Sent: 19 July 2002 11:48

Subject: Ruby and coding contests (was Re: Selling ruby to my boss)

Hello --

> > I've seen some pretty messy looking code in this list. Especially the
> > one liners that do some crazy task. But all the code I've written is
> > pretty simple. I guess it depends on those who originally code
something.

> Is there a Convoluted Ruby Contest like there is for Perl?

NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and
proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its
subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely
for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or
other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and
may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for
viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract
may be construed by this e-mail.

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:03:56 GMT
 Using ruby effectively
Have you tried 'Programming Ruby : The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide' ?

IMHO, does quite a good job at explaining language concepts even down to how
classes and objects behave under the skin.

--
Justin Johnson.

Quote:
> The only Ruby code I can really read is mine, because it looks like Pascal
> ported to Ruby.

> There are many, many features of this language that I don't use, nor do I
> understand them.  I think the Pickaxe book is great (and many thanks to
> Wayne for giving me a paper copy)... but what is needed is a book or
> something that explains the concepts behind the language, as well as the
> language, and WHY and HOW you want and need to use them.

> My two cents.

> Mark
> http://retrobbs.org

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:28:19 GMT
 Using ruby effectively

Quote:
> There are many, many features of this language that I don't use, nor do I
> understand them.  I think the Pickaxe book is great (and many thanks to
> Wayne for giving me a paper copy)... but what is needed is a book or
> something that explains the concepts behind the language, as well as the
> language, and WHY and HOW you want and need to use them.

I strongly recommend Hal Fulton's book "The Ruby Way". I'm not sure I'd say
it addresses the "concepts behind the language" so much, but it definitely
covers the how and why of a lot of Ruby's features.

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:55:24 GMT
 Using ruby effectively
"Firestone, Mark - Technical Support" schrieb:

Quote:
> I think the Pickaxe book is great (and many
> thanks to Wayne for giving me a paper copy)...

Justin Johnson schrieb:

Quote:
> Have you tried 'Programming Ruby :
> The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide' ?

I think the latter *is* the Pickaxe ...

Det

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:37:08 GMT

1. Using BLT barchart effectively

2. SQL - How to use Prop:Sql effectively

3. Can it be done, effectively?

4. how to study Labview effectively if I can not take a training course and

5. Checking memory contents effectively...HOW?

6. How to stop this race condition more effectively

7. How to effectively use exception

8. pthread trouble with ruby-opengl on FreeBSD (was: Re: [announcement] Ruby 3D Ruby)

9. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

10. Using ruby-pam in a CGI

11. Compiling / Extending ruby using Visual Studio IDE

12. Exasperated with ruby/tk - anybody successfully using it?