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install error.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install testcase.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install testresult.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install testsuite.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install testunit-installed
> /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> install topublic.rb /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit
> ---> lib/runit/cui
> mkdir -p /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit/cui
> install testrunner.rb
> /Users/jdf/ruby173/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/runit/cui
> <--- lib/runit/cui
> <--- lib/runit
> <--- lib
> <--- packages/runit-compat
> ---> packages/testunit
> ---> lib
> Loaded suite TS_TestUnit
> Started
> ...
> Failure!!!
> test_suite(Test::Unit::TC_TestCase):
> Should have had one test failure
> ..
> install failed
> hook

/Users/jdf/downloads/ruby/testunit-0.1.5/packages/testunit/lib/pre-install.rb

Quote:
> failed:
> stack level too deep
> try 'ruby setup.rb --help' for usage

> --
> Jim Freeze
> ----------
> Harris's Lament:
>    All the good ones are taken.

--
Brian Wisti (brian at coolnamehere dot com)
http://coolnamehere.com/


Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:35:13 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:

> I don't have a fix, but I can confirm this.  I had trouble with it
> yesterday when I was trying to get FXRuby set up.  Thought to myself
> "Hey, let's install TestUnit and see how the FXRuby tests go."

Side note:

Nathaniel release testunit-0.1.5 (with the name change for
TestCase#set_up) about five seconds after I released FXRuby-1.0.17. So
none of the FXRuby unit tests will run with that version of Test::Unit.
[This has been fixed in the FXRuby CVS.]



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 04:26:47 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:

> > I don't have a fix, but I can confirm this.  I had trouble with it
> > yesterday when I was trying to get FXRuby set up.  Thought to myself
> > "Hey, let's install TestUnit and see how the FXRuby tests go."

> Side note:

> Nathaniel release testunit-0.1.5 (with the name change for
> TestCase#set_up) about five seconds after I released FXRuby-1.0.17. So
> none of the FXRuby unit tests will run with that version of Test::Unit.
> [This has been fixed in the FXRuby CVS.]

I'll keep that in mind if I ever get FXRuby or TestUnit compiled ;-)
These are the moments that I miss the home machine.  Windows and Linux
may not be perfect, but at least I'm familiar with their particular foibles.

-Brian W
--
Brian Wisti (brian at coolnamehere dot com)
http://coolnamehere.com/



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:06:48 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:


> I'll keep that in mind if I ever get FXRuby or TestUnit compiled ;-)
> These are the moments that I miss the home machine.  Windows and Linux
> may not be perfect, but at least I'm familiar with their particular foibles.

If you need testunit on your mac, you can install it on your linux box
and just copy the <RUBYLIB>/test directory over to the mac. I did that
and testunit runs fine... just won't install.

--
Jim Freeze
----------
The shortest distance between two points is under construction.
                -- Noelie Alito



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:25:29 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:

> I have installed on FreeBSD and Sun with no problems.
> Since it works on the other OS's and it makes it
> through config and setup, it may be a setup.rb problem.

> Installing on MacOSX (ruby 173) gives the following
> error:

<snip>

Yes, it is a known issue that installing fails on OS X, and I have no
earthly idea why (and no OS X box around on which to figure it out).
It's dying when it tries to run the tests from within the install
process, but if I remember correctly, running those exact same tests
from the command line gives no problems. Perhaps you could investigate?
;-)

It should work fine if you either (a) comment out running the tests, or
(b) just copy the files over manually.

I'd love to know what the stack looks like when it hits that "too deep"
point.

Nathaniel

<:((><
+ - -
| RoleModel Software, Inc.
| EQUIP VI



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:19:11 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

[snip]

Quote:
> I'd love to know what the stack looks like when it hits that "too deep"
> point.

> Nathaniel

Well, I can't get to anything detailed at the moment (trying to pretend
I'm actually a productive worker), but here is the output with warning
and debug turned on:

/usr/local/bin/ruby -wd setup.rb setup
-----

setup.rb: entering setup phase...
---> packages
---> packages/runit-compat
---> lib
---> lib/runit
---> lib/runit/cui
<--- lib/runit/cui
<--- lib/runit
<--- lib
<--- packages/runit-compat
---> packages/testunit
---> lib
---> lib/test
---> lib/test/unit
---> lib/test/unit/ui
---> lib/test/unit/ui/console
<--- lib/test/unit/ui/console
---> lib/test/unit/ui/fox
<--- lib/test/unit/ui/fox
---> lib/test/unit/ui/gtk
Exception `SystemStackError' at setup.rb:294 - stack level too deep
setup failed
Exception `SystemStackError' at setup.rb:721 - stack level too deep
Exception `SystemStackError' at setup.rb:1045 - stack level too deep
setup.rb:294:in `dir?': stack level too deep (SystemStackError)
        from setup.rb:305:in `all_dirs'
        from setup.rb:305:in `find_all'
        from setup.rb:305:in `each'
        from setup.rb:305:in `find_all'
        from setup.rb:305:in `all_dirs'
        from setup.rb:304:in `open'
        from setup.rb:304:in `all_dirs'
        from setup.rb:634:in `traverse'
         ... 37 levels...
        from setup.rb:711:in `exectask'
        from setup.rb:902:in `exectask'
        from setup.rb:704:in `execute'
        from setup.rb:1043
-----
--
Brian Wisti (brian at coolnamehere dot com)
http://coolnamehere.com/



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:30:20 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)
I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.3 and Ruby 1.6.8 preview 4 (12-19-2002).  I get
the following when I try to run 'sudo ruby setup.rb install':

setup.rb: entering install phase...
---> packages
---> packages/runit-compat
---> lib
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/
install rubyunit.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/
---> lib/runit
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install assert.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install error.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install testcase.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install testresult.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install testsuite.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install testunit-installed /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
install topublic.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit
---> lib/runit/cui
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit/cui
install testrunner.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/runit/cui
<--- lib/runit/cui
<--- lib/runit
<--- lib
<--- packages/runit-compat
---> packages/testunit
---> lib
Loaded suite TS_TestUnit
Started
Illegal instruction

How would I comment out running the tests and which files should be
manually moved to which folders?  Thank you for a great program (I used
the earlier version without incident with Ruby 1.6.7).



Quote:

>> I have installed on FreeBSD and Sun with no problems.
>> Since it works on the other OS's and it makes it
>> through config and setup, it may be a setup.rb problem.

>> Installing on MacOSX (ruby 173) gives the following
>> error:

> <snip>

> Yes, it is a known issue that installing fails on OS X, and I have no
> earthly idea why (and no OS X box around on which to figure it out).
> It's dying when it tries to run the tests from within the install
> process, but if I remember correctly, running those exact same tests
> from the command line gives no problems. Perhaps you could investigate?
> ;-)

> It should work fine if you either (a) comment out running the tests, or
> (b) just copy the files over manually.

> I'd love to know what the stack looks like when it hits that "too deep"
> point.

> Nathaniel

> <:((><
> + - -
> | RoleModel Software, Inc.
> | EQUIP VI



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:32:10 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)
I figured out the problem.  The default stacksize on Mac OS X is 512
kbytes.  You can see this by running 'limit stacksize'.  This can be
changed by running 'unlimit stacksize'.  This gives a stacksize of
65536 kbytes (the system maximum).  OS X sets the stacksize limit to
512 kbytes for every newly opened terminal.

Once I unlimited stacksize, I was able to complete the install process.

Quote:

> [snip]

>> I'd love to know what the stack looks like when it hits that "too
>> deep"
>> point.

>> Nathaniel

> Well, I can't get to anything detailed at the moment (trying to pretend
> I'm actually a productive worker), but here is the output with warning
> and debug turned on:

> /usr/local/bin/ruby -wd setup.rb setup
> -----

> setup.rb: entering setup phase...
> ---> packages
> ---> packages/runit-compat
> ---> lib
> ---> lib/runit
> ---> lib/runit/cui
> <--- lib/runit/cui
> <--- lib/runit
> <--- lib
> <--- packages/runit-compat
> ---> packages/testunit
> ---> lib
> ---> lib/test
> ---> lib/test/unit
> ---> lib/test/unit/ui
> ---> lib/test/unit/ui/console
> <--- lib/test/unit/ui/console
> ---> lib/test/unit/ui/fox
> <--- lib/test/unit/ui/fox
> ---> lib/test/unit/ui/gtk
> Exception `SystemStackError' at setup.rb:294 - stack level too deep
> setup failed
> Exception `SystemStackError' at setup.rb:721 - stack level too deep
> Exception `SystemStackError' at setup.rb:1045 - stack level too deep
> setup.rb:294:in `dir?': stack level too deep (SystemStackError)
>         from setup.rb:305:in `all_dirs'
>         from setup.rb:305:in `find_all'
>         from setup.rb:305:in `each'
>         from setup.rb:305:in `find_all'
>         from setup.rb:305:in `all_dirs'
>         from setup.rb:304:in `open'
>         from setup.rb:304:in `all_dirs'
>         from setup.rb:634:in `traverse'
>          ... 37 levels...
>         from setup.rb:711:in `exectask'
>         from setup.rb:902:in `exectask'
>         from setup.rb:704:in `execute'
>         from setup.rb:1043
> -----
> --
> Brian Wisti (brian at coolnamehere dot com)
> http://coolnamehere.com/



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:40:34 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:
> I figured out the problem.  The default stacksize on Mac OS X is 512
> kbytes.  You can see this by running 'limit stacksize'.  This can be
> changed by running 'unlimit stacksize'.  This gives a stacksize of
> 65536 kbytes (the system maximum).  OS X sets the stacksize limit to
> 512 kbytes for every newly opened terminal.

> Once I unlimited stacksize, I was able to complete the install process.

Thanks, that worked like a charm.  Now if only I could remember what I
was trying to do in the first place ;-)

-Brian W

--
Brian Wisti (brian at coolnamehere dot com)
http://coolnamehere.com/



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:47:55 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:

> I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.3 and Ruby 1.6.8 preview 4 (12-19-2002).  I get
> the following when I try to run 'sudo ruby setup.rb install':

Have you tried:

  su
  ruby setup.rb install

--
Jim Freeze



Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:44:09 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)

Quote:

> I figured out the problem.  The default stacksize on Mac OS X is 512
> kbytes.  You can see this by running 'limit stacksize'.  This can be
> changed by running 'unlimit stacksize'.  This gives a stacksize of
> 65536 kbytes (the system maximum).  OS X sets the stacksize limit to
> 512 kbytes for every newly opened terminal.

> Once I unlimited stacksize, I was able to complete the
> install process.

Hmmm... so, is it a problem with OS X, setup.rb, Test::Unit's use of
setup.rb, or all three? What's the right longterm solution?

Of course, it should become a moot point in the 1.8 line, as Test::Unit
will come with the distribution itself, obviating the need for
installation.

Nathaniel

<:((><
+ - -
| RoleModel Software, Inc.
| EQUIP VI



Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:53:46 GMT  
 testunit-0.1.5 install failure (may be setup.rb)
I don't know about setup.rb or Test::Unit's use of setup.rb (I will try
to educate myself on these topics).  I think the stacksize limit that
causes the problem is a feature of Mac OS X and that it may also create
an issue for other FreeBSD based systems.

For a new process, including a terminal process, Mac OS X sets various
environment variables, including resource limits.  I don't know where
the values for these limits are stored (yet).  Most of these limits
have a "soft limit" and a "hard limit".  The soft limit for stacksize
is 512 kilobytes (the minimum system block size).  The stacksize soft
limit can be unlimited to the hard limit (65536 kbytes on my system).  
If the "stack limit is reached, the process receives a segmentation
fault (SIGSEGV); if this signal is not caught by a handler using the
signal stack, this signal will kill the process."  See

http://www.osxfaq.com/man/2/getrlimit.ws

Presumably, an installation script could check the stack limit and
unlimit it if necessary.

On Saturday, December 28, 2002, at 07:53 PM,

Quote:


>> I figured out the problem.  The default stacksize on Mac OS X is 512
>> kbytes.  You can see this by running 'limit stacksize'.  This can be
>> changed by running 'unlimit stacksize'.  This gives a stacksize of
>> 65536 kbytes (the system maximum).  OS X sets the stacksize limit to
>> 512 kbytes for every newly opened terminal.

>> Once I unlimited stacksize, I was able to complete the
>> install process.

> Hmmm... so, is it a problem with OS X, setup.rb, Test::Unit's use of
> setup.rb, or all three? What's the right longterm solution?

> Of course, it should become a moot point in the 1.8 line, as Test::Unit
> will come with the distribution itself, obviating the need for
> installation.

> Nathaniel

> <:((><
> + - -
> | RoleModel Software, Inc.
> | EQUIP VI



Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:43:16 GMT  
 
 [ 13 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. replace setup.rb/install.rb with builtin module

2. install.rb/setup.rb question

3. Problem installing testunit 0.1.4 on OSX

4. install.rb: avoiding file name collisions (raa-install too)

5. testunit - setup -> set_up or setUp?

6. Test suite failures may indicate serious series of problems in latest patched Tk

7. Seattle.rb May Meeting (Pre-Announcement)

8. I am clinically stupid. (fastcgi.rb bug)

9. Error using setup.py install

10. Installing .py modules with Setup.in and Makefile.pre.in

11. Idle setup install falis on Win2k

12. How to use setup.py to compile a C extension rather than to install it

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software